SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    info please

can someone please tell me if a fox has a similar scent to a deer ive heard some say that they do and some say the opposite. I have recently gotten into deer dogs and was wonderin if the fox pens were a good place for me to take em.

Re: info please

got to be different b/c you can break dogs from running one or the other.

i was thinking that but i always hear of people taking their deer dogs to the fox pens

Just my opinion. Deer and foxes dont smell that much alike i dont think. But i dont know how it smells to a dog but i would think they smell nothing alike.As for running them in a pen it all depends on what you want in them. I dont like running the dogs im going to deer hunt in the fox pen (again just my opinion) they seem to pick up to many bad habits.Running the roads not learning to hunt for there game that much. They either run across something in the road or go to another dog thats already running in the pen. Running them in the pen will not keep them from being able to run a deer. The main thing i look at in a deer dog is being able to find something to run on his own and when he jumps it he sticks with what he jumped not changing back and forth on different deer. There is nothing i hate more than jumping a buck and the dogs changing on a doe.Thats one reason i dont hunt pen dogs on a deer. You can run them in the pen some but just know it will take a couple times running them on the outside to get the road running out of them. They will run deer and those kind of dogs suit a lot of people. Just not me.

thanks and since u mentioned it ive got a bluetick walker cross about 10 months old and he does alrite with a pack but when i turn him loose by himself he seems to run 1 deer for a few minutes then come back to where we jumped and take off in another direction like on another deer any suggestions on what i can do to keep on 1 deer for a longer period of time when with a pack he will run as long as the rest