General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Information about household toxis.

I am a mom of a 6th month old, 3yrs old and a 12 yr old. My younger sister was born with downs. In order to help her maintain better we decided to take all of the household chemicals out of my partents house. When I was introduced to the team and company that I now work for I not only got to use cleaner, healthier, safter, chaper procucts in mine and my family homes; but I also began working from home so I can raise my children.

Jamie Schummer, Director
jamieschummer@rushmore.com
www.workathomeunited.com/jschummer

The information that follows is information about house hold toxins in the homes of most families.

Environmental Protection Agency studies have shown that indoor air pollution can be 3 to 70 times higher than outdoors.

Almost 50% of all illness is due to poor indoor air quality [1989 State of Massachusetts Study]

According to the National Safety Council, more children under the age of 4 die of accidental household poisonings than are accidentally killed by guns at home

The EPA conducted a study that found that toxic chemicals in household cleaners are three times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor air pollution.

Of 2,983 chemicals analyzed that are found in personal care products:

884 are toxic
146 can cause tumors
218 can cause reproductive complications
778 cause acute toxicity
314 can cause biological mutations
376 can cause skin and eye irritations
[Source: United States House of Representatives Report through NIOSH, 1989]

Ingestion only accounts for about 10% of household poisonings. 90% of poisoning happens through inhalation and skin absorption.

150 chemicals found in the home have been connected to allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders. [The Consumer Protection Agency)

Diseases that used to occur later in life are now appearing at younger ages. Diseases that used to be rare are more frequent. For example:

There has been a 28% increase in childhood cancer since the addition of pesticides into household products.
Cancer is now the #2 killer of children – second only to accidental poisonings. Since 1977 the rate of cancer among American children has been steadily rising at a rate of nearly 1% each year. [National Cancer Institute]

Jamie Schummer, Director
jamieschummer@rushmore.com
www.workathomeunited.com/jschummer