SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    GUILFORD COUNTY NC;;;;;;;;NEW PROPOSED DOG LAWS;;;PUBLIC HEARING;;;PLEASE READ AND PASS ON

PASSED ON FROM NC SPORTING DOG ASSN.

There is real trouble brewing in Guilford County, North Carolina. Do you live in Guilford County? Do you know dog breeders or other hunters who live in Guilford County?
    The Guilford Co. Commissioners have scheduled a Public Hearing to consider a proposal to change their mandatory spay/neuter ordinance to include “Breeding Permit” language. Agenda Item 2017-331 is part of their regularly scheduled meeting on 9/21/17. Click here for the Commission Agenda for the Thursday 5:30 p.m. meeting, 9/21/17. The relevant Agenda attachment is Draft Animal Ordinance Spay and Neuter 08.17.

Here is specific new language to require a “Breeding Permit”:
    Sec. 5-29. - Reserved. Spay and Neuter Requirements; Unaltered Animal Permit Required.
    A. No person shall own or harbor any dog or cat over the age of six months that has not been spayed or neutered unless such person holds an unaltered animal permit issued for such animal by the department of animal services, or any successor agency authorized by law to:
    (1) Persons who own or harbor service dogs, governmental agencies that use detector dogs, or police working dogs;
    (2) Individuals who are non-residents of the county and reside temporarily therein for a period not to exceed 30 days;
    (3) Veterinary hospitals;
    (4) Persons who own or harbor a dog or cat and who are in possession of a certification signed by a licensed veterinarian stating that such animal is unfit to be spayed or neutered because such procedure would endanger the life of such animal:
    (5) A kennel licensed under the section dealing with the licensing of high volume kennels/breeders;
    (6) Any cat or dog that is classified as purebred by the International Cat Association, the Cat Fanciers Association of America or the American Kennel Club whose owner can prove that the animal has parti****ted in events sanctioned by these organizations.
    Sec. 30.-Obtaining an unaltered animal permit.
    Applicants must apply for permits required by section 5.29 above, with the sheriff Director of Animal Services or his designees . The fee for an unaltered animal permit shall be $200.00 or such fee as established by the Board of Commissions (sic) and placed in the approved fee schedule, and amended thereafter. A tag will be issued identifying the animal as an unaltered animal and must be displayed at all times.
    Note: Effective date of this ordinance is DATE 1/01/2018. For 90 days after the effective date, warning citations will be issued for unaltered animals without a permit. After 90 days from the effective date of this section (DATE citations will may be issued to owners of unaltered animals not holding a permit. If the animal is altered within 30 days, the citation will be waived. A citation will only be issued under this section if the animal is in violation of another provision of this chapter.

Do you detect the same potential problems we detect with this proposed “Breeding Permit” language?
    Here are a few of our questions and objections:
    1. I object to having to ask permission of the government to own & maintain an intact dog.
    2. I object to being forced to pay $200.00 per dog to the government to maintain the value of each intact dog I own. Neutering a hunting dog decreases the value of the animal
    3. How often does the government propose to force me to pay this $200.00 fee for this “Breeding Permit” per dog? How long does the permit last?
    4. What are the conditions of the “Breeding Permit”? What the government gives, the government can take away. Under what conditions can the government cancel my “Breeding Permit” for a particular dog?
    5. Why is the American Kennel Club (AKC) the only organization that can certify/classify my hound as purebred? There are several other national organizations that are more often used by Houndsmen than the AKC, including the United Kennel Club (UKC) and the Professional Kennel Club (PKC).
    6. Under Section 5-43 “Breeding permit/fee,” breeders must obtain a permit of $10.00 per litter, show proof of rabies vaccination of each animal intended for breeding. (See page 27 of Draft Animal Ordinance Spay and Neuter 0 . What happens if I cannot produce rabies do***entation for the sire or dam? Is every puppy confiscated? Is every puppy neutered? If so, when? Age six months is too early. Will the puppies be neutered despite my objections?
    7. Has Guilford County actually had any complaints against hunting dogs?

Please notify other hunters and citizens of Guilford County. Attend the meeting at 5:30 pm on Thursday, 9/21/17 to speak against this proposed ordinance. Encourage others to attend & speak against this proposal. Arrive early to get a seat & sign up to speak during the public speakers portion of the meeting.
    Email the nine (9) Guilford County Commissioners. Guilford County citizens can find your Commissioner here.
    Act now to protect your property rights and your hunting dogs in Guilford County.