SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: September OY Update

Todd I take no offense what so ever to your comments. I once felt much the same way you do but now have a different perspective on small hunts. Quantity does not always mean quality. This is a debate I got into several years ago with some friends out west. Their hunts had anywhere from 50 to 150 dogs while I was going to hunts with 500 or more every month. So I took the challenge and headed West and didn’t fair too well. I personally like smaller hunts not because I think I have a better chance to win, but because the hounds are going to be looked at a lot closer. Quality judges in smaller hunts will almost always pick the better hound. You eliminate a lot of the luck factor in smaller hunts. Nothing is perfect and this is just one Old Fat Mans opinion. I have been on both side of the fence and am not saying I am right, just what I think. 2 of those top 15 hounds were from Virginia and two more compete at major hunts all over the country. We have our suitcases packed and are getting ready to hit the road with Spot and Copper James and see what happens. We like competing against the best and only want what is best for the sport. From a pen operators stand point we would like to see more hounds, but will take what we get and be happy. Hope you able to make it and look forward to seeing you.

Re: September OY Update

Thanks Mr. Ray! I admire and hope to one day be in your position! We all have differing opinions, but rather than resulting to ad hominem attacks, open and thoughtful debate help foster good opinions! I've always believed that a good hound, it doesn't matter where he goes or how many competitors he has, he ought to do well and be competitive every time, if he is truly a good hound.

Good luck and I wish you all the best!