SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    How Many Hours ?

What is everyone's opinion on the best amount of hours to run a dog at a time to get ready for a field trial?

Re: How Many Hours ?

As short on hours as you can, as many days a week as you can. 1 hour to 1.5 hours per day every day would be great for most hounds but most folks can't do that. 2 to 3 hours 3 times a week would be good also. I'm talking training for longer houred multiple day hunts.
    You don't train for a marathon by running a marathon. You run shorter distances multiple times and the absolute most you would run would be a half marathon.

Re: How Many Hours ?

There have been many theories on this subject matter my personal opinion is every dog is different some can take more running some can't personally I like to mix their hours up not run 3 hours every time out or 12 hours every time out because I don't want my dogs looking a ride after only a few hours or so broke down they can't walk which when real life kicks in an overnight run may be your only option with work and other obligations. Find out the time frame your hounds can get their bellys full and still want some more once you put them in the truck but remember every dog is different.