A Gatherin Place for Miners and Clampers

THE OLE MINING CAMP
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: need too learn

Hi Brian,

Let me first say that I can only speak of gold locations in the western states. As far a OH, MI, PA, I won't be of much help.

As far as equipment goes, here is what I suggest. There are several small sluice boxes available which could easily be shipped. There are also some back pack small dredges. I personally found very little use for the one I owned and finally sold it. They are almost useless for anything other than working sand pockets in shallow water.

I own several metal detectors and have strong preference for the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. For simplicity, the Gold bug is OK underground but I don't feel it is very good for nugget shooting. If money is no issue, the I'm told that the Mine Lab units are excellent. Since money is an issue for me, I unfortunately don't have one. I have 3 different White detectors but find them all far less sensitive than the Lobo.

I do have one of those "long range" detectors, and I personally feel it is a big waste of money. I wish I would have used the money I paid for it in purchasing a Mine Lab detector instead.

There were also some very good articles about metal detecting and detectors in the Prospecting and Mining Journal a few monts back.

Well, that's my opinion. I'm sure many folks have dirrering opinions and reasons for those opinions as I'm sure you will too once you have some experiance in the field.

Magyver...