Return to Website

The Pelicans Message Board

Please feel free to leave a message or reply to any that have been left by other people

The Pelicans General Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blacklion Sept 1967

Hello to all readers, I am just recalling that exactly
50 years ago this week I travelled by train from Birmingham
to Holyhead and got the boat to Dun Laoghaire, then a bus
from Dublin to Enniskillen and a lift to St. Augustine's at Blacklion.
I am sure there are many Pelicans who would agree that
spending a year there, or two in my case, was indeed an
extraordinary and unforgettable experience !
.......Robbie Dempsey.

Re: Blacklion Sept 1967

The Blacklion experience is certainly worth remembering Robbie! I was only there for 18 months, but I still feel it's not to be forgotten and for me I reckon it was quite foundational!
And I was there again a couple of weeks ago, taking photos from the road. Building hardly visible because the trees had grown so much. I remember the site as being quite open and bleak, whereas it's quite wooded now.
First time I've been in Ireland since I was in my 20's! Stayed with my niece who is near Ballymena for 6 months studying curlews for RSPB, and made a trip to Blacklion and then on to friends in Donegal.
All the best to you, Robbie, and to anyone else I know who happens to read this!
Martin Whillis

Re: Blacklion Sept 1967

Just like Robbie, I travelled to St.Augustin's in September 1967 but starting at Glasgow airport for a flight to Belfast, then into the city to get an Ulsterbus to Enniskillen. I think we then caught the Sligo bus that dropped us off at the college. It was the start of what I have always called the best year of my life. I think but am not certain that I was joined by Robin Russell, Owen Gormley and Ian Scott.