SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    PASSING OF A FOXHOUND LEGEND!

Sadly, today, Gary Verling passed away!

Gary made many contributions to the "fox hunting" world. From his deep involvement with the "Nationals", as well as "The Chase", and though many did not know it, Gary had the FIRST legal "Fox Preserve" in Virginia, started back in 1985.

Gary will be missed by many! He was always good for a "corny" joke, and had a great time "picking at & agitating" his many friends!

I have been told that "back in the day" he was a known expert at showing a hound, and had numerous champions!

Though his health had slowed him down quite a bit, Gary did make it to the 2016 Chase Futurity & Nationals......hunts he dearly loved!

He will be missed, but his memory will carry on into the future!

Our thoughts and prayers got out to his family!

Rest in Peace: Gary Verling

Allan Bishop
    (Jabber Jaw)

Re: PASSING OF A FOXHOUND LEGEND!

This is very sad news. I've know Gary for many years and always enjoyed seeing and speaking with him at field trials across the country. My thoughts and prayers are with Gary's family at this difficult time.

Indeed yes, Gary was a big assist to the foxhunting world. Back in days he had some awesome show hounds. Sending prayers to Family and Friends. R.I.P

Very sorry to hear of the sad news,have hunted and judged around GARY enjoyed all of the corny jokes and all of his company he will be sadly missed prayers and thoughts go out to family and to all he touched in the Fox Hunting family.

I had the honor of first meeting Gary Verling as a child back in the 70’s. At that time he was showing hounds at many of the major bench shows and was one of the best. I recall how he would kneel down in front of his hound after he or she was on the bench, and carefully place the hounds’ legs and feet so that they were perfectly set. He was a masterful showman and handler, and was a great influence on me. I have wonderful memories of Gary when he attended the Harrodsburg and Broadhead summer bench shows here in Kentucky, and he would throw a scare into the competition when he stepped into the show ring.

Gary Verling was a National Director and an outstanding Chase Director who called it like it was, and made some significant business suggestions that affected our sport for the better. I am writing this off the top of my head but if I am not incorrect, Gary judged more National Bench Shows than anyone in history with a total of four. He was an all-around Foxhunter who owned outstanding running and show hounds but more than anything, he was my friend. I am thankful for having known the gentleman behind the hounds and the positive impact he made on us all.

Susan Alewine

just being around mr gary each year at national hunt was time well spent.enjoyed the teasing we did to each other.my heartfelt prayers go out to his family.and also praise I have for mike smith,paige b and others who help get him to hunts last few years and helping him.it shows that theres great people in this sport.

Gary and I became friends over thirty years ago. At that time Gary had show dogs and was very successful at showing them. I remember Gary getting out of the show dog business and getting in running dogs. Then he became very successful at field trails. He placed several times in the All American, U.S.O., National and the Futurity. He won the U.S.O. one year.He won the Norwood Nichols Life Time Achievement Award and he very much deserved it. When Gary came up with a idea for field trailing he wasn't trying to help himself but to help field trailing. The Fox Hunting world and myself have lost a great friend.

Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

I sure hate to hear this. It will be different not seeing him on the south end of the middle kennel barn in Grenada next October. Our thoughts and prayers go out to a foxhunting icon and family

RIP Mr Verling