Return to Website

THE OLE MINING CAMP

A Gatherin Place for Miners and Clampers

THE OLE MINING CAMP
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need too learn

hello and thanks for your time with the crazy life i lead and a combination of a love for the outdoors and a need too get away from all the madness in every day life this seems like something i might really enjoy and need so here i am having said that i guess my step is to gather some info the basic,s iv,e been doing some research and have a good picture of where too look and how to recover it using modern day tools now it,s just a trial and error situation but too purchase the right equipmemt is something that i would really like too talk to someone that has some first hand knowledge about so let me tell you where i plan too look so you will have a better picture of what i might be needing to be properious i live in central ohio and from what i have been able too find out about this area there is gold but very little there-fore with the limited time i have to spend enjoying this wonderful sport i don,t want to waste it so probably from what i,ve been able too find out about this region it looks like michigan or pennslyania will be my best bet any info you can send me on these areas and ohio will be greatly apprechated the next area i,ll be looking in is the country of uzbekistan a very rich in gold country but very mountainous snow capped in august type mountainous so from here too there is quit different there-fore i need some help in picking a metal dectector that will serve my needs for both areas money is not a issue and these items will have to be shipped from the states as they are not available there so smaller is better i,m thinking that a dredge is out of the question to ship but if there is a good saluse that is moderitly small this could be an option the only other question i,ll brother you with today is too ask you what you know about these long range finders and weather they can take the place of a metal detector i,m really having fun with this but i do need some help friend thanks for your time and knowledge on these matters hope too hear from you soon until then take care and have a nice day

Re: need too learn

Hi Brian,

Let me first say that I can only speak of gold locations in the western states. As far a OH, MI, PA, I won't be of much help.

As far as equipment goes, here is what I suggest. There are several small sluice boxes available which could easily be shipped. There are also some back pack small dredges. I personally found very little use for the one I owned and finally sold it. They are almost useless for anything other than working sand pockets in shallow water.

I own several metal detectors and have strong preference for the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. For simplicity, the Gold bug is OK underground but I don't feel it is very good for nugget shooting. If money is no issue, the I'm told that the Mine Lab units are excellent. Since money is an issue for me, I unfortunately don't have one. I have 3 different White detectors but find them all far less sensitive than the Lobo.

I do have one of those "long range" detectors, and I personally feel it is a big waste of money. I wish I would have used the money I paid for it in purchasing a Mine Lab detector instead.

There were also some very good articles about metal detecting and detectors in the Prospecting and Mining Journal a few monts back.

Well, that's my opinion. I'm sure many folks have dirrering opinions and reasons for those opinions as I'm sure you will too once you have some experiance in the field.

Magyver...