SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Pros & Cons of Starting Pups On Coyotes (want to make them deer hounds)

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of starting deer pups on coyotes to get the started? Once I get them started going I want to put them on deer. I'm new to owning dogs and want to get my pups started

Re: Pros & Cons of Starting Pups On Coyotes (want to make them deer hounds)

Probably get plenty of opinions on this but: PROS= coyotes are pretty easy to run in the pen because they generally run just in front of the pup so he gets to see what he is chasing. Coyote running is a lot of heads up running. This will get him interested but naturally it is bred in them to run. CONS = the heads up running generally doesnt allow them to put their nose on the ground and smell. This will definetly be needed for a lot of your deer chases. I think it is fine to get them going in the pen but if you want great deer dogs I would get them on the outside soon. It is going to be frustrating because running on the outside is generally harder than the pen but be patient. Also be careful with running the new pups with older dogs to start with. You dont want them to get used to running behind other dogs. They probably want be able to keep up with them at first. Good luck.