SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: September OY Update

Mr. Ray, you obviously have a very fine hound. I want you to know that I've had my concerns about the Leaderboard since I was first introduced to it a few years ago and read the rules from start to finish. Spot being the current HOY leader just happens to be a coincidence of the points I'm trying to make. I wish you and Spot the best in the final months of this year. I've also heard nothing but good things about the facility you guys have down there. Coincidentally, I actually have 3 numbers to attend the hunt there next weekend. (Still unsure if I'll be able to attend as of now though.) Regardless, I look forward to venturing out that way soon.

As for the leaderboard, it's evident from current and past standings that the wise strategy to best compete and win HOY is to compete often and at hunts with low entries to inherently have a better probability of placing and gaining more points. Hosting these events at your facility is probably an added bonus! However, the most significant requisite to this strategy is having a superior hound that is able to compete. It behooves the leaderboard committee to develop a metric with as much merit as possible to award the top hounds and individuals as fairly as possible. To that end, I encourage the leaderboard committee to perfect their metric to better reward those that travel and compete in different pens and and at hunts with longstanding re****tions that typically attract much larger entries. I've been encouraging this for quite some time, and while the leaderboard is getting closer to doing so, they still have a ways to go.

As for me personally, since that's of interest, I've been to 5 leaderboard eligible hunts this year. I've competed against approximately 1,683 hounds, and I've placed 5 dogs in the top 10. A lot of hunts that I parti****te in give a lot of money to the leaderboard. In the last two years, the association that I am currently president has given them $763. I even asked Clif to master the hunt this past year, and, from a hunter's perspective, he did one of the best jobs I've ever seen. My comments are not an attack on any particular individual or his or her hounds. My comments are sincere, and I expect a respectable response.

Todd I take no offense what so ever to your comments. I once felt much the same way you do but now have a different perspective on small hunts. Quantity does not always mean quality. This is a debate I got into several years ago with some friends out west. Their hunts had anywhere from 50 to 150 dogs while I was going to hunts with 500 or more every month. So I took the challenge and headed West and didn’t fair too well. I personally like smaller hunts not because I think I have a better chance to win, but because the hounds are going to be looked at a lot closer. Quality judges in smaller hunts will almost always pick the better hound. You eliminate a lot of the luck factor in smaller hunts. Nothing is perfect and this is just one Old Fat Mans opinion. I have been on both side of the fence and am not saying I am right, just what I think. 2 of those top 15 hounds were from Virginia and two more compete at major hunts all over the country. We have our suitcases packed and are getting ready to hit the road with Spot and Copper James and see what happens. We like competing against the best and only want what is best for the sport. From a pen operators stand point we would like to see more hounds, but will take what we get and be happy. Hope you able to make it and look forward to seeing you.

Thanks Mr. Ray! I admire and hope to one day be in your position! We all have differing opinions, but rather than resulting to ad hominem attacks, open and thoughtful debate help foster good opinions! I've always believed that a good hound, it doesn't matter where he goes or how many competitors he has, he ought to do well and be competitive every time, if he is truly a good hound.

Good luck and I wish you all the best!