SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    A deer hunt

A good friend of mine lost his grandfather this weekend . He was a die hard deer hunter . Pap.Lived in PA where unfortunately they are not to keen on deer hound's or any dogs running deer it's illegal and looked down upon by hunters in the state . My friend who I raise hound's with travels to PA yearly to hunt the Thanksgiving holiday with PAP and the rest of the family . Well a few years ago we finally got PAP to VA for a deer dog hunt!! . He could not grasp the idea of a deer dog and they stank according to him . Lol . So pap got to the hunt club we got him settled in and drove the logging road mapping the next morning hunt out showing him the lay of the land and were we would cast the hound's the next morning . We then carried him to the kennel to show him our pack!! We pointed out the good ones to him ,told him storys of previous hunts and how the dogs would trail and jump and you know gave him the crash course , he shrugged said they all look the same how can you even tell them apart . still skeptical of the hunt we went in had a nice meal and prepared for the morning hunt charging the collars and trying to guess we're they would cross in the morning who would draw the lucky stand as the night faded out pap still wasn't excited me and my buddy talked and, hoping he gets a chance at a Buckingham buck in the morning .Well we wake up throw it all together and have the hound's load head down the red clay logging road with about 15 head in the box a few young fogs barking in the box pap says" hope were not hunting any were close those dogs scared any deer away ". We get pap to his stand set him up ,and go down to cut lose a on the other side of the block we were running . Dogs hit not far of the truck a good hot track they are sing that song , driving one . They take a turn and head right to pap not to long after that we hear the old pump Marlin shotgun with a hammer go off three times . Then the hound's cut off watching on the Garmin we see the hound's knotted up we rode around to pap . He's got all those Stinky barking mutts all over him praising them scratch in there ears he started pointing out the lead dogs and telling use play by play how the lil basket rack buck tryed to slip the pack by going up down a hill but then turned and came right at me with the dogs not but a minute behind him ... Turned the old still hunter from up north to a deer hound guy for life .. pap... felt like sharing

Re: A deer hunt

Jonathan, That was an excellent story. Thanks for sharing...
    rjj

Re: A deer hunt

Made my morning. Thx for sharing