Let's Talk Bati......

A forum for all 'english-speaking' fans of Gabriel Omar Batistuta, which EVER team he's involved with!
Thanks to ALL fans for any 'Bati-news' and news about Argentina!

To make it easier to reply to posts, please don't start a new thread if there is already an existing thread related to your topic. Let's try to keep all the same news 'together'. Thanks!

Hosted by Katy...(assisted by Daryl, Linda, Mariela, Franca, Juan and Brigie)

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
Re: Look!!!

THANK YOU JIMENA he looks so Happy wow I wonder if he'll be there for all Argie games .Thanks Jas/Inez for the pics I have been searching to see if turn up with something about him but thank you so much so good to see him my joy has been restored

Katy: Thanks for putting the squad list (picture) on this thread katy i was happy to see it

Re: Noticed Verón?

Juan: u forgot to put in another pic year 2006 (Argentinian Squad)when they were playing in Germany hopefully u could insert that one in *thanks Juan

That's very sweet of him, I'm happy to see him there, thanks Jimena

I'm deligheted to see our Bati there, but do any of you know if he has any official reason to be there?

There's a report of his visit here but I don't know what it says.

THANK YOU FOR WATCHING MY VIDEO, GUYS!!!

Linda, I know Bati's gone to South Africa because he's working as a commentator for DirecTV Argentina... Sadly, I have not DirecTV at my home, so I cannot watch him...

Jas, Bati met Maradona while Argentinian players were training in Pretoria... I think they have remembered old times...

Thanks for the info. I guess he'll probably stay there a while then. That's fun.

Jas
There's a report of his visit here but I don't know what it says.

Let's hope someone can translate.

Thanks for all the info and videos guys!

Less than 24 hours to go til Argentina's 2nd match.
Veron's not playing... here's a preview from Sky.

Argentina v South Korea preview
Two teams in strong position in Group B

Last updated: 16th June 2010

Argentina and South Korea lock horns in Group B, with both sides coming into the game on the back of wins.

The Argentinians defeated Nigeria 1-0 thanks to a header from Gabriel Heinze, while Korea saw off the challenge of Greece, goals from Lee Jung-soo and Park Ji-sung sealing a 2-0 triumph.

Both teams are in a strong position to qualify from the pool, and whoever comes out on top in Johannesburg on Thursday is likely to top the group.

Much has been made of Diego Maradona's coaching style but the Argentina legend seems to have created a strong bond within his set of players.

And the controversial boss appears to have finally got the best out of Barcelona man Lionel Messi.

Messi has in the past been criticised for not taking his domestic form onto the international stage, but he was electric against Nigeria and was unlucky not to end up on the scoresheet.

However, South Korea proved against Greece that they are no pushovers and their slick passing style combined with a good work ethic makes them difficult opponents.

Team news
Argentina will be without midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron, who sat out training on Tuesday.

The former Manchester United and Chelsea man strained his right calf against Nigeria and Maradona will rest him - Maxi Rodriguez is the likely man to fill the breach, as he replaced him in the opening game.

Maradona may also decide to shore up his defence against the Koreans, having played more offensively against Nigeria.

Roma's Nicolas Burdisso could come in while Jonas Gutierrez may keep his place in the side.

South Korea manager Huh Jung-Moo, who played against Maradona in the 1986 World Cup, could welcome striker Lee Dong-guk back following his recovery from a thigh injury.

If Dong-guk does return, Korea could go with a more conservative 4-5-1 formation with Park Chu-yong pushing out wide.

Jung Song-ryong is likely to remain in goal after Huh's surprising decision to axe Lee Woon-jae against Greece.

Song-ryong had a solid performance in the opening game but was rarely tested and could have a busy afternoon ahead of him.
skysports.com

Batistuta visited Maradona and the Argentina team training session in Pretoria, see photos, there's a report here that says he was robbed!

Awww.....

Bati talks about being robbed, some of his personal items were stolen from his hotel room.

Jas

Bati talks about being robbed, some of his personal items were stolen from his hotel room.

Sad, very sad... Why are there bad people???

Poor Bati Seeing Maradona and him make me cry

...But Bati is alright, that's the most important...

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!

YOu're so right Jimena I don't know what I'll do if something happened to him

VAMOS ARGENTINA

P.S. was watching an interview with Maradona an hour ago and they asked him based on how Spain performed if he thought Argentina will win it and he said we are a fighting team and basically they are taking it one game at a time in a nutshell he was humble loving the humility .Bring on the Korea game going to get some shut eye before the game starts still getting butterflies in my stomach help .

Match Coming Up (Today)

Photobucket

Re: Match Coming Up (Today)

Fantastic result for Argentina. I've had a crazy day at work, but I managed to catch the last two goals, and it has made my day!

Re: Match Coming Up (Today)

Yes,a fantastic result .But a very silly-but expected- mistake by Demichilis,he almost did another one in the second half.I think Samuel-Burdisso would be much more stable.And I'm also worried about Jonas,we may face France in the round of 16,they are very good when it comes to the knock-out matches and they have Ribery who may make so many problems to Jonas.
Messi is still very unlucky,but he will surely score against Greece.

4-1 ... perfect. Gracias!

We're the first to reach pre quarter finals, ain't us? ... AGUANTE LA SELECCION Y EL FUTBOL ARGENTINO!! We were perfect this morning. Even that's under statement. Honestly wanted to open a new thread with title, "i told you" but then am an adult. Refrained and for any takers
please take my greetings, we're in last 16 and with comfort + first to do so in 2010. Two games and we've warned the mundial already .... we're contenders, fear us, we're gonna punish you all now for once and all.

Three complains though :

1 - Too early kickup. Quilmes is no no breakfast yet it was served and for the first time in my whole life i've an early hangover. 6 litres of lager (and counting for the evening) i just not think posting match reports is fun (at least here, don't get me wrong BUT this foro does not want the logical reported views anyway, i did at a place where i had to though). I would prefer 'special' Vodka for the evening though. (lol)

2 - Jabulani. Ask players, not only us but the 32 nations can never know what to expect. Not something we can call a passing material neither we can call it a shot stuff but the most tragic is either it bends or it never do.

3 - Vuvuzelas. Aweful to hear as a spectator let alone the difficulty the players going through.

* PD - Note the last two problems are more for the players as not much as for the followers on tele screens at least.

Vamos, vamos Argentina,
vamos, vamos a ganar,
que esta barra quilombera,
no te deja, no te deja de alentar

More laters.

Saludos,
Juan.

Brigie
YOu're so right Jimena I don't know what I'll do if something happened to him

Brigie, I frightened when I knew Bati was robbed, but I felt more quiet when I saw him alright... That's I meant to say...

Aww Jimena yups the important thing is that he's ok thanks for the reassuring video.

I think the sun was in Demichelis's eyes but they have shown the world they are menacing we're taking it one game at a time bring on Greece

On a next side note they really played as a team I am so proud of them and I also liked how Maradona hugged each one after the matches no other coach does that . All of them are a joy to watch .Congratulations Gonzalo you now join Bati in the hattrick department

VIVA ARGENTINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: 4-1 ... perfect. Gracias!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! GREAT result! I've been celebrating too!

Didn't quite manage 6 litres of lager, but not far off!

Hope all the hangovers are OK tomorrow!
Until then......

Re: 4-1 ... perfect. Gracias!

VIVA ARGENTINA!!! VIVA MY SELECCIÓN!!! I am still celebrating this new step... Greece, your time has come!!!

Higuain shines as France slump

Photobucket

Gonzalo Higuain stole the headlines on Day 7 in South Africa by scoring the first FIFA World Cup™ hat-trick since 2002 as Argentina's multi-talented attack dazzled against Korea Republic. Diego Maradona's Albiceleste had to share the limelight, though, with Mexico, winners against 2006 runners-up France, and a Greece side who scored their first FIFA World Cup goals in defeating Nigeria.

Argentina striking icon Gabriel Batistuta was in Johannesburg to see Higuain join him in the record books with his treble for the South Americans at Soccer City. The Real Madrid forward became only the third man – after Guillermo Stabile and 'Batigol' himself – to hit three on the world stage for La Albiceleste. With Carlos Tevez buzzing about dangerously and Lionel Messi weaving his magic, Higuain can leave the fancy stuff to others and just get on with his job of poaching goals.

Ater Argentina had received the gift of a Park Chu-Young own goal, Higuain did just that with three close-range strikes, two with his head, the other a tap-in after Messi's shot rebounded to him off a post. Argentina have all but qualified from Group B after this second victory and the only good news for their future opponents is that the South Koreans found a hole or two in their defence – Martin Demechelis's slip allowed Lee Chung-Yong a goal and the Asians would have drawn level at 2-2 had Yeom Ki-Hun not sent a golden opportunity into the side-netting.

The question of which France we would see in South Africa – the team which reached the Final four years ago or that which flopped at UEFA EURO 2008 – appears to have been answered after Raymond Domenech's side slumped to a first-ever loss to Mexico in Polokwane. Javier Aguirre's enterprising outfit joined Uruguay on four points at the Group A summit thanks to second-half strikes from substitutes Javier Hernandez, who sprang the France offside trap to tuck away the first, and Cuauhtemoc Blanco, a late penalty. Blanco's lengthy run-up belied his age – at 37 years and 151 days, he became the third oldest scorer in FIFA World Cup history. It will now take a small miracle for a still goalless France side to revive their campaign in their final group fixture against South Africa.

Finally, after South Africa's loss yesterday, another African side saw their hopes dented after Nigeria stumbled to defeat against a Greece side finally able to celebrate a first finals win at the fifth attempt. It was a result that left the Super Eagles bottom of Group B while lifting Otto Rehhagel's Greeks level with Korea Republic on three points. Nigeria had gone ahead at the Free State Stadium through a Kalu Uche free-kick, but the match turned when Sani Keita had a rush of blood to the head and kicked out at Vasileios Torosidis, leaving his side a man short. Greece took full advantage, equalising on the stroke of the interval through Dimitrios Salpingidis.

That his shot took a big deflection off Lukman Haruna in no way diminished the celebrations – after all, it was his country’s first FIFA World Cup goal. Greece's winner was cruel on goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, who, as against Argentina, made some spectacular stops only to spill Alexandros Tziolis's drive, allowing Torosidis to score. If the 2004 European champions can sleep more easily tonight, the same cannot be said of Nigeria's Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi, who missed an open goal at 1-1.

Results
Argentina 4-1 Korea Republic
Greece 2-1 Nigeria
France 0-2 Mexico

Goal of the day
Argentina 4-1 Korea Republic, Gonzalo Higuain, 80 mins: Messi dinked a lovely ball over the South Korean back line to Sergio Aguero, who floated a first-time cross with the outside of his right foot for Higuain to nod his third goal past Jung Sung-Ryong – the competition’s first hat-trick since Pauleta’s for Portugal eight years ago.

One to remember
Mexico forward Hernandez is not the first member of his family to score against France in the FIFA World Cup – he followed in the footsteps of his grandfather Tomas Balcazar, who struck Mexico's second goal in a 3-2 first-round loss to Les Bleus at the 1954 finals in Switzerland. Revenge at last for Grandad...

Quote of the day
"I prefer women. I am dating Veronica, she is 31 years old, she is blonde, she is beautiful," Maradona responds to a question in the post-match press conference about his habit of embracing his Argentina players.

Stat of the day
404 – The number of minutes it took Greece to score their first FIFA World Cup finals goal.

Voice of the fans
"Mexico looked too fast and aggressive for France... beautiful win!!!"

Comments from the fans : unijorn (USA)
i'm not gonna say that france got destroyed, because they played very well, but they just couldn't handle chicharo and el cuau when they jumped in at the 2nd half. viva mexico!

Win'the'cup (USA)
I love watching Argentina with Messi play

thethithua12 (USA)
Dude, if u know soccer well think about this. In Barca, Messi have Xavi and Iniesta to lead him into goals. At Argentina, who will lead him? Without Riquelme, Messi have to be at a Playmaker position to lead his team to scores. Thats how Higuian can have more opportunities. I like to watch Argentina because they play as a team, a win prove it all.

Photobucket

WoooooooooooooooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGENTINA ITS A MUST FOR THEM TO WIN FOR THIS WORLD CUP
I SAY MUST!! LOL

Re: Higuain shines as France slump

Video of match highlights, report says Bati was there to see Higuain scored his hat-trick.

source: MySoccerPlace.net

other site: Youtube | Fifa

News roundup, stats and photos

Re: Higuain shines as France slump

WHERE IS EVERYONE? COME ON ARGIE 4 GREECE -0 COME ON TMR WILL BE EXACTLY 16 YEARS AND ONE DAY AGO BATI SCORED HIS HATTRICK AGAINST GREECE AND MARADONA SCORED ONE COME ON GUYS ARGENTINA ARGENTINA HIGUAIN FOR ANOTHER HATTRICK :) I'M SO NERVOUS GOING TO SAY TWO DECADES OF THE ROSARY TONIGHT SO SCARED

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!

I'm so nervous like you, Brigie... I also remember Bati's hattrick to Greece, in 1994-I was eight years old...
I hope my Selección wins again, I wish the World Cup comes back soon to my country...

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!

Maradona: Brazil still favourites

Photobucket

Argentina coach Diego Maradona was keen to play down the growing expectations surrounding his in-form side, insisting Brazil are still his favourites to walk off with the FIFA World Cup™.

Despite boasting a glittering array of attacking talent, there were question marks hanging over Argentina heading into the tournament following a rocky qualifying campaign. However, Maradona's side have undoubtedly been one of the most impressive sides in South Africa so far after picking up back-to-back wins over Nigeria (1-0) and Korea Republic (4-1).

That has left Argentina three points clear at the top of Group B heading into this evening's clash with Greece in Polokwane, when just a point will be enough to guarantee them a spot in the last 16. With many of the other supposed top sides struggling so far, Argentina's chances of lifting the FIFA World Cup for a third time appear to be rising, but Maradona insists he does not want his to be saddled with the favourites' tag.

"We aren't either candidates or favourites, we're here to play a World Cup," he said. "I don't want to be favourites, not before coming to South Africa and not now. All the teams here can score against you, so you have to be wary all the time. We just want to be the same as normal. We're here to keep our fans happy, to play the way we want to play, and I think things so far are going well. Brazil can play badly but still win games, that's why they are still the great favourites."

Although his side are not yet assured of a place in the knockout stages, Maradona looks set to ring the changes for tonight's game. Jonas Gutierrez is suspended while captain Javier Mascherano and Gabriel Heinze could both be among those rested as they are one booking away from a ban. Meanwhile, veteran playmaker Juan Sebastian Veron could return after missing the game against South Korea with a calf problem.

One player Maradona has assured will feature though is star playmaker Lionel Messi. The coach added: "He will play. If you have a player as good as Leo, who is the best player in the world, I think it would be a sin not to give Messi to the people, to the team, and leave out the player who can certainly make the difference in a match."

Greece have a chance to create another piece of footballing history for their country as, if they better Korea Republic's result against point-less Nigeria, they will progress to the knockout stage. The surprise 2004 UEFA European champions won their first FIFA World Cup match at only their second tournament when they came from behind to beat Nigeria last week.

However, coach Otto Rehhagel said the squad was fully focused on tackling Argentina and not on what the future may hold. "First of all we will think about the match ahead of us. We will not talk about anything else," said the veteran German boss. That is all we are interested in - I am not interested in anything else. We want to be physically and psychologically ready to go into this battle. But the players realise they have it all to play for and nothing to lose."

Re: Maradona: Brazil still favourites

Thanks Fadzil I loove how Maradona is humble and he is a great motivator Argentina he supports each player no favouritism and Jimena Lol I did not really pay attention to the world cup until 1998 but I remember my dad watching that match I was about the same age as well

Look at the start of the match how he hugs his players amazing

1 2 3 4 5