SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    So what are some of the hunt rules...

I am strictly a deer hunter but love to hear a good race. I read this forum almost daily & I see the hunts posted, but have never been to one & would like to ask a few questions.

1. Do your dogs have to be registered to run in the
    hunts?
    2. What are the different type of hunts? Age ranges?
    Etc;
    3. If you have a dog that "hunts" how do the judges
    know which dog "jumps" the game if they can't see
    them?
    4. I know everyone here mentions the fastest dog, is
    that the only or "best" way for the hound to score?

I'm sure I'll think of a thousand more questions, but for now knowing the above will get me on the right track. Thanks in advance, Mike

Re: So what are some of the hunt rules...

Not a pro, but will do my best. All other POSITIVE input is welcome.

1. They do not have to be registered.

2a. There are 1-day, 2-day, 3-day, and 4-day hunts. The 4 days hunts are only the USO and All-American I believe. Three day hunts are the hunts that crown champions. 2-day hunts are usually reserved for "derby" age dogs (under 2 years old) and one days are just that, one day.
    2b.Speed and drive and HGA are the 2 types of hunts. speed and drive is only on speed scores, and HGA is the highest general average of 4 categories. Hunting, Trailing, Speed/Drive and Endurance (at least 15 s/d points plus a score in either hunting or trailing, then divided by 4).
    2c. Puppy hunts range in age, and are determined the the governing body sanctioning the hunt. Derby is under 2yrs old and all age is anything.

3. All of the dogs entered in a trial have numbers painted on them, and judges are trained to carefully watch which dogs hunt and trail and jump the game by vsound of voice.

4. A hound can score in hunting or trailing in an HGA hunt. I have a set of both Masters and National rules on my website. Take a look at both and if you have and more questions, don;t be afraid to ask. Typically, it seems that the eastern part of the country prefers the National Rules, and the western part prefers Masters rules. A few hunts judge by both. Up to you which one you prefer.

As far as scoring though, the first hound in a crossing gets 35 points, 2nd-30, 3rd-25, 4th-20, and all others get 15. A hound running alone gets 20.

Re: Re: So what are some of the hunt rules...

www.silvertabkennels.com

Thanks Randall,
    I read the entire page on National Rules and learned alot. Sure is alot of rules. If your dog isn't papered how would the age be determined? Thanks, Mike

it's kind of an honor system thing.....i'll just leave it at that

If your dog is not Litter enrolled or registered
    it would have to run in the all age and it can not be crowned Champion title only winner of the hunt if it did win this is my understanding