Return to Website

The Pelicans Message Board

Please feel free to leave a message or reply to any that have been left by other people

The Pelicans General Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seven Steps

Hi folks,

I used to use a different email address many years ago
so I was recently having a look over some forgotten messages.

I remember having many exchanges of info with Eugene MacBride
and I met him and wife Zelda many times - including a Sunday
walk around Galley Down ( approx 2005/6 ) !

Anyway he had obtained that film for the Pelicans which is called:
Seven Steps to the Altar
this was sent to Bernard Melling for 'extraction off tape' and conversion
to a format for the web. Bernard did a great job.

See also some stills on Gallery photo pages 222/223.

I happened to ask Eugene about the ordinations and he sent me the
following email: (08-Jul-2006)

Dear Robbie:
The ordinations took place at Jedburgh (Archbishop MacDonald) on 3 June 1949.
You can see John D. Conway and Pierce J. English being ordained to the diaconate.
I was at St Mary's Galashiels on 1 June 1950, a year later. when Bp Scanlan made
them priests. Conway sang a magnificent Veni Creator.
Ask me another.
Eugene.

Re: Seven Steps

The men who were shown being ordained in "Seven Steps" were the group who had been interned in France. My brother KEVIN WISEMAN was one of them.

Recently I had a very good meal with friends in ROSSINGTON HALL, which is a splendid hotel. A photo of these men with Fr. Howell, Provincial, is hung in the entrance Hall of the Hotel.

I was last in ROSSINTON HALL in 1945.

Re: Seven Steps

Dear Celia,
Many thanks for your message. Indeed, many thanks for your wonderful collection of photos
displayed at the Pelicans [Gallery] pages 157-160. I thought I knew 'nothing' about Rossington
Hall but know I see that Fr. Stan Lea was in charge of the move there from Autreppe in 1939
(see his obituary in obits page 13). I was at the Priory when he was Fr. Superior there in 1967.
Also Fr Tom O'Donnell was our Fr. Superior at St. Columba's in 1959/60. So there are many of us
who recall their amazing story. Your brother tells it well here at [Histories] on page 9.
Robbie.