SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Need Help With Hound

She was in the grass. She is now on concrete. It does look like she was scratching. No sores, just irritated

well the vet told him to give the dog benadryl or claritan. it helped some. someone posted a website the other day on here about home remedies. it suggested something for his dog to spray apple cider vinegar on his dog for itching. cant remember if it was full strength or not. i think it was earthclinic.com look under the pet section. have known some people to use head and shoulders shampoo as well. also if you have some dex you can give her some of that as well. since it is an anti-imflammatory. i know thats what the vet started off with his dog. good luck

Thanks!!!!

We had a couple dogs with red irritated patches on their hips running down their legs, we treated them with Dr.Wackos and it cleared up in a week or so.

Mix one part peroxide, one part wqrm water, and 3 tablespoons of 20 Mule Team Borox. It works like a charm for mange or any other skin iritations.

ivomec will fix most hair issues

James Morgan is correct........give under the skin, not orally-

John Foster

Thanks guys. I have given her Ivomex. I may be a little impatient so maybe I'm headed in the right direction

I had 2 with the same symptoms carried each one to a different vet. Both vets said they had mange mites. Vet said all dogs have them, just some aren't resistent to them. One vet said to give the dog a full dose of ivomec for 60 days and it worked, but it came back. The other gave me some taktic and told me to bath him once a week for 4 weeks then use promeris on him once a month. I have been doing this for a year and haven't had any more problems. I would not have done this if he wasn't such a good dog. Both of these were the exact same cross, but were different litters. Vet told me not to breed them because it would probably breed on. Sorry it took so long but I hope this helps.

This is the old timey "red mange" and it is somewhat inherited and does come and go. If a dog's resistence is down it flares up worse. It is almost impossible to cure but can be controlled with ivomec. As one of you posted, a continous treatment for several days will help and good feed helps also. The dog's resistance must be built up and the ivomec does help knock the mange out but it can reoccur. It is a different mange from sarcoptic mange. Sarcoptic mange itches and the dog does lots of scratching and it can be cured with many of the mange medicines or even sulphur and burned oil mixture will cure it but the red mange is different and much harder to control. Stress can cause the red mange to come back, it is the main thing that causes the problem whether it be stress from the heat of the summer, or lack of good food or whatever it is, this causes the reoccurance more than anything else. Stress from the aggrivation of fleas can also cause it. Good luck.

Thanks Don. Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm going to try the Ivomex on a continous basis.