SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: What makes a jump dog?

I always had pretty good luck running them by themselves after they come out of the breaking pen. Try to start them on greys if possible. The pens today have taken almost all the hunt out of most hounds bc there’s a coyote behind every tree. It takes time and a lot of patience but keep at it and turn out n spots u know there’s game. Young dogs will always have misses and often over run the track early on but feed em tracks! The best athletes n the world train every day. Most of the time if a Hound have it n them so it’s our job to put n the ground time. Don’t matter how good one is bred up he’s only as good as the time u put n most of em. If u think about it most people u know that have the best dogs run them every week. The ones that get laughed at behind their back r the guys that leave em shut up for 2 months at a time or even longer. One of my buddies that only deer hunts takes his dogs out individually and let’s each one get a couple hours in at a time. He has the best dogs by far n the deer woods. If they can’t produce their own game by a year old they don’t make the cut. Just my two cent worth. Good luck

Re: What makes a jump dog?

Training on fox only helps a ton. If you can leave them out that also helps as they’ll develop hunt and homing skills. If you have an old dog that will produce game by itself, train them with that hound until the pups are outrunning him. Then start carrying them by themselves and make them hunt for game. Pens full of game and turnouts on sight don’t make them hunt for game. With time you’ll start to notice which pups strike and hunt best and which ones **** their head and listen. My advice is feed the strike dogs and cull the head****ers and you’ll have what you are looking for.