SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: foxhunter, eh?

Great post Eric!!!!!! I enjoyed it very much. Also I am proud to say I understood everything you was saying. Happy hunting!!!!!!!

Let it go man.Anybody can go Foxhunting, so you can call it that if you want too. It takes a good houndsman to take 15 to 20 head of hounds and catch a fox on the outside! Call it Foxhunting if you want too "Running in a pen" but the guys that catch the game on the outside are simply better houndsman. Not everyone can do it. I know I can't, I dont have the patience or the dog sense to make a pack of outside foxhounds. But I respect the guys that can. I simply have deer dogs, or thats what I call them. They will run a fox or coyote if they run across one, I try to break them off. I would not say I was a foxhunter though. I think Bubba said it best when he said it must be a N.C., V.A. thing. Maybe you need to change the subject to who is the better houndsman. I'm sure the boys could give you a ear full on that. My dad outside foxhunted, if this conversation came up at the dinner table I would be asked to leave. If running a pen, is foxhunting to you, then happy hunting. In certain circles it's not.

Scott, Good points. Well said. It is a difficult thing to get a pack of straight, outside hounds that can catch game. Don't think anyone who's ever tried to do that would dispute it.
    However, the 'best' houndsman is like having the 'best' hounds. To someone who three-day field trials or a night hunter, it doesn't matter how well your hounds handle -- if they quit the third day or the 12th hour, they aren't foxhounds in THEIR book. Does that mean that their owners aren't foxhunters?
    To someone who runs coyotes, a hound that will kill a seven-pound fox stone dead but will not get within shouting distance of a 45-pound coyote the second time he catches one, is a cull. They look at foxdogs somewhat the way bear hunters look at coon dogs. If your hound will not go toe-to-toe with something that can fight back, is he a real foxhound and are you a real foxhunter? Depends on your agenda.
    Also, to a red fox hunter, no matter how well your pack can follow the twists and turns of a darting gray, if they can't take the slack out of a wily red and put him to running and keep him running when he lines out for three miles -- you ain't GOT fox hounds. Are you still a foxhunter?
    For the 20th and last time -- I mean no disrespect to hunters that can catch gray fox on the outside and certainly none to those who feed and hunt hounds that will only run the game they desire to pursue. It's tough getting those hounds. It's also tough getting a pen hound that can run the front and stay there in tough company.
    It's hard to get a hound with the speed, nose and toughness to catch a well-conditioned coyote that has room to operate and then finish the job.
    Good hounds -- and we all have slightly different preferences and objectives -- don't grow on trees or computers. It takes work and some measure of ability to consistently put them afield. They DO come in different packages, though -- just like foxhunters.

I guess what I am saying is this... My wife could go and spend a couple thousand dollars and buy some pen dogs, and do very well in field trials, just by simply showing up and turning them out at cast time. She could also buy a well known outside fox hunters dogs, take them on the outside, and she will not catch a thing, cause there is alot more to it than just turning them loose in a bean field. You may have already covered all of this in some of your earlier post. I never read all of them...not enough Redbull in this area to keep me awake that long. Like I said, call it what you want, your opinion, and my opinion are different.Just seems like you keep trying to justify your opinion by these well thought out post. Just my opinion on it though. Everybody needs to enjoy it while we still can anyway. Call it whatever you want to. I am not a foxhunter, just a washed up deer hunter.

Your wife would have to be careful WHAT 2,000 dollar pen dog she bought. Also, if she planned to win more than one, she might have to learn a bit about conditioning, faults to look for etc. because SOME of those guys winning consistently in pen trials do more than just spend a few thousand and turn em out.
    You're right. This is getting pointless and tiresome.
    You certainly have every right to put whatever label you choose on what you do. Just don't try to define what I do for me.

WoodDuck, You ain't gonna win this one, but, you know where I stand.

if you spend more than 20 minutes thinking of a answer (and posting it on this site) to what is and isnt foxhunting...then you are not a foxhunter...thats my answer!!!

Its taken him two weeks of running his dogs on yotes and looking in the mirror at himself with his foxhunter T-shirt on to type yet another big meaningless paragraph! Turn your computer dial back to Masterfox I'm sure everyone on there is missing your foxhunting intelligence!MOVE ON!!!!(BARBER)

Poon said it best,YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE!You obviously have a talent for writing but you could atleast write about something you can make sense of.Why does it bother you so bad not to be called a foxhunter?You could settle for houndsman because at best thats what you are.Dont get me wrong Im not downing you for that,matter of fact Im glad you are,lord knows we need all the support we can get.But you AINT a foxhunter.When my child is sick I can give him medicine but that doesnt make me a doctor.It takes alot more to be considered such and it takes alot more than you do to be considered a foxhunter.Believe it or not its more than just shock collars and bean fields but I guess all you know about real foxhunting is what you spend so much time reading on your computer.Just quit trying so hard to cover up your inferiority complex,accept just being a houndsman like so many of us do and enjoy what you do for what it really is "PEN RUNNING".

If you want to talk about a hound that will go toe-to toe with something, These coyote's that the boys put in their pens around here are some kind of wusses. You put your hounds after a 30lb bobcat and let them try his hindparts if they can get that close. He's got 10 razors on his front feet that'll make a dog think before he bites him a second time. By the way, when I go foxhunting, I'm foxhunting. When I'm cathunting, I'm cathunting. Not to be confused with coyotes.

is this not getting old. i am just a old deer hunter that use pens in the off season to keep my hounds in shape. i know that i run in the pen and hunt on the outside. but i am a deer hunter on the out side and may be a field trailer on the inside but only if there is a foxtrail when i am running on the inside. none of this make me a foxhunter. get over it. i do like the way you write just find something else to write about.

Chris, Always good to hear from you. How are the wife and kids?
    Don't hold much with t-shirts and labels and stuff. It's kind of like the bumper sticker you have on your truck -- ' the b-llsh-t stops when the tailgate drops'. We both know, lots of times, it doesn't.
    Anyway, can't chinwag for long. I've got a girls field lacrosse game to cover. Field lacrosse is in tough shape. The real estate boom has turned a lot of lacrosse fields into strip malls and sushi bars.
    The game has gone inside. Box lacrosse they call it. They play it in gyms and hockey rinks and such. Same game, but they cut out a lot of the loops and twirls and got right to the speed and mayhem. If it was any faster and tougher, you'd have to call it hockey.
    Anyway, the field lacrosse gals hate it. They sound like that dour old Scotsman who used to be on tv saying ' but it's not oatmeal!'. " it's not lacrosse", they say, but of course, it is.
    Anyway, when they get ranting and carrying on, I just tell em what my old foxhunting buddy always recommends -- " move on, ladies. MOVE ON".
    Great advice and I'm gonna do just that. Have a great week foxhunting in the wild, the wire or wherever. Your buddy in foxhunting, Scoop.

Re: Re: foxhunter, eh?

Thank goodness because u are an idiot!

Eric,I don't have the bumper sticker or the T-shirts glad you finally found your calling though "SOCCER MOM". If the shoe fits wear it and if you know ones to big your wasting your time trying it on!!Bet you wish you could use some shock collars today on the BALL FIELD!HA,HA,HA!!!You're a real knee slapper Emerson!! If they have #'s on their backs you can call it FIELD TRIALING!!(BARBER)

Brad, Great to know you're on board in this sport of ours. The antis don't want to call us anything but finished.
    Good suggestion, about replacing 'foxhunter' with 'houndsman'.
    Those magazines -- Chase, Horn, Red Ranger -- that we've all read for years -- instead of calling em foxhunting magazines, we can call em houndsmen magazines.
    And that Foxhunters Hall of Fame that includes outside hunters, inside hunters, coyote hunters, red fox hunters, gray fox hunters and even the occasional field trialer -- the one you and I aren't likely to be inducted into any time soon -- we can just call it the Houndsmen's Hall of Fame.
    But what about that strain of hounds we run -- the Walker foxhound? Somehow Walker houndsmens hound doesn't sit just right.
    Aw heck, let's just call it foxhunting.

Chris, This foxhunting world of ours would be a smaller place without you -- friendlier, but smaller.

FOX HUNITING HAS AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE A OUTSIDE

THING AS FAR AS I AM CONCERENED!! NOT TRYING TO TAKE

AWAY FROM WHAT ANY MAN DOES OR WHAT HE CALLS IT !!!

LIKE I SAID "AS FAR AS I AM CONCERENED" I BELIEVE

HOUND OWNERS COVER A BROAD SPECTRUM OF PEOPLE.FROM

ONE END OF THE COUNTRY TO THE OTHER PEOPLE CHASE

GAME OF ALL SORTS IN ALL TYPES OF PLACES!!!TRYING TO

LOOK AT THIS IN A OBJECTIVE MANOR I SEE ERIC AS TRYING

TO LABEL A GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO ARE AS DIFFERENT AS

NITE AND DAY BUT ALL OWN HOUNDS !!! SOME GUYS AROUND

THE HOUSE HUNT FOX ONE WAY AND SOME HUNT THIS WAY

BOTH CAST HOUNDS AND BOTH RUN FOX BUT IF YOU COMBINE

THE TWO THERE WILL TROUBLE!!! I THINK THAT THE

SPECIAL PART OF THIS SPORT IS BEING OVER LOOKED AND

THAT IS THAT NO MATTER WHAT A MAN DOES IF HE IS

ENJOYING HIMSELF THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!! HE FEEDS

HIS HOUNDS AND I WILL FEED MINE !!! WHAT HE LIKES

MAY SUIT HIM WHAT I LIKE MAY NOT SUIT HIM!!! I HAVE

ENCOUNTERD THIS JUST THIS YEAR DEER HUNTING IN OUR

CLUB !!! SOME LIKE A SLOW TRACK MINDED DOG SOME

LIKE A FAST HEADS UP DOG THAT CAN REALLY GO BUT IN

THE END IF HIS ARE RUNNIG THE BULL I WILL SHOOT IF

MINE ARE RUNNING THE BULL HE WILL SHOOT !!! ALL IN THE

IN THE NAME OF HUNTING !!! ERIC I THINK THE LABEL YOU

ARE LOOKING FOR IS NOT BLACK OR WHITE BUT GREY !!

GOOD HUNTING TO ALL NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO HAVE FUN

AND TAKE A YOUNG PERSON HUNTING SO TOO MAKE SURE THAT

OUR RIGHT TO DO WHAT SO MANY LOVE WILL BE PRESERVED

LATER
    NMICHAEL L. MITCHELL

Michael, I could have said it longer, but I couldn't have said it better.

Eric, Great post !I just love to hear a good race inside or out. Good hunting!!!JC

I like how you replace good sense with sarcasm.Continue to ignore the obvious my friend it will make you a better houndsman.

Good sense is like beauty -- depends on your point of view.
    Good hunting, or whatever label you choose to hang on it.

If you don't listen to your dogs your not truly a foxhunter. So it's okay to hang out with your buddies. That's okay in all but listen to your dogs!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Brad, It is truly amazing how so many people in this word just don,t really know or understand what foxhunting is. I know that in different terain you would have to adjust some things. Most people have know idea what a foxhound is capable of doing. All they know is turn them out of the box and hope they run something. And thats O.K. (for them).
    Have you guys been having any fun?

We havent done much since the deer law came in.We went across the river with Bubba last Sunday but it turned out to be one of those long days cat hunting.I have been trying to help cut down the deer population the past 2 days and heard some pretty good races considering what we were running.None of our crowd is going tomorrow but I need the rest anyway.All this hunting is killing me.Hows things on your end?

YOUR NOT A FOX HUNTER I AM A FOXHUNTER.NO NO I SAID I WAS A FOXHUNTER . NO I SAID IT .NO I SAID IT FIRST . NO I DID. I WANNA BE A FOXHUNTER... THIS IS POTHETIC IF ANY BODY WANTS TO BASH ME GO FOR IT BUT MAN UP AND CALL ME 910-494-4190PATTERSON

I am a houndsman.When I was fourteen years old I read the book WHERE THE RED FERNS GROW---nine times. I wanted some coon hounds so bad I couldn't stand it but we lived in town and my father never liked dogs. I kept on untill he bought me a bluetick started dog.I would hunt him behind the house on the branch and he treed a few possums in town. My dad as I said didn't like hunting or dogs but he took me and that ol dog coonhunting in the swamps where we had hunting rights on. He would sit in the truck and I would hunt the dog. I also would take him occasionally with a guy that had two trained treeing walkers. Well I was young and the dog had red mange so i had to treat him every week with paramite....back then there was no cure for it. I wasn't able to hunt enough so I gave the dog to another coonhunting buddy of the guy that had the two treeing walkers. Ten years later I met a guy that hunted with that ol bluetick named Lead and he wound up making the fella a cracker jack dog.

Then when I was fifteen my uncle was a foxhunter and he gave me a running walker pup and this fella gave me a year old smallish female black and tan hound about 35 lbs. or so. Well I was into deer hunting then and ran them with the club. I had fun but the dogs stayed lost more than at home. The black and tan got stolen and the Walker got out of the pen at the house and got run over and killed in town. By the way my uncle was a true outside foxhunter for this was in the mid to late seventies and there were few deer around here then. I went with him a few times and his pack caught a gray fox at night and in the woods. He was mad cause he couldn't run him again.

I quit the hound hunting for awhile and still hunted deer some but when I got in my early twenties I got the coonhunting fever again. Well I met several guys my age and we all got pups and started training them. Some got run over, some got lost in deer chases and stolen but we persisted untill we got some good broke coon dogs. I had a pair of Treeing Walkers that would have the coon 99% of the time and I never went to a field trial and didn't care to.
    One of the treeing walkers...a gyp...loved to tree squirrels and when she got to be about four years old I quit coon hunting her and squirrel hunted her. I will brag on her...I have yet to see another dog tree squirrels like she did. She was a 40lb dog and could move. If the squirrels were thick --and we only shot the ones she treed-- we killed fifteen squirrels in 400 to 500 yds in hardwoods. If they weren't out good she would hunt out and find them and tree and always had the squirrel.If he wasn't there he was in a hole.

A buddy of mine and I were hunting this dog one evening and he took a .410 pump shot gun and I always took a .22 rifle and either barked em or shot them in the head when I could. No offense, but he couldn't shoot. Well my dog treed about a hundred yds. ahead and we walked up to the tree and stood back about 30 yds. I saw the squirrel and couldn't get him to see it and he wanted to try out that 410 but I was wanting to head shoot him for I rather eat a limb rat than a rabbit but he finally saw the dang squirrel and this tree was at least forty foot tall or more. Well he shot the squirrel or should I say peppered him with the 410 and the squirrel started running up the tree. My hound saw it and by the way she was a hard tree dog but when we shot she would quit barking and start looking. So he is pumping that lil gun and peppering that squirrel till he had him running wide open up that tree and when he hit the top he sailed out of the tree and I wish I had had a video camera for my dog saw the squirrel and started running and looking back at the squirrel as she was having to haul butt for she was gonnna catch him. Well she looked like a baseball player running for a ball hit over his head looking back to catch it and the squirrel wound up at least 40 yds from the tree and the hound barely missjudged the squirrel and she lept up six or eight feet and caught the squirrel in mid air. **** that 410 we should have just knocked him out and let her catch him.
    Another time my brother and I went with this dog squirrel hunting. She treed and he had a shotgun and I had the 22. Well I had to show him the squirrel and he shot it and the hound ran to where he fell but no squirrel. she started circling wide open looking for him and we knew he was hit. Well it was fall and we were in hardwoods and the leaves were pretty deep. My bro and I were looking where the squirrel landed and the dog was searching out for him.Well I called her over to where the squirrel had landed and she sniffed around a bit then stuck her nose in a hole that leaves had covered up. The hole was only like five inches in diameter or so and then we saw the wounded squirrels head. We knew all he had to do was go down a little deeper and we'd never get him. Well the squirrel bit my dogs lip and held on and this hound very slowly eased her head out pulling the squirrel out of the hole and you could tell by the look on the dogs face that she knew if she pulled too hard he would let go and go back in the hole so she eased him out then turned her head to get him away from the hole then shook him off and bit him and killed him.

She lived to be thirteen and I hunted her untill she was eight.

Then I trained and ran rabbit beagles for ten years and had alot of fun at that. Then about five years ago I got into the foxhounds. I run in pens some and on the outside.

I am a houndsman and hunter. I appreciate any kind of good hunting dog and I have had a lot of fun with my own dogs, as well as, other folks hounds. I also have alot of respect for the cat hunters,mountain lion,bear, and any kind of hound hunter and his hounds along with the foxhunters and coonhunters.

I have learned alot about training all kinds of hounds from other people and some things I figured out myself.

It takes all the different kinds of hunters and hounds to make this good earth go round.

Patterson, there's no way anyone can argue with you better than you just did with yourself! (BARBER)

YOU DONE JUST WHAT I THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE A GREAT DAY. PATTERSON

Patterson,exactly what are you going to do if someone does call you,use a real deep voice and give a scary tongue lashing!Get real man!! Phone calls or over the computer,not much difference!Change the subject a few know the deal and alot don't!!!! (BARBER)

NAH NO ARGUING HERE JUST CALL IT LIKE I SEE IT. I MUST OF STEPPED ON SOME TOES WITH THE FIRST POST. IF THE SHOE FITS WERE IT. BUT DAGON ITS THE SAME OLD SONG AND DANCE. TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE AND GIVE IT UP. ITS ALL GRAVY PATTERSON

Adam,good talking to you on the phone!Heck, I was wrong this time it did work better than the computer,understood your point and you understood mine! Great conversation!(BARBER)

PATTERSON