Let's Talk Bati......

A forum for all 'english-speaking' fans of Gabriel Omar Batistuta, which EVER team he's involved with!
Thanks to ALL fans for any 'Bati-news' and news about Argentina!

To make it easier to reply to posts, please don't start a new thread if there is already an existing thread related to your topic. Let's try to keep all the same news 'together'. Thanks!

Hosted by Katy...(assisted by Daryl, Linda, Mariela, Franca, Juan and Brigie)

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: World Cup 2014

So nice to see you Daryl. I'm well. Hope you are too.

I cannot believe Germany-Brazil tonight. Talk about a walk over.

Linda

I agree odd game, even felt a bit sorry for the fans..

I Hope we do well tomm.

Greetings Rene

Forza Albiceleste !!!!!

Damn, why should Brazil score a late goal - a perfect night ruined at the very end

Hi Daryl, good to see you again!

Less than an hour to go and I'm REALLY nervous! Especially after watching Brazil getting trashed by Germany last night.

I've never forgiven Holland for WC 98, so it's PAY BACK time as far as I'm concerned!

Found this...

Argentina face a familiar foe in Netherlands for World Cup final spot
Roy Nemer Wednesday 9 Jul 2014 10:45 am

Argentina are back in the semi-finals of a World Cup, this time against a familiar opponent.

July 3, 1990 was the last time Argentina took part in a semi-final of a World Cup, where they defeated hosts Italy. Twenty-four years later, the country finds itself back in this stage of the competition, lead by another magical 10, when they play the Netherlands.

This will be the fifth meeting between these two countries at a World Cup and save for the last one; every match has produced magic. They first played each other in 1974 where the Netherlands thrashed the Albiceleste 4-0.

Their second match came four years later at the final of the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, where the home team triumphed to their first world title. The third time came in 1998 when Denis Bergkamp scored one of the best goals you will see at any World Cup to send the Netherlands through to the next round.

The last meeting came in 2006, where they were drawn in the same group and having already both made the next round, played to a 0-0 draw.

This time, however, a place in the World Cup final is at stake and Argentina’s undefeated when it comes to semi-finals of a World Cup.

Alejandro Sabella is rumored to have his team set up in a 4-4-3 formation with Enzo Perez (who was voted the player of the year in Portugal) starting in place of Angel di Maria, who is out injured. Lucas Biglia is set to keep his spot in midfield alongside Javier Mascherano.

In the back line, Marcos Rojo, who was suspended for Argentina’s last match will start. Martin Demichelis, who was defensively solid against Belgium, is rumored to start again with Ezequiel Garay and Manchester City’s Pablo Zabaleta.

Up front, Argentina will line up the same way they did in their previous two matches, that is to say with Lionel Messi along with Gonzalo Higuain and Ezequiel Lavezzi.

Argentina got through the mental block of making it past the quarter-finals and unlike for a few players of the Netherlands who made it to the final of 2010, this is uncharted territory for Sabella’s team.

For the South American’s, this has been Lionel Messi’s World Cup. He’s been in the heart of it all and behind every attack for his team. As the tournament has progressed, Messi has gotten more and more help from his team-mates, which can only be seen as something positive.

A win for Argentina will see them through to their first final since 1990. But before thinking of a final, they will need a team effort just like the one against Belgium. A victory against the team who eliminated them in 1998 and they will find themselves playing for the World Cup on Sunday.

Here we goooooo..... FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!

At last!

WooooooooHoooooo!!!!

I,m pinching my arm. Still a bit shaken. After 16 years of Argentina fandom we,re there. Final.

I,ll be a wreck on Sunday, but if we can lift that throphy....my God.

So happy to celebrate this with you all.

Yeeeeeeaaaaaah .... At last

This is just great. We are in the final.

Hope the haunts that I have been getting world cup after world cup since 1994
will be over this time

-1994: Maradona failed drug test & the team collapsed
-1998: for some reason Redondo and Cannigia were left out and Argentina failed in the crucial moment.
-2002: We were the best in the world but then we saw the worst nightmare ever
-2006: Argentina performed much better than Germany in quarter final but could not get through penalty shootout.
-2010: Zanetti, Cambiasso and Riquelme were left out and Messi didn't have enough support to shine.

Argentina had capabilities to reach at least Semi Final in each of those tournaments & also capabilities to win in 2002.

But this time Argentina deserves the Cup & hope we will.

Well, I've just about calmed down now, still feeling SO elated though!

Let's just enjoy this while we can, because Sunday's match will be very difficult I'm sure! I think we will start this match as the 'underdogs'!

A salute to our heroes....

A few more pics courtesy of the Daily Mail...

Karun
This is just great. We are in the final.

-2010: Zanetti, Cambiasso and Riquelme were left out and Messi didn't have enough support to shine.

We did have any coach doing that World cup, therefore we lost big time as soo as we faced a strong oponent (Germany).

But agree 2002 was a World cup winning team. 1998 and 2006 was strong teams who, if things turned out well, could have won the would cup just as well as France and Italy.

Great pics Katy. Thanks.

Karun, the 2002 team should have gone much further, maybe even won. I think this WC is the most bitter for me. That last game against the Swedes still haunt me.

OK... just one day to go. I'm reeeeally nervous but very excited too.
It's the fact that Germany were responsible for Argentina's exit from the last 2 World Cups... BUT, as we always say in England... 3rd time lucky!
Let's hope so.

Here's what Zabaleta thinks... reading this has helped calm my nerves a bit!

World Cup final: Argentina won’t buckle like Brazil, says Pablo Zabaleta

• Full-back says side is too strong to suffer same fate as hosts
• Confidence untouched as team prepares to face Germany

Argentina's Pablo Zabaleta says his side have been inspired by the swelling support from their travelling hordes in Brazil.

Argentina will learn the lessons of Brazil’s World Cup humiliation and maintain the steely focus that has taken them to the brink of a historic victory in their neighbour’s backyard, according to Pablo Zabaleta.
As Alejandro Sabella’s agent revealed to an Argentinian radio station that he planned to step down after the World Cup final, Zabaleta vowed to ensure their coach went out on a high against Germany .

The Manchester City full-back echoed the surprise of the rest of the footballing world at Brazil’s “strange” capitulation in Belo Horizonte but said his robust and resolute Argentina side would not make the same mistake if they lost an early goal.

“Even if you concede some goals before 15 minutes or 20 minutes you need to keep calm and keep playing in the same way as we have been doing for these six games,” said Zabaleta, whose tears of relief and battered, bruised face after their semi-final victory over Holland seemed to sum up their scrappy, resolute run to the final.

“A football game is just about 90 minutes. If you concede some goals and you try to score as soon as possible, you concede space at the back and you are finished. It was a lesson for us, the Brazil game.”

As tens of thousands of Argentinians were expected to flood into Rio, many setting up camp in the city’s iconic Sambadrome, the Manchester City full-back said that Sabella’s side would take inspiration from the massive patriotic support.

“You can see how the Argentina fans are excited, singing for 90 minutes. It’s special for us to play in this country,” said Zabaleta of the hordes of rowdy supporters that have followed them around Brazil.

Most of the neutrals in the Maracanã on Sunday will be backing Germany but Zabaleta said they had also drawn inspiration in adversity.
“Especially because Brazilian fans have been against Argentina for this World Cup. Sometimes, if you have all the people against you, you feel even stronger. I think we showed that and we feel very proud,” he said.

Describing how they had been “very compact”, “very tight” and successful in “closing down the space” to deny Arjen Robben and Robin van Persie, Zabaleta gave an insight into how they would approach Germany’s rampant, fluid attack. He inevitably pinpointed Lionel Messi as the key player if they are to overcome a German side who thrashed the hosts 7-1 in a result labelled “almost a national tragedy” by Rio’s mayor, Eduardo Paes, on Friday.
“He is our main player, he is the captain of this team, he is the leader of this group of players,” he said. “We can imagine how special it would be for Messi to lift the cup. We need to keep our feet on the ground at the moment.” But if Argentina need the Messi who dragged his side through the group stages rather than the anonymous figure who strolled through their victory on penalties over Holland, then Zabaleta also pinpointed Javier Mascherano as a key inspiration.

Playing as a holding midfielder, the Barcelona player was his side’s heartbeat against Belgium and Holland, majestic in his timing and positioning as he helped stiffen a hitherto shaky Argentinian rearguard.
“You always need a player with his commitment, his leadership. He’s always thinking about the group,” said Zabaleta. “If he sees someone who is tired he is there to help you. I have no words to describe how good Mascherano has been for this team in this World Cup.”

Before the Belgium quarter-final Mascherano delivered a rousing dressing-room speech to the players and against Holland his pivotal last-ditch tackle on Robben in the final minutes of normal time was key.
Zabaleta described Mascherano as the team’s “leader” on the field. “He is not just a player, he is like a manager on the field. He is always talking about other players, positions, tactics,” he said. “I am very proud for him. He’s been in another two World Cups and been out in the quarter-finals but now he has a chance to win it.”

Zabaleta said they would give everything to deliver a victory that those pouring over the border in their thousands and millions more at home would never forget. “You can imagine people from Argentina selling their cars to be here, even without tickets. This is something that happens in Argentina. We love football,” he said.

“We know how special it would be for this country to win another World Cup. But obviously we appreciate how Argentinian fans are doing everything to support the team. As a player I feel very proud, everyone feels very proud. Hopefully we can give them another trophy.”
The Guardian

Thanks Katy. Still very nervous, but it helped. Fingers crossed. Only a few hours to go.

Not long now! I've got EVERYTHING crossed, Linda!!!

This is how Copacabana ought to look like every day, I was there in marts this year, it looked different back then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElqbsQLQatw

Uhhhhh, I hardly can't wait no mere

Volveremos a ser campion come en 86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxwNs9WLWE

Let,s hope they get something to celebrate Rene

Sooooo close, but still out of reach.

We were so close to winning the cup !
Argentina did very well but can't help being sad.

Anyway, this is one of the best world cup in many years.

Argentina forever.

Can't talk now.

That was a hard defeat.

However, I am proud of the guys. They played a good game and didn't take the three chances we had. That's football, much like life, if you don't take the opportunities before you...you may regret them.

Germany are worthy champions and I know the game could have gone either way.

Always a proud argentine.

Time to rest, reflect and rebuild...

Forza Albiceleste...Always in my heart..

Daryl

Well put Daryl. Argentina played a good game and Germany happened to win this one.
It,s painful to be almost successful, but Argentina did really well. Germany was good this year. I,m glad it was a close final.

Bollix

Well it's been over a week now, and it still hurts!

I think it's mainly because that's the 3rd time on the run that Germany have knocked them out of the WC. Germany are becoming a bogey team!

Ahhhh well, it was a really GREAT World Cup, (up until the end) and I agree with all the other sentiments above. Thanks to all of you for being here!

Only 4 more years til the next one.

Bye all!