Thorpe Thewles History Group

Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions or interesting information related to any aspect of the history of the Parish of Grindon in the Tees Valley (including Thorpe Thewles, Wynyard, Grindon & Fulthorpe) please feel free to post an entry in our Forum.

Thorpe Thewles History Group
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interested in family history?

Hello John,

I have reviewed transcriptions of Parish Burial Register and there is no record of a burial service for your grandmother at St James', Thorpe Thewles.
The Burial Survey on the website records all the surviving grave markers these were compared to an earlier survey in the 1980's.

Apologies for not being able to locate your grandmother's resting place. With her dying so young perhaps she rests close to her parish of birth? (I note her death was registered in Stockton Registration District but her final resting place may be closer to where family could mourn her).

... Paul

Paul Dunnill
Hello John,

I have reviewed transcriptions of Parish Burial Register and there is no record of a burial service for your grandmother at St James\', Thorpe Thewles.
The Burial Survey on the website records all the surviving grave markers these were compared to an earlier survey in the 1980\'s.

Apologies for not being able to locate your grandmother\'s resting place. With her dying so young perhaps she rests close to her parish of birth? (I note her death was registered in Stockton Registration District but her final resting place may be closer to where family could mourn her).

... Paul
Good morning, Paul, and thank you for your reply.

Annie Caffrey (nee Harper) was born in 1914 in Waskerley. I have found no trace of her there or nearby. I'd never considered the idea that such a young age for a deceased woman could have an influence on where she might be buried, but with hindsight it seems obvious so I thank you for that.
Problems which are probably making the search more difficult include:
working on the railways - people moved around a lot,
Catholicism - I don't know if Annie was born a Catholic, but her husband and descendants certainly were.
Finances - There was not a lot of money around for elaborate grave markers, newspaper entries and the like.

But I'll continue the search, and I thank you again for your help.

Kind Regards,

John Harbron

Hello Paul.
I started a new post before I realised that I should probably have written here so I’m posting my questions again.

Hello. Bill Jones who has enquired about his Jamieson family suggested I look at your website. I’m delighted to have found it. I, too, am descended from Jamiesons. My great-grandfather was John Jamieson, born at Wynyard in 1857. My grandmother was Florence Jamieson born in Dalton Piercy in 1887. I have been told that John Jamieson worked as a blacksmith at Wynyard Park and that my grandmother worked as a teacher at the school for estate children. Is there anywhere that I can look to confirm these facts and possibly find out more about them?

Hello Anne,

Many thanks for sharing your appreciation of our website. We are a small band and this feedback raises our spirits.

Dalton Piercy is within Hart Parish which is just outside of our area. We expanded our area of interest, making Thorpe Thewles the hub of a wheel, by adding neighbouring parishes. Wynyard falls within two parishes, one of we have transcribed the Church Parish Registers of baptism, marriage and burial. Transcription of these added parishes is ongoing.

Wynyard School Records are on my growing to-do list and I will gladly review them for mentions of your grandmother. Unfortunately I am not at a stage where I can make promises as to when.

Please bare with me.

If you feel comfortable to do so please feel free to email me direct paul.dunnill@ntlworld.com

Keep smiling ... Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks so much for your reply. I very much appreciate your kind offer and will await patiently for any information that might be available.

Anne 😊