SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: QUESTION!!

Supply and demand true. And the supply of common dogs is always high.On the other hand the supply of above average hounds will in my opinion never be filled at any price.You can expose a pup to every opportunity to be successful and most never reach average.And if a breeder has something special it has above average value. I agree with the post to raise pups from as good a dam as you can get your hands on is the best way.

I get what you guys are saying, but Ive seen grand champion dogs produce pups and the pups come out doing absolutely NOTHING. ive seen people get dogs free and do better than the grand champion pups. I dont get how people can put so high prices on hounds because of the parents of the dog. I dont have a problem with buying the hounds im just saying why sale pups so high because of the sire and dam. You can spend that much money on a hound then next thing you know that hound get hit and die. So thats money down the drain. ONLY REAL TRUE MEN WILL tell you about how good the dog is. Guys will tell you anything to make a quick buck..

R.D.K., you are right about quality ratios with champion sires.Many females are crossed to the famous studs and many pups are produced. Most at a fair price on the dog market.But quantity has it's limits.One will be quality. But the high price pups you are wanting that are off top females are in demand.Word of mouth travels far and fast when hope of a top cross is made. And there is certainly no guarantee these pups will work out. Just hope. Something else I have seen are hounds you can not buy. After all , we are all after that nice hound. Get the best female you can and breed her to what you have been impressed with and go from there.It ain't easy. Just one man's opinion.

You have to do your homework and look for crosses that are getting it done. If you have a dog that has the traits you like, look to improve your breeding program by adding speed, Hunt,and or toughness, I would pay $300 for a puppy off a prov en cross to improve my program. Can a no paper dog win a hunt yes but other hunters wouldn't breed to him without knowing the bloodline. I have breed and raised Champions and bought puppies and made a Champion those blood lines are still in my kennel and I'm running them now. Buy what suits you.

I understand you guys. I mean I was just asking a question about it. I wanted to know everyones opinion about it

I use to raise eight litters a year but have cut back in the last six years or so. I may be a little behind the curve.

It probably cost 160 to 190 dollars to get a puppy to breaking age. For me that was eight months. (but I only three day hunted and did not care about puppy hunts or one day hunts.)

I am sure depending on the size of the litter and whether a stud fee and 3.75 dollar a gallon gas is involved it could add much more to the COST of pups to started age. And premium dog food was 17.25 a 50lb bag in 2007 and now that bag is 30.50 the last time I checked. (Boy that still blanks me off every time I think about it.)

Second like you said is the bloodline ( Is it a hot mom or dad everybody is burning up to have a puppy from)

And lastly is You May Buy The Best From The Litter Not Yet Started. Once he or she is started and they are the not so hot pups you get into what can I get for him as a deer hound or just a dog price. ( so people have charged a premium to find out which pup had the magic.)

Does not matter the price. If that man can sell for that price why go lower? Yes, you can get lucky and have a good dog here and there without great breeding but you will not be consistant. If you stay in the dog business and want to be the best [I dont know anyone who does NOT want to be the best]...you better be consistant...year after year after year. If folks are getting top dollar for unstarted pups they are obviously consistant with their game or they would NOT sell many dogs.

Good hunting!

John Foster

Yall are looking at it all wrong. How much does it take to start a puppy? If hes worth half what his breeding is (assuming you like the breeding because you bought the pup) he'll start in one week. Thats the easy part. I'll gladly pay you $200-$350 for a solid built gyp out of a bloodline that im interested in that is at starting age. To heck with feeding a darn puppy for 8 months taking up space, eating twice as much as a grown dog and crapping twice as much as a grown dog. I mean, i still do it, i breed and raise em, but it sure is nice every once in a while to have some come along that all i have to do is start them! Thats easy! You'll get more for your money buying unstarted dogs than running dogs because a man aint gonna sell the best started puppy and keep the sorry one. That pair of pups you buy might be the next big thing, assuming their breeder is as good at the game as you are.

No matter what you have to do your homework and feel good about what you decide to do. You can expect to pay 100-150 maybe 200 for a 8 week pup so why wouldn't you expect to pay more for one that has reached starting age. You can see the confirmation like feet, ears, bite and tail. Its past the age where many things can go wrong and they have their vaccines. Problem is I have a hard time finding the good ones at that age and to be honest if I raise 7 and I want to get rid of something I will be culling. Not to say they are bad culls but I'm not selling the best looking ones a month before I start them. In my opinion that would be stupid on my part unless I am doing it for the money>

Bottom line is IF i paid that kind of money it would have to be on a proven cross where the odds are in my favor. I would not base it on just on a stud dog or a brood because they do not always produce. Many say that the ***** means as much or more than the stud so why go breed your soso female to a top stud. Why wouldn't you consider paying more for a proven cross? Its all about improving the breed.

Its your call but if you buy from a proven cross you will spend less than than raising 7 pups of your own. In the end you are looking for that one good dog so go with the odds.