SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Halifax County NC

Well it looks like Halifax County NC will be the first in an effort to end deer hunting with dogs. They have proposed a new law that restricts dog hunting in this county as follows: (A) it will be unlawful to hunt deer, bear,fox or coyote with dogs without specific permission to hunt with dogs on the property where the dogs are released or allowed to run. (B) it spells out that the contiguous property for which permission to hunt with dogs is held will be at least 300 acres.(C)Fines for any violation would be $250 for a first offense as a misdemeanor. A second offense is $500. A third offense is $500 plus confiscation of all weapons in your possession.

It appears that a supposed public hearing was held on January 21 of this year but I don't know of anyone who was aware of it or I would certainly have attended and believe the courthouse would have been flooded with orange hats had they known.

The news article I read stated that County Board Chair Vernon Bryant said we as a board run Halifax County. We're Halifax County Government. No one else runs this county but us. We need to remind these commissioners that we are hunters but we are not stupid. Some of us are politically active. Most of us are voters. These county commissioners should all be voted down at the next election.

Two years ago there was movement by commissioners to impose most of these same regulations. I led a small group of hunters in opposition to this movement. I met with Mr. Bryant myself. I personally spoke with most commissioners about these same regulations. I don't understand how they could not have made it know to more residents unless they didn't want the publicity of a fight over these regulations. They may have met the letter of the law in their actions but it certainly was not morally correct.

The State Senator and House Representative that are to submit this bill to the Legislature need to seriously consider the repercussions of passing such a bill. One of those people have treaded on thin ice for several elections. This may be the straw that breaks the camels back. I will certainly place my vote elsewhere.