Return to Website

The Pelicans Message Board

Please feel free to leave a message or reply to any that have been left by other people

The Pelicans General Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Columba's

Just made our annual visit to St Cs and this time with our two granddaughters. Brian (caretaker) tells me proposed sale has now been withdrawn. It would appear that restrictions re a number of development proposals ( definitely no hotel/ housebuilding permitted) has put potential buyers off. It also seems there are a number of other Restrictive Covenants in force. When Scottish Enterprise took over, significant money was invested ( probably government/ Euro grants). However, it does seem that the venture was unsuccessful. Externally, basic maintenance is lacking. The garden ( created in 70's and boasting all manner of experimental fruit tress and veg) is now an overgrown inaccessible jungle. However, fortunately, the graves are still reasonably tidy. Outside could certainly do with a lick of paint. But it appears there is no money available for this.

Prior to our visit, just by sheer chance we discovered a website offering accommodation in 6 converted barns ( now self cater cottages ) at the foot of the Eildons and a mere 2mins ( by car) from Melrose town centre. At £376 for 4 of us for 3 night stay, will definitely use this for future visits. Google Eildon Cottages for anyone interested.

Time was I and my fellow 13 yr old seminarians could scamper up all 3 Eildon Hills in one afternnon. My two granddaughters and I set off to climb at least one. I am sure we would have reached the top but the younger one could go no further. Nevertheless, the view was spectacular. Can definitely recommend the climb for a good night's sleep.

The weather was unexpectedly superb. Sunshine each day. Decided to take a run up to North Berwick ( Bass Rock and The Law). How that place has changed since 1956 when Dryburgh House went there on a day trip from St Cs with Geoff Riddle and Bro Didicus.