SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Disease Control contacted me

Concerning the dogs dying this is the first confirmed case in NC. ever but the labs in SC. have had 4 cases so far this year with 1 guy loseing 5 hounds he ran them about 12 hrs catching them up he noticed the swelling 18 hrs latter they all were dead the chromo bacteria was isolated in his dogs sample . If you read the post yesterday I said antibiotics would prevent it but only certin ones ,The center said they would send me a list on wensday to share. this is a serious bacteria killing people in other countries,so far only dogs in usa. It can enter you or your dogs through cuts or around bad toe nails but can also be ingested ,it is a soil/water contamition no one knows wher it comes from or how it is transmited because any mammals that are infected usually show signs within 12 hrs . without correct drugs die within 48 hrs. there is only 57% mortality rate in humans. again it is not contagious you must come in direct contact with the contamint. this cold weather should help it can not live in below 40 deg weather . there is still no areas in NC. that are known to house this bacteria , but if you hunt south of here you will need to put dogs on an antibotic as a precautionary it is much easier to prevent than treat . Also if you notice excesive swelling dont give any dex or predisone this will speed up this bacteria asuring death.if a dog gets a little in a skin wound it may take 48 hrs to show up if dogs have been catching of fighting and are cut up pretty good and they contact this bacteria it will begin to show in a fed hrs. I will post all antibiotcs used to fight and prevent this tomorrow. Thanks Wound Tight Kennels Stacy Robinson.

Re: Disease Control contacted me

Stacie...Thanks for the update! I know that I and many others are very interested in this situation! Anything you can pass on to help us is deeply appreciated! Hopefully your information will help others in treating and/or preventing the same from happening!!
    It is the sharing of information and helping of each other that makes SpeedDogs and all that use it special! Where else do hunters come together to help each other and enjoy the passion of hunting with hounds like all of us on do on here and a couple other sites!
    Thanks for your help! Know that from your adversity maybe many other hunters will be spared the loss of their hounds!
    Thanks from all of us!!

ALLAN BISHOP
    (JABBER JAW)

how far south and what do they call this

Mid South Carolina to everglades this is a tropic badteria it can live in the harshest soil so bad that there are no nutrients and water so bad nothing no lizard frog or other thing can survive cold temps kill it but research is not conclusive enough to say it wont come back if it has gone deep into the soil. somethings lay dormant for years then logging or diging brings them back .just not information available in dealing with this it is like looking for needle in 3 haystacks even if you pin it down to a few acers it could be a small mud hole or animal den ,even water pocket in fork of tree stumps

This is Wensday I have the slowest mail in state I never get my chase untill after the 20th I do have a list of some of the antibiotics but were waiting for list to come in mail. not exactly sure if I wrote the correct spelling you all can see I cant spell any way . but heres what they said Trime sulfat---Amikacium---terta cycleen ---somethin called Dayhy---and the last one they said was gen -----something Animilan. thats the best I can do until the list comes. As Allways Wound Tight Stacie Robinson.

Its friday night I got all my paper work today The killer is a bacteria called Chromobacterium violaceum. The drugs that will work or the bacteria is sensitive to are as follows---- Amikacin---Amoxicillin/clavulanate----Gentamicin---Caphalothin---Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole----Tetracycline. These are things you can give to prevent/help cure , if your dog gets it take to vet fast start on fluoroquinolones dont let dog dehydrate most of the helper drugs will dehydrate some fluid iv will suffice. I wish you all never encounter it again If you do feel free to call me more dogs have died from it than I will talk about . GA has not had a case this year FL has only 2 this year but had a good many last year . We are lucky as foxhunters in comunication there is no reason to be a loneranger concerning the health of our hounds, Take this list to your supplier and find you something your are comfortable with giving. Hope this helps someone. As Allways Wound Tight Stacie Robinson