Let's Talk Bati......

A forum for all 'english-speaking' fans of Gabriel Omar Batistuta, which EVER team he's involved with!
Thanks to ALL fans for any 'Bati-news' and news about Argentina!

To make it easier to reply to posts, please don't start a new thread if there is already an existing thread related to your topic. Let's try to keep all the same news 'together'. Thanks!

Hosted by Katy...(assisted by Daryl, Linda, Mariela, Franca, Juan and Brigie)

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
Match 3 - Argentina -x- Grecia

In the last game of Group B, on Tuesday 3:30 pm (my local time) against Greece, Argentina will line up: Romero; Burdisso (Jonás suspended), Otamendi (Samuel, fully recovered from injury, but will be rested), Demichelis, Clemente Rodríguez (Heinze rests because of yellow card); Maxi Rodríguez (Last game he was in for injured Verón and he did very well but today he will play at left on expanse of Di María who is rested) , Bolatti (Mascherano rests because of yellow card), Verón (Di María rests because of scare of fatigue and injury + Verón is match fit and returns so Maxi plays on left today); Messi, Agüero (Tévez rests because of scare of fatigue + Agüero had a great time x Korea when he came as substitute) , Diego Milito (Higuaín rests because of same as Tévez's fatigue factor).

Tactically they would look like this,

---------------Romero---------------
Otamendi---Burdisso---Demichelis---Clemente
-----------------Bolatti----------------
-----------Verón---------Maxi---------
---------Messi--------Milito-----------Agüero

Practically there will be the same style of football minus Jonás's runs, Di María's pace from the left and above all Tévez's workrate and pace. Today's midfield lacks spark in my opinion. Verón (in centre) and Maxi (on the left) with Bolatti (holding the midfield) is not the most thrilling midfields of all time.

Vamos, vamos Argentina,
vamos, vamos a ganar,
que esta barra quilombera,
no te deja, no te deja de alentar

Saludos,
Juan.

Re: Match 3 - Argentina -x- Grecia

And in next 100 odd mintues we will know the position of group A. Mathematicaly South Africa and France are still in it but practically it's already over unless miracle of this century happens. We'll face either Uruguay or México in the pre quarter finals.

Well knowing both México and Uruguay, they will play for a draw as it suits them both. A draw in this game means both of them are through to the next stage regardless of the result in other game. I know both Óscar Wáshington Tabárez and and El Vasco (Javier Aguirre Onaindía). That's their speciality - knowing their job and today it is very simple. They would be likely to see the job done. And if it goes all according to the given script, we'll face México.

México, we faced them in 2006 at the same stage as well. I never prefer any specific opposition/s in a tournament for obvious reasons but México (Chile is the other for that matter) is such team i'm wary of, as they allow you to run and run and just sit back + are a package of boredom who just fatigues us.

Re: Match 3 - Argentina -x- Grecia

Well, if we win this group (and we WILL ) it will be Mexico in the next round. Uruguay have just beaten them Which mean Uruguay win the group and Mexico 2nd.

Can't WAIT for tonight... as I said in the other thread, I am watching it with a Greek!!!!

Here's a preview from FIFA!!!

Greece-Argentina preview

It's hard to know which of these two sides will be happier given the way they performed in their last Group B outings. Greece stunned Nigeria, coming from a goal behind to claim a vital victory, this after many had written off their chances. Diego Maradona's Argentina, for their part, were breathtaking at times in their 4-1 demolition of Korea Republic. The South Americans look odds-on to qualify as group winners, but the race for second place is wide open, with Otto Rehhagel's side hoping to pip Korea Republic to the prize.

The match
Greece-Argentina, Peter Mokaba Stadium, Polokwane, Tuesday 22 June, 20.30 (local time)

It has been a near-perfect start for Argentina, who have taken the maximum six points from their opening two games, conceding just once in the process. The South Americans were guilty of one lapse in concentration against the South Koreans, but Diego Maradona's side remain arguably the most eye-catching side at South Africa 2010, thanks to their free-flowing attacking style. To the delight of purists, Lionel Messi has been in inspirational form so far, and while Gonzalo Higuain may top the scoring charts, it is the little Barcelona playmaker leading the way when it comes to testing opponent's defences, with 15 shots already to his name.

Greece have not enjoyed as flawless a start, but their unexpected defeat of Nigeria in Bloemfontein last Thursday has put them firmly in the fight for second place. Prior to that, the 2004 European champions had never scored a FIFA World Cup goal, let alone won a match at the tournament, so coach Rehhagel will barely need to deliver a team-talk in Polokwane. To that end, the Southern Europeans will look to keep it simple against the two-time world champions. Greek scorer Torosidis declared after the win against Nigeria: "I don't care what happens now. I'm just delighted for the team, and for the fans who never stopped believing in us." And that release of pressure could prove to be their most dangerous weapon.

Players to watch
Gonzalo Higuain v Georgios Samaras

Gonzalo Higuain is riding high, having claimed the first hat-trick of the tournament, and the first FIFA World Cup treble in eight years, against Korea Republic. It was a display that earned him the Budweiser Man of the Match Award, so the Real Madrid star heads into this game brimming with confidence and doubtless with one eye already on the adidas Golden Boot. His eight shots on target so far dwarfs the two of Celtic striker Georgios Samaras, who is yet to get off the mark in South Africa 2010. However, Samaras made a significant impact after coming off the bench against the Super Eagles, stretching the Africans' defence with his pace and powerful running and causing problems in the air. The Celtic striker will now look to join team-mates Dimitrios Salpingidis and Vasileios Torosidis in the goalscoring charts by finding the net against Argentina.

The stat
404 - the number of minutes Greece had gone without a FIFA World Cup goal before Dimitrios Salpingidis's 44th-minute strike against Nigeria.

What they said
"Argentina are world-class, they're clearly better than us. We still have a chance, but it'll be very hard. We're the underdogs against Argentina, that's for sure, but we'll give it our best shot. For now, we'll just enjoy the fact we've beaten Nigeria," Otto Rehhagel, Greece coach.

"Argentina are a team who go forward. We have good players, attacking players. We must go out on the attack and show our class. We must get forward and put our opponents under pressure," Carlos Tevez, Argentina forward.

Voice of the fans
"I think Argentina is a powerful group. With Maradona as their coach they will get a chance... As long as they dont lose their focus this is going to be great." FIFA.com user Askachan (Puerto Rico)

The question
Will Greece be able to subdue an Argentina side that has scored five goals in their opening two games?
fifa.com

AGUANTE ARGENTINA!!!

AGUANTE ARGENTINA, CARAJO!!! We have won!!! Congratulations, Demichelis and Palermo for your goals!!! Mexico, your time has come!!!

MANY, MANY THANKS MY SELECCION FOR GIVING ME THIS HAPPINESS!!!

Re: AGUANTE ARGENTINA!!!

ARGENTINA ARGENTINA SO HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY THEY PLAYED A 13TH RANKED GREEK TEAM WITH 7 OF THEIR PLAYERS RESTED AMAZING .I ALSO LIKED PASTORE AND CLEMENTE SO EFFECTIVE ,CLEMENTE SHOULD START AGAINST MEXICO :)

YESSSSSSSS!!!! Another GREAT result!!! And I'm STILL celebrating!!

Poor Messi had such a DIFFICULT time being man-marked the way he was, but he still came out on top!

Bring on Mexico! Onwards and upwards!!!!

source: TN

more videos: FIFA | La Nacion

news roundup

Gracias .... Bitching ended? well it should thus far anyway

"I told you" LOL. NO?

3 out of 3 so far .... not bad, not bad at all. Now the test starts all over again.

México next up. And if Juan says listen the whole ef .. they won't be pushovers. Time for El Pibe to get the boys concentrated and be ready and time to get over the 3 in a row in copa mundial. The momentum is with us but lets not be distracted.

Yes we did possess threat thus far and yes we do possess threat for any opposition in this tourney, none of them has played TOTAL football except us. Then again it's the stage (we've entered) ACTUALLY matters then the one left behind.

( Oid mortales el grito sagrado
¡Libertad! ¡Libertad! ¡Libertad! )

Saludos,
Juan.

Re: Gracias .... Bitching ended? well it should thus far anyway

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES....I CAN FEEL IT NOW..

Re: Gracias .... Bitching ended? well it should thus far anyway

I GOING TO BE ON MY LOCAL TV STATION TMR TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE ARGENTINA I'M SOO EXCITED EEEEEKKKKK

Tough task ahead

Mexico seems moderately tough... There shouldn't be much difficulty and then its England/Germany which is really tough

Re: Tough task ahead

I've had the worst timing booking my vacation this year. I've been in New York since Monday, and missed the game against the Greeks. I've made sure no plans are in motion this afternoon though and now I'm mostly just waiting for the game to start; the real test starts here.

I agree, Linda, the real test starts here... But I believe in Maradona and the players, and I think Messi will definitely score his first goal this Sunday...

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!

Winning the WC is always challenging.

I believe we have enough quality to beat anyone. But its even more exciting at this stage one miss pass or mistake and thats it.

I am lookin fwd to another win.

Forza Albicelste.

Daryl

ARGENTINA!!!

Aguante Argentina!!! We've arrived to quaterfinals!!!
Congratulations, Apache and Pipita for your goals!!! Germany, your time has come!!!

VAMOS MI SELECCIÓN!!!

Re: ARGENTINA!!!

Argentina 3 - 1 Mexico

source: TN

Match reports, video and photos

Not sure which thread to post in re: the Mexico match, so I'll post in both! Good result and, yesssssss, it's GERMANY next!! Can't wait!!!

Jas, thanks for the video and the reports!!!

Livewire Tevez riding high

Photobucket

Carlos Tevez of Argentina celebrates scoring during the 2010

In the space of three short months Argentina’s Carlos Tevez has gone from fringe player to one of the stars of a side sweeping all before them in South Africa.

In his journey from the Buenos Aires neighbourhood of Fuerte Apache to English club Manchester City, Carlos Tevez has had to battle every inch of the way, frequently overcoming adversity to shine in one of the world’s top leagues. Those selfsame fighting qualities have also stood him in good stead on the international stage, and are helping him perform with distinction at South Africa 2010.

“It’s impossible to leave him out of the starting line-up boys,” said national coach Diego Maradona on the eve of the opening game with Nigeria, answering the media’s queries about Tevez’s inclusion. “What do you want me to do? He’s playing so well. He’s in electric form at the moment.” Four games later and El Apache has answered all the doubters, scoring twice against Mexico on Sunday evening to add further weight to Maradona’s argument.
I give absolutely everything for this jersey and I run my socks off on the pitch just to keep my place.
Argentina's Carlos Tevez

“I’m better prepared than ever for this tournament and fortunately the results are there for everyone to see,” he said after helping sink the Mexicans at Soccer City. “I’ve shown I’m not dead.”

Tevez’s two-goal salvo caps quite a turnaround in his fortunes and comes just three months after admitting his form was not good enough to warrant a place in the national side. The Manchester City forward sent his team into the lead against the Mexicans, heading home at the end of a move he had started with Lionel Messi, and then all but settling the game seven minutes into the second half with a spectacular strike from outside the area.

“I needed a game like that,” he said after being named the Budweiser Man of the Match. “Diego [Maradona] told me he wanted me to play more as a forward and to not drop deep like a midfielder, but tracking back is something that comes naturally to me.”

As well as his brace, Tevez also ran tirelessly for his side and linked up well with his team-mates before being substituted by Juan Sebastian Veron. It was a change he did not appear to enjoy making: “I shouldn’t have pulled a face when I came off but nobody likes being substituted when they’re playing well. That said, I’d like to make my apologies public now: my team-mates shouldn’t have to see me looking annoyed.”

Revenge on the menu?
Carlitos is one of the survivors from the team that was knocked out by the host nation at Germany 2006. Yet with Argentina through to a quarter-final rematch with the Germans, his main objective now is not to gain revenge on the three-time champions but to get more time on the pitch than he enjoyed four years ago.

“I give absolutely everything for this jersey and I run my socks off on the pitch just to keep my place,” added the man of the moment. “This is the best form I’ve ever been in for the national side and I hope to keep this going for a long time yet. It’s going to be a great game against the Germans but we shouldn’t be looking on it as a chance for revenge. We need to take it easy and learn from the mistakes we made in 2006.”

In cementing his position as the ideal partner for Lionel Messi in the Albiceleste attack, Tevez has also earned the admiration of his team-mates. “He can win you a game in a single move,” said central defender Nicolas Burdisso, while Mexico keeper Oscar Perez had cause to regret the Argentinian livewire’s hand in events in Johannesburg: “He finished the game off with a tremendous goal.”

All in all not a bad night’s work for the kid from the back streets of Buenos Aires.

Psychic Octopus predicts another Germany win, this time against Argentina. Damn! that squid, i'm gonna get him if his prediction comes true, there're so many ways I can make a meal out of him, deep fry, stir fry, barbecue!

Jas I will help you with the barbecue

Jas
Psychic Octopus predicts another Germany win, this time against Argentina. Damn! that squid, i'm gonna get him if his prediction comes true, there're so many ways I can make a meal out of him, deep fry, stir fry, barbecue!

Jas: true i feel like burning the guy now! im not letting the Germans get away this time Argentina Will Win!! All we need to do is proper the defense the attacking is world class but its still lack of defense please brother Diego do something about this!!

I Don't know why people say the ball in (south africa) is having a problem while maradona makes it so easy to handle LOL a whole blanch of excuses LOL ! this is how Maradona does it!

One Of The Best Legend Striker In My Country "James Wong" (Malaysia)

All I fear is the German counter attack and the shots from outside the area.Last match against Mexico they'd let them shoot too easily without pressing,that was because we played with only one defensive mid-fielder"Mascherano".This game we gotto have an extremely solid mid-field,and I think Bollatti might be very important tomorrow.And -of course- I hope Maradona starts with Burdisso-Samuel because we can't take any mistakes by Demichilis in this match.I don't know why I feel that the match is today,I know it's tomorrow,but may be I'm confused because in 2006 it was on Friday!!!

OMAR TRY NOT TO WORRY BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT DEMICHELIS IS IMPORTANT HE WOULD KNOW HALF THESE PLAYERS AFTER PLAYING IN THE GERMAN LEAGUE AND MOST LIKELY IT WILL BE HIM AND SAMUEL FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD THEY ARE PLAYING A 4-4-1-1 SYSTEM WHICH WAS SUCCESSFUL THE LAST TIME WE PLAYED THEM AND WE ALSO USED THIS SYSTEM AGAINST NIGERIA AND IT WAS ALSO SUCCESSFUL ONCE WE HAVE CONFIDENCE WHICH I KNOW WE HAVE WE WILL BEAT THE GERMANS TMR I KNOW WE WILL WE WILL DON'T WORRY :)

I'm not too worried about Ze Germans. The biggest reason they beat the Ingleses was due to Ashley Cole and Johnson over committing on the attack. Thus inviting Ze Germans to counter which they did with pace.

The reason I'm not worried by their counter play is that both Heinze and Otamendi do not Commit too much in attack and also the Germans does not like to play against a team that has great dribbling and close ball control like Argentina or Spain for that matter have.

I would say anybody who is worried after the England game is actually fooled. Their's match was so hyped and England snared thmselves than Germany giving them a football lesson. England were punished for over committing on the attack. I'm ready to bet no other team among the rest of 30 would have conceded those goals, particularly the first and fourth were just comical. That play from England was out of coaching manuel - how not to play.

We'll overcome Germania!

On a side note I honestly don't know what Verón has been doing and what is his job in this team, all i see he kicks the ball right back to where it comes from as if he is just a wall and the ball bounces off of him.

He was able to control the tempo at times but overall he worried me the most, i won't start him. Time to start Pastore instead + would like to see Bolatti in for Di María for the start. Mascherano will need support of Bolatti in this one as far as i'm concerned + Di María hasn't been at his peak right through this tourney.

Time to dine!

VAMOVAMOOOOS ARGENTINAAAA,
VAMOVAMOOOOS A GANAAAAR!
QUE ESTAA BAAAARA QUILOMBERAAAA,
NO TE DEJA, NO TE DEJA DE ALENTAAAAR!

Saludos hermanos y hermanas,
Juan.

Juan

I agree I just hope we remain very discipline and keep it tight in the middle. I think we are on for a craker!

Forza Albiceleste
Argentine Gloryyyyyyyyyyyy 2010

I'd like to meet Maradona, Messi, the whole forum and Bati (obviously) to have a German octopus for dinner...

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!

1 2 3 4 5