SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Fox Hound Question

Foxhound is the breed. The American Foxhound

So are all these dogs listed AKC or Chase registered?

I can't speak for them about their registration. Probably mostly Chase or Horn Registered but AKC recognizes Chase registration.

My friend there are a lot of registered foxhounds that will run the fire out of almost anything in the woods if the scent conditions are good enough. However, there's a huge difference between a registered or full blooded foxhound and a broke foxhound. There are few ppl who own broke foxhounds anymore. Just ask anyone that runs at the Nationals in the outside

I have been to outside hunts, they are glorified deer field trials, judges score on deer, some people I know let their dogs run out carry them deer hunting, heck, a lot of the trucks that show up to a outside hunt have deer tracks on their back glass. I know been there done that. Dogs can be broke from running undesired game. I know you cant do this in the pen but dogs have to be ran around undesired game and broke from running "trash" (Trash only depends on the hunter). I don't understand why people say they fox hunt and run in a pen either. They are not hunting. People in the pens say they don't want to catch game, to hunt is to pursue something until death. I also don't understand why people call deer dogs a fox dog. Beagles for an example, some run deer and some run rabbits, its the hunters choice.

My friend NC is full of fox hunters, I have several friends that fox hunt. They don't run in the pens they hunt for fox and cats. If you know where foxes are at there will be someone hunting them. To say there is only a few people that fox hunt an understatement in my opinion.

While we are here touching on this subject, why do deer hunters that run their dogs in a pen all summer long get so upset when their dogs run a fox while deer hunting? I mean so upset they shoot the fox. What would happen if all the fox hunters shot the deer when their dogs got after a deer instead of breaking their dogs from running them. No one would have any game to hunt then.

Yes there are a lot of people that use registered "fox hounds" to run deer. I use them to run deer however, I don't consider that "trash". As a matter of fact that offends a true deer hunter. That's what I am. And I hardly doubt u know a lot of outside broke fox hunters anymore. I know a few. And they have to drive hrs from home to find game on the outside. Just ask Mr. Reggie Edwards from Grimesland, NC... If u have never heard of him then I encourage you to do some research. He has owned the best broke foxhounds in eastern NC and sold some darn good ones he couldn't break off deer. Just saying

Mike Hodges
    Twane Ange
    Poon
    Lump
    Chris Barber
    Jeff William
    M Barefoot
    RP barefoot
    Kent Barefoot
    Coot
    Scotty Korneagy
    Pea Picker
    Harry Ennis
    M.G Futterell
    Juice
    Deno
    Dennis Tool
    Rod Vinson
    William Earl Cruze
    Gary Adams
    Warren Sloan
    Ryan Muzingo
    Harold Smith
    Jay Dixin
    Carl Dixin
    David Cavenagh
    Danny Cavenagh
    Kenny Fultcher
    Brandon McKeithan
    Jack Hill
    Will Cain
    Mr. Johnson
    Jimmy Cavenaugh
    Tay Bay
    John Patterson
    Matt Winslow
    Milton Jones
    Martin Rivenbark
    Stephen Bullard
    Ryno
    Doug ???
    Steve Skinner
    Steven Skinner

Im sure I missed a few. No research needed..

See the ******** Pretty clear I thought,(depends on the hunter in what is undesired or TRASH****

Dogs can be broke from running ***undesired game***. I know you cant do this in the pen but dogs have to be ran around undesired game and broke from running "trash" ********(Trash only depends on the hunter)******.

After reading this whole post I am confused as to why you ask the question in the first place but I have decided against my better judgment to put my 2 cent in.

1. A fox hound is a breed and is registered through the Chase or The Horn and is a reginized by the AKC.

2. A fox hound is a sent hound used to pursue game(DEER,FOX,COYOTE,CAT,ETC..)their original purpose how ever was to pursue fox thus they became known as the American fox hound.

3. A fox hound is a fox hound weather it pursues a biscuit or a fox as it is a breed. Much like a an retriever is a retriever weather they are being used as a seeing eye dog or to retrieve dead water fowl its use doesn't define its breed.

4. A lot of the people on your very impressive list use fox hounds to hunt both fox and deer although they may not use the same dogs they use the same breed just broke to different pieces of game.

5. The art of outside fox hunting is dying slowly but surly along with the attributes of the breed and how hunters determine what good is mostly due to the style of hunting has changed in the competitive side of the sport and a different set of skills is now desired to be competitive in field trials.

6. True fox hunting on the outside is very impressive and should not be looked at as less of a sport but more of a legacy and part of history of how the sport has evolved to were it is now.

7. A lot of people don't have the time money or patients to parti****te in outside fox hunting as you may know it but that's just life and weather you run deer or a mouse if it makes u happy do it and do it often.

8. Pen hunting is my thing I like it do I believe a good pen dog is a good outside dog no do I believe a pen dog is the best all around dog no but its what I enjoy its what I feed and breed for and what I will continue to do as long as I can.

All and all what ever you want to use your hounds for is up to you they were breed to pursue game they will enjoy it no matter what it may be its up to you to pick the game for them because they are just doing what has been breed in to them and that is to follow sent that makes them curious or smells good to them they are creatures of habit just like people.

Happy Hunting

Thank you Bobby for that. I think this particular fella just wants someone to argue with about all of it. I definitely don't have the time or patience for such non sense. I read everything u had to say and agreed with all of it 100%. It truly is what someone make it! Happy hunting to u all and GOD bless. Take care

I would say that if the fellows that you listed don't have a problem with it, that you shouldn't either.

Amen brother