SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Falling Deer Populations and the Migration of Coyotes to South Eastern States,

Bobby
    You touched on what I think is a little more important than just this predator situation. I too have been out there. Exotics and all. Talk to the folks out there at length.
    People HABITAT is very important to our wildlife. If you think RAPING thousand acre tracks at a time and then spraying them several times to kill all of the under growth so that not but one thing can grow has absolutely devastated our wildlife well then just keep on searching for the answer.
    That little corn pile doesn't fix it.
    The timber industry is in very high demand and COMPLETELY unregulated.
    The Texas deer are healthy and having multiple fawns per doe. Ours are not.

Re: Falling Deer Populations and the Migration of Coyotes to South Eastern States,

Are the coyotes making us have 60lb deer that are a year and a half old. That is not healthy and it is everywhere.
    Now don't take what I am saying as a coyote is not a predator but it is obvious. Coyotes feed on the weak and it is obvious, in pine tree world that is completely unregulated our deer herds are WEAK

What's Gary stated is spot on here in western Halifax county NC. You see fewer fawns and deer than you did before the outbreak of the disease we had a few years ago. The deer population in our area is far fewer than it was a few years ago. I believe that the coyotes are keeping the herd from bouncing back as quickly as we all hoped for. We shoot several coyotes in our club throughout the year and trap them after deer season and they still are coming back year after year. The coyotes are here to stay and only way to contain them is through depredator methods such as trapping and hunting them. I wish you could trap them year round..

Brian you are all over the place, First you say farmers are making you harest does and use permits to kill them in the off season.
    Next you say the paper company is spraying so there is little food to eat and little cover to allow for a bigger population.
    (And I do know that is happening). But how can you have a lease with land so close together to have both problems at the same time?
    I know clubs who have protested there lease and got a better rate per acre where the population is reduced due to spraying. But you have lost me on your post,,,,I hunted in the green swamp in turkey season a few years ago and half the club was sprayed and half the club managed regular(not sptayed) and I saw more yotes coming out of the sprayed areas that the other areas.

Are you saying you dont have coyote problems or you do...did the disease hit your herd a few years ago.
    Where do you hunt? Thanks for your input

MADE A MISTAKE IN MY REPLY

Should have done this at Home
    ok two folks two different things. Delete above post

First Kevin, You must hunt in an area the disease did not hit and still shoot all you want.
    I was like that too .....and after a few seasons of four hour jump times I am no longer that person.
    But if you are not carful you could be put in that situation very easy where 5 shotgun shells and 5 rifle shells last you
    for TWO seasons. Even the mighty Pocossin is down on numbers.

Brian........Yes the sprayed land will also slow the recovery alot
    SORRY I COMBINED YOUR REPLYS...... my mistake.

Buck shot and rifle balls got yawls population down.

I am 58 years old I remember the times when there were not many deer and no coyotes then 70s-80s deer like crazy jumps in 5 minutes or less to doe days and coyotes and a drop off in deer in huge quanitiies hunting all day get 1 jump with 30 dogs of good quality. WHAT WENT WRONG IMHO: obvious coyote studies show they do eat a lot of fawns , NCWRC does cookie cutter either sex seasons unlike states where they issue tags in a boundary road to boundary road area. Tags are not offered every year and change numerically based on changes in population. Here hunters keep killing as our biologist lead people to believe it's ok. We have cookie cutter management when the herd needs micro management and habitat improvement. I love to run gray fox. I seen grays in the pasture killed on several occasions by coyotes. Now grays are almost gone and I always jump a dam yote first that takes to running the roads or trails. I wished they were all dead. They put almost all the sheep farmers out of business in western North Carolina. There is coyote s--- all over the roads in the green swamp full of deer hair You deer hunters got quit killing your does and let the small bucks go.The doe season needs shut down for 3 or 4 years antler restrictons put in place and trap these yotes send them to the fox and yote pens. If untrappable kill them. A few years a go WRAL done a story on pets being Killed in peoples yards.When they interviewed NCWRS,the spokes person blamed it on the hurricanes and trees falling on the fox pens how coyotes found there way to Raleigh. With 8 lane roads, I believe they had help getting there. An old trapper friend whose now in a nursing home told me they NCWRC purchased yotes from him to put in areas where deer car collisons were a problem. Supposively he said car insurance companies had help fund the progect . They did not tell the public about this as they the public reaction would not all be good. I love running fox and deer wither I am happy I let every deer but one go this year and I don't shoot bucks unless they are big 8s or better . Wise up it is common sense politics and being unselective that's ruined the deer hunting coupled with disease and more hunters going with dad just to kill one.

You have some good views Steve, but I'd hate to see any more traps set than what they do now. 95% of the ones that set traps couldn't catch a coyote in a zoo, therefore they catch everything else that I like to run.

I hunt in VA and I don't know what the reason for the deer population being down in my area is. I know there are coyotes in the area, but we don't run them that often. I hunt with 2 different clubs and neither one is ate up with deer. We had more deer this past season than 2 years ago, but it didn't take many deer to have more than the 2014-15 season.