Let's Talk Bati......

A forum for all 'english-speaking' fans of Gabriel Omar Batistuta, which EVER team he's involved with!
Thanks to ALL fans for any 'Bati-news' and news about Argentina!

To make it easier to reply to posts, please don't start a new thread if there is already an existing thread related to your topic. Let's try to keep all the same news 'together'. Thanks!

Hosted by Katy...(assisted by Daryl, Linda, Mariela, Franca, Juan and Brigie)

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
World Cup 2014

Alejandro Sabella has announced the 30 men preliminary squad for 2014 FIFA World Cup:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero, Mariano Andujar, Agustin Orion.

Defenders: Ezequiel Garay, Federico Fernández, Pablo Zabaleta, Marcos Rojo, José María Basanta, Hugo Campagaro, Nicolas Otamendi, Martin Demichelis, Gabriel Mercado, Lisandro López.

Midfielders: Fernando Gago, Lucas Biglia, Javier Mascherano, Ever Banega, Angel Di Maria, Maximiliano Rodriguez, Ricardo Alvarez, Augusto Fernandez, Enzo Perez, Jose Sosa and Fabián Rinaudo.

Forwards: Sergio Aguero, Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Rodrigo Palacio, Franco Di Santo.

Re: World Cup 2014

Really Wonder why we don't have Tevez in here ?
Does anyone know the reason ?

In 2006 and 2010 Batistuta visited Argentina training camp.
I believe he will do the same this time also.
Waiting to see that part of news & photoes.

I'm not a big fan of Tevez anyway, but I wonder why Pastore isn't there !

Agree with you regarding Pastore as well.
He is a player that can make a difference for Argentina especially from midfield

Messi always needs a playmaker behind him. Someone like Riquelme, or Veron, or Iniesta in Barca

Less than 10 hours to go before the 1st match!!

I'm mad busy at the moment, I'm in the middle of decorating. My aim was to get it all finished before the World Cup started, but as usual it's taking much longer than I thought.

Anyway, back to tonight's match. I'm a bit out of touch with pre-tournament form, so it's going to be exciting for me to see how the team gel in this World Cup. It's on quite late here, but there is NO way I'm going to miss it!

Here is a preview from BBC Sport... (It's been a very long time since I've posted any match previews... I'm getting nostalgic again! )

Argentina v Bos-Herce

TEAM NEWS
Argentina striker Gonzalo Higuain has been nursing an ankle problem but is likely to play alongside Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero in a 4-3-3 system.
Fellow forward Rodrigo Palacio hurt his ankle in a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago and is set to miss out.
Bosnia and Hercegovina boss Safet Susic may drop striker Vedad Ibisevic in order to bolster his midfield.
Susic hopes utility player Sejad Salihovic will be fit despite a minor injury.

MATCH PREVIEW
In a tournament already raining goals, don't expect this match to buck the trend. Both Argentina and Bosnia-Hercegovina scored at least 30 times in qualifying and are led by coaches for whom attack is the best form of defence.
The five strikers selected by Argentine coach Alejandro Sabella hit 124 club goals this season. Sabella will 'only' start with three of them, but they are ably supported by winger Angel Di Maria, who is shoehorned into the side as midfield playmaker.
The Fantastic Four give Argentina fearsome firepower, although Sabella admits selecting the quartet sometimes leave the side imbalanced.

Balance is also a concern for opposite number Safet Susic. The 59-year-old, who was part of the Yugoslavia side eliminated by Argentina at the 1990 World Cup, opted for cavalier tactics in qualifying.
However, his team were soundly beaten 2-0 by Argentina in a friendly last November - when the South Americans also missed a hatful of chances.
That display means Susic is likely to go 4-2-3-1, a formation they trialled successfully in recent warm-up wins against Ivory Coast and Mexico.
Manchester City's Edin Dzeko certainly has the qualities to play as a lone striker, and boasts a formidable international record, with 35 goals in 62 caps.

The Bosnians are the only debutants in Brazil, and will hope to become the first side to win their maiden World Cup match since Senegal shocked France in 2002.
They may also take inspiration from Cameroon's famous victory against Argentina in 1990.
That is the last time La Albiceleste lost their opening game, although on that occasion they recovered to reach the semi-finals - something they have not done since.

With the likes of Neymar, Robin van Persie and Alexis Sanchez already off the mark in Brazil, all eyes will be on whether Lionel Messi can add to his solitary World Cup goal, scored in 2006.
He has looked a different figure since being handed the captaincy by Sabella. If he is to stamp his mark on this tournament there is no better place to start than the Maracana.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
• The Bosnians have lost their two previous matches against Argentina, both friendlies, without scoring.
• A Gabriel Batistuta hat-trick helped the Argentines win 5-0 in Cordoba in 1998 - a result which remains Bosnia's heaviest defeat in international football.
• The other meeting was in November last year when Sergio Aguero netted both goals in the US city of St Louis.

Argentina
• Argentina have only won two of their last nine World Cup games against European sides (D4, L3 - with penalty shoot-outs counted as draws).
• However, they have won won nine of their last 12 group games (D2, L1) at the tournament, scoring 24 goals and conceding just four times. Their only defeat in that sequence was against England in 2002.
• Lionel Messi has only scored one goal in 571 minutes of World Cup football - against Serbia and Montenegro in 2006. He has found the net with one of 31 shots.
• Argentina scored 35 times in World Cup qualifying - only Germany (36) managed more goals.

Bosnia-Hercegovina
• They are the only debutants at the 2014 World Cup. The last debutants to win their first World Cup match was Senegal against France in 2002.
• The Bosnians scored eight headed goals in qualifying - no European side managed more. Those headed goals were shared between Edin Dzeko and Vedad Ibisevic (four each).
• Dzeko scored 10 times overall in qualifying, while Ibisevic hit eight goals. Robin van Persie (11) was the only European striker with a better record.
• Zvjezdan Misimovic created more chances in qualifying (30) than any other Bosnian, including four assists.
BBC Sport

Anyone got an up to date line up?

Gooooooaaaaalllll!!!! MESSI! 2-0

Just ended... 2-1
Difficult match to watch, but heyyyy a WIN is a WIN! 3 points is a great start!

I'm going to bed now, hope some of you will be back tomorrow!
Night night!

It was a tough match.
Really Messi did almost everything.

Bosnia had more scoring opportunities and controlled the game well.

Aguero and Di Maria needs to improve. Their passing were very bad.
Midfield should try keeping the ball and control the game better.

I'm sorry I missed the first match. But fantastic result for Argentina. New game today :)

WOW.... That match was totally nerve-wracking!
But, looking at the positives, 6 points is SO GOOD!

Pleeeeeease let the next match v Nigeria be a little less fraught!

This is not a very good sign.
Argentina has problem in play making for 2 matches already.

Game build up was slow. Hardly seen any good counter attacks or any break through passes. Di Maria, Aguero are really poor in creating opportunities.

Everything rests on Messi alone. This won't do in deeper rounds.

Hope they have learnt and improve on this

A difficult match for sure. But they won, that's all that matters in the end. Messi is magic.
I dont mind Argentina having a slow start as long as they pick up the points. Iran was only interested in defending. It's not eady playing teams like that. Hopefulle they'll be better whrn playing more attack-oriented teams.

Sabella has to play 4-2-3-1. I heard he's going to play 4-4-2, that's not bad, but it will be a disaster if he continues to play 4-3-3 like that, the same mistake Maradona did in the last world cup.

Nope Sabella or no other coach will make any Maradona-scale mistakes - don't worry be happy

Half time v Switzerland. 0-0.

Disappointing first half.
C'mon guys... step it up a bit 2nd half, pleeease!

EDIT: Heyyy Rene, just seen your post... Hiii!

Well 1-0 - nice with an walk ower

Arrrrggghhh!! I'm a nervous wreck after that!

I couldn't have stood it if it had gone to penalties.

Awful game really, but 1-0 is a relief!

Let's see who it's going to be against on Saturday.

It took 30 years before I fotgot about the first game of the WC 1982, but tx. God I still remember the semifinal of the WC 1986

Vamos

I dont have the nerves for Argentina this WC. It would be great if they stopped leaving it to the end. A very deserved win in the end.

Some matches and some world cups stay with you, let,s hope this will stay with us for the right reasons.

Well, I'm tired of Argentina playing brilliantly and getting knocked out in the quarter finals. Let's hope this time we'll make something no matter how we play. Anyway I'm glad Sabella turned into 4-2-3-1.
In Messi we trust
Vamos Argentina

I want to share this with you guys. This is a guy who went to Argentina vs Bosnia match in the Maracana. The atmosphere is so overwhelming. He's speaking in Arabic but I think you'll understand what's going on
http://youtu.be/TQRKmj2Kfl4
Enjoy

I think Belgium will again use the same strategy as all other teams. We can expect Belgium using deep & tight defense and rely on counter attack and set pieces. Hazard & Lukaku are dangerous & no mistake should be made.

Argentina will face another tough match for sure. Hope we can finish them in 90 minutes.

Yes!!!
An early goal at last :)

Half time, looking good so far! Finger's crossed...

Phewwwwwww!! I'm a nervous WRECK!!!
FT 1-0

Now to see who we play on Weds... I hope it's Costa Rica.

Fingers crossed for Costa Rica. Absolutely.

Hello

Katy, Linda,Rene, Karun and Omar..

My friends it is great to see you all on here :)

I hope everyone is well.

We are doing ok in the Copa Mundial.. Looks like its our year :)

Daryl

Forza Albiceleste 2014 !!!!!!

Now we have taken Copacabana - Maracana to come.

Vamos Germany - Tonight and we will to the other spot tomorrow

I assume this is taken from Avenida Atlantica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-0nuErpueo

Brasilero brasilero,
que amargado se te ve,
Maradona es mas grande,
es mas grande que Pele

So nice to see you Daryl. I'm well. Hope you are too.

I cannot believe Germany-Brazil tonight. Talk about a walk over.

1 2