SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Apples to Oranges: What traits are you breeding for now?

Bubba, I don't parti****te in too many field trials anymore but these coyote hunts and the dogs that are run in them have certainly changed. I am knocking it because I do like to see a fast hound but most of these hounds couldnt run a piece of game through a block of woods on their own. We all love those fast hounds but remember when we sat around the firebarrell and listened to a pack....and said, what dog is that? I judged a money hunt not too long ago and heard a mouth that I liked. You could tell she was holding the track right for the pack but them heads up dogs would cut right in and steal it from her. I finally laid my eyes on her to see which one it was. I would have loved to own her....especially for deer hunting. Crazy thing.....she finished dead last! I even went as far to buy the hound but he wouldnt sell her. Like I said....not knocking the dogs or the owners but that is where the sport has gone. Outside hunters.....still look for the same old school dogs for the most part. ✌

John, I'm like you. Always looking for one to help me improve. That was sort of the reason behind my original post. Give me a call sometime. I'd like to see what you have that came from my home. I have a couple of ideas what she is, but I'd like to know for sure. 312-3610

RT, the dog you speak of is like the good shipyard worker. Does 100% of the dirty work and gets 0% of the glory. 10 years ago that dog would have shined in the field trial like she shined to you the other day. Maybe the man know what he's got! The sport has definitely evolved, but I don't think it has done the breed of walker hounds much good.

Quick story and I'll shut up.

I rode to a NENC puppy series championship hunt in Creswell with Gerry probably 15 years ago. The pen had foxes and 1 coyote. (You may remember this RT. I think you were there.) The first hour or so was all fox running till they got after the coyote. They ran him for an hour until they caught him, then the running was basically over. There was only a hand full of dogs that would run a fox after that. I'm sure the smelling wasn't as good as it was at day break, but as the old saying goes, the cream rose to the top. Some of the dogs never barked again the entire hunt, and some of them barked the rest of the hunt(up and down the roads) and a very few ran foxes for the rest of the hunt. Like you said....not knocking the dogs or the owners but that is where the sport has gone.

That being said, I hope they continue to fill the pens full of coyotes and leave the foxes alone. :smiley:

I have definetly witnessed that several times. Once they get that yote scent in their nose they ain't looking for much more than him.

"That being said, I hope they continue to fill the pens full of coyotes and leave the foxes alone"

If you don't strive to get a dog with an outstanding I don't know why you go at all.

WE ARE STILL OUT HERE !!!! LOL !!! JUST LOOKING AND LISTENING !!!

LATER !!! NOT A BIG NAME FOR SURE !!!

MLM

Michael, I was worried that your internet had quit!!

LOL !!! I QUIT THE INTERNET !!!! LOL !!!! CIRCLE HAS GOTTEN REALLY SMALL !!!! I LIKE A SMART HOUND !! NOT MANY DO ANY MORE !! JELLYBEAN TOLD ME 20 YEARS AGO "THAT A FOOL WAS A FOOL AND YOU CANT DO NOTHING WITH A FOOL" DOGS ARE JUST LIKE FOLKS !!! SMART ONES CAN HELP YOU PUT GAME ON THE TRUCK !!
    DUMB ONES JUST GET IN THE WAY !!! STILL HAVE HOUNDS HERE THAT ARE AROUND 2 YEARS OLD WITH EDWARDS HORNET IN THE 5TH SLOT ON THEM PAPERS !! THEY STILL GOT SMUTTY FACES !! LOL !! SOME WONT KNOW !! SOME WONT CARE !! AND SOME WONT BE HERE LONG !!! 40 YEARS AGO I PUT MY FIRST COLLAR ON A HOUND !!! SEEN A BUNCH COME AND A BUNCH GO !!!

LATER BUBBA !!!

MLM !!!

Bubba, I'm looking a good dog & a fox to set him afta... I got a few young dogs with little potential but not much game to turn um out on....still plugging along though! (BARBER)

I feel your pain Barber. It might be as easy to take up huntin' dinosaurs. Any of them juveniles out of that Bertie Co. stock? I'll take one if you have a extra one. Give me a holler and tell me about em.

I got my running age pups thinned down to 4...prolly hold on to them..i got a litter of lil ones that have a lil of glenns,hammers & my mess mixed all together... 217-6377 gimme a call when u ain't busy...(BARBER)

Bubba. I want them as black as the ace of spades. I want them to move like a Lamborghini Aventador, have the bottom end of a Dodge Hellcat and the brains of a F22 Raptor. Sound like a 67 Shelby and have the grit of The Duke!

Unfortunately.......... I’m hunting 4 Gremlins, 2 Skylarks, 3 Fiestas and a pretty nice El Camino. With TIMMMAY from South Park at the helm!

Lmmfao Lee!! How bout that Grand Torino? Ole Eastwood had plenty of grit! We'll see can't we catch something here soon.

anthony meadows said it years ago ..very few studs will produce thier equal so you allways need to the best an stronger hounds..mentally an physically...an cull close