Return to Website

The Pelicans Message Board

Please feel free to leave a message or reply to any that have been left by other people

The Pelicans General Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Todays Visit to Loughan House

Dear John - it was nice to meet you last Monday (10-Sep-2018)
at Loughan House. There are a few places at this website where
your auntie 'Bud' is remembered, especially 'Blacklion Revisited'
by John Byrne. Also many pics show Maurice Cunningham.
See mention of both in GALLERY page 207. Best wishes, Robbie Dempsey.

John and Robbie,
Having just read your posts I was taken back to my time at the Black. The last visit I made was in 1993 with my wife Kay and son Liam. We were admitted readily and shown around by a guard named Mick. We visited my room 1959-60, overlooking the Lough and the head-butting rams in the field. It was a shock to enter the room unannounced and find the THREE occupants. The chapel was a revelation as that part of the building was just the furnace and the mud room when I departed in 1961. I must talk to Liam and ask him if the memory of the razor wire fence and the miasma of body odour helped to keep him on the straight and narrow through his late teens and early twenties - the danger years for males!
With Robbie referring to John's "auntie" - Bud, I remembered her and realized that Bud was just that to so many Pelicans. She was our young aunt or in some circumstances big sister - the one you were excited to see when she visited. Her catering was was a change from the normal fare at the college, delicious as it was. What fun it was to turn into Bud's after a day out in the hills and know a cup of tea was to hand together with a warm welcome.
We visited with Bud after the jail and had a cuppa and talked over the old times. May she rest in peace.
That was a pleasant reminiscence. Have you got any more, Pelicans?

Robbie.Have made contact with Maurice Cunnigham through Facebook in the U.S. and have had a reply from him amazing the power of the internet and hopefully I can meet in the not too distant future.Slan for now John G.

Mike.Great to hear from you and even more so those stories of Aunty Bud etc keep her in our memories.Take Care and hopefully we can meet at some stage.John G.