SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Opinion & suggestion on hound

I have a 6 year old female walker that has been an outstanding jump dog and has always had above average speed. I deer hunt her and she has placed in numerous outside hunts. She is very smart and handles like a dream without the use of an e collar ever. She has always had a lot of hunt but she has started hanging up on a track whenever it gets thrown away. She will stay in the same area for hours sometime and will bark occasionally. She has always been the one that would just stay on the track and not pull up or pull off to a pack that running a hot track. This has been a great trait when running a nice buck as you know that she stay on that deer no matter what. It seems to be getting worse as she gets older. I use gps collars so I can see what she's doing. Whenever you look at her tracks it looks like a 3 year old has scribbled all over the same area. Until recently she couldn't be bought, but now I'm just about ready to give her away. Can I break her from this with an e collar is it too late to try. I've never used e collars but have access to a system if I need it. So guys, what are your opinions or suggestions?

Thanks Tim Cherry

Re: Opinion & suggestion on hound

She's getting some age on her and is doing what she does as a hunter. I would give her away or just use her in the morning when the tracks are hot. If I shocked her in this situation I would at least make sure she's been in the same spot a long time and has heard you calling for her when she is close and "she" knows she's being hard headed. I have owned a few gyps that have got this way after 5 yrs old. But some times that stubborn buck is sitting there and they will jump it after all of the hi strung dogs are outta pocket chasing does !!!! ... just my thoughts and experiences.

I can usually get to within 300 yards of her so I know that she can hear me from that far but I've walked in to get her and when I come up on her she acts as though it startles her. It's like she's concentrating so hard on trying to straighten out the track that she just don't hear me calling. That's why I felt like toning and shocking her would help me get her attention so she would come on out to me. I usually give her plenty of time to straighten out a track if it's on our club land but sometimes she gets hung up on someone else's property. I've seen where she will stay in about a 300-400 square area for over 2-3 hours. The gps shows she's moving and her tracks are all over that area. So I know she's not laying up, but it seems that she's just wollering around on an old track that she does not want to give up on. I've had older hounds get independent and just decide to run their own piece of game but she's not like that. Until she started this, she has always been an awesome hound so I don't want to give up on her to easy if I don't have to. LKK I appreciate your input. Does anyone else have any more thoughts or ideas?

Tim give me a call if you get a chance, got some suggestions.
    252-916-4660