Return to Website

The Pelicans Message Board

Please feel free to leave a message or reply to any that have been left by other people

The Pelicans General Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Browsing the obits

With the recent death of Pat Shanahan (for me he was always Albert) I was going through the listings and came upon the photo of Seamus Browne preparing to celebrate his first mass at Blacklion.
I remember his ordination very clearly since I was part of the serving team at the ceremony. I had been MC and had handed over the post to Brendan Neiland, who is on the far right of the picture, at Easter as was the custom. Since the ordination was a very big deal I was detailed off to supplement the regulars.
Frank Treanor was appointed crozier bearer, there was a mitre bearer too in the team. We all practiced diligently under Pancho O'Mahoney's direction and anticipated the arrival of the bishop the night before the ceremony. At about six on that evening Frank knocked on my door and beckoned me down to the sacristy. There was the crozier in sections lying in its purple velvet carrying case. Of course Frank assembled it. Now Frank was from Armagh, as I remember, and as he held it up instinct took over and he began to wield the staff like a drum major's mace at the head of a fife and drum band.
All a great laugh until horrors! the crook was poorly secured and crashed to the floor from a height of nine or ten feet. Needless to say the fun stopped there as we examined the piece for visible damage, missing jewels etc. Great relief all round as it was found to be intact. The crook was firmly attached to the shaft and Frank performed on the day with considerably less panache than the previous evening.
To bring the story full circle, the other students in the photo from the left are: Michael Keller, Eric, Mick Nolan and next to Brendan Tony Quayle. Tony had attended high school with Frank in Northern Ireland (he remains the only Manx man I have ever met) and they formed a terrific midfield duo in the College's Gaelic Football team.

Thank you Webteam for picking up the load on Paul's retirement. We owe him a big thank you for all his dedicated work.
I look forward to keeping in touch.
Pax vobiscum, Pelicanes.
Mike Mearns