SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: KIDNEY FAILURE Good Outcome??

Just turn her into ur pet keep feeding her an stop hunting her all together even raising pups with her is a risk of losing the gyp.. I've lost them hunting them I've lost them wit pups on them 3-4 weeks in

Feed her low protein dog food and rub her head. If you hunt her again you'll be right back where you were.

Just curious Travis What was the Baytril for.?

It was for the infection. I reckon its acute kidney failure due to infection. The vet was great but she went into great detail about everything and I can’t remember exactly everything. I know she said her kidneys were not swollen and although the test didn’t look good it’s hard to tell just how much damage was done to the kidneys until I get some fluids in her and meds to fight the infection. She wasn’t pushy about me spending a lot on treatmeant but I wanted to give her a shot so instead of hospitalizing her the vet sold me the mess and IV kit so I could treat her at home. WAYYY cheaper that leaving her there and probably better anyway. She also gave me meds for her nausea so she can keep water and food down and that has help a lot. I’ll post an update later on.

OK Thanks for the info. missed the part about infection

I had a gyp around 4 years old with kidney failure that would not eat and throw everything up she would drink. Did not eat for a week and half .took her to a vet and her blood work showed kidney failure ,liver, and an infection. They gave her a steroid shot and some antibotics and a few days later she started back eating. First thing she nibbled on was peanut butter nabs, then hot dogs. I fed her a pack of hotdogs for at least a month everyday, plus table scraps. Now she's eating normal dry food mixed with a can of wet food. The one thing I did different was used purified drinking water we had bought when hurricane irma was headed this way. We had 8 gallons here at the house so I switched up and started her on that as a last resort. I figured her kidneys needed the most purified water I had and I was tired of looking at the water stockpiled in my refreigarator outside. T shuttle could barely stand at the time and was a bag of bones and now she is gaining weight and bouncing off the wire, back to her old self. This is the only time I had a dog to make it with kidney failure.

I've had a couple dogs die from kidney failure. I have spent a lot of time with my vet, and extensive reading online. He suggested fish oil, and a product called epaktin, you can get it off amazon like $20. Its a powder you sprinkle over their food. It helps digest the proteins better using the digestive system more and the kidneys a little less. I have been doing this for my dog. He had severe kidney failure, vet give him a week at best to live. After doing this for several months I noticed his tremendous weight gain, and took him back to the vet to get his kidney numbers checked again he said he was doing great, still suffered slight kidney damage, but he can continue on, to just not over do it. I have run him on and off since and he still seems to be doing ok. I hope this helps