SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: commerical hunting

I will quote you - Why do you care how someone else hunts? You hunt your way and I'll hunt mine.

Exactly. So quit coming on a dog hunting website and whining about a couple of dogs getting onto your property.

go hunt, maybe you will actually kill a deer. And when someone's hunting dogs run you a big buck (god willing) , what will you say then about "keeping dogs off your property"??

I don't want to shoot a deer run by dogs. I don't want dogs on my land. I want to be left alone. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't respect my desire to be left alone.

Mr Wallace,

I do understand your desire to be left alone, and if you owned land near where I hunt I wouldn't go on your land to retrieve a dog unless I absolutely had to (dog is in one spot not moving for a long time). Even then I would stay within the law and walk, never take a weapon, identify myself if asked, also if feasible would contact you to let you know what was going on. I would never cast dogs on your land either. It is the way I have always hunted with dogs. I also have been hunting the same land for a long time and know a lot of the adjoining landowners and know how they feel about me possibly retrieving dogs off their property. I have come to meet a lot of landowners through the process of catching dogs, some are hunters themselves some are not. Most of the landowners are friendly, I have actually gotten hunting rights from these situations, and kindly brought them a hindquarter or tenderloin around the holidays. That's how relationships are built. Very few are like you. I have come to know the ones that are like you and avoid them and their land as much as possible. After all, I run and hunt with dogs to enjoy it.

Could I ask how much land you own?

And are you sure you wouldn't pull the trigger on a big ole buck if he happened to run with a pack of hounds behind him onto your property?

What difference does it make how much land I have? I'll be interested to hear why you think it matters.

I have an 1100 acre family farm. Three adjacent neighbors run dogs off a 150 acre piece, a 25 acre piece and a 50 acre piece.

I have an 800 acre timber tract 25 miles away that I lease to a dog club. They know if the property owner neighbors start to complain, then they will lose their lease. So far, so good.

What exactly is a property owner "like me"? I call dog owners, help them catch dogs and am cordial. What should I do, just hand them the keys to the gate?

I just wanna be left alone. People should keep their dogs off of land where they are not wanted.

And, I have never shot a deer in front of a neighbors dogs. In 20 + years, I've never had a giant buck pushed to me by a neighbors dogs. Maybe I would shoot the giant if he comes by? I doubt it, but maybe. Why does it matter if I, or anyone else, would shoot a deer in front of an unwanted deer hound?

I question your motivations in coming onto this site and complaining about dogs being on your land. Surely, you knew you would receive negative responses. Maybe you are a glutton for punishment???

I don't agree with your neighbors turning loose dogs on those 25 and 50 acre tracts next to you. If you are helping them catch their dogs and are cordial to them, they are going to keep doing it. I AM NOT advocating that you go buck wild on these boys, kill or injure a dog etc.. Here is a suggestion - Put up some locked gates on the accesses to your land - those hunters still can legally utilize their Right to Retrieve Law and walk onto your property to get their dogs - here is the kicker - once those ol boys have been forced to walk a long ways to get their dogs and bring them back on a leash (usually multiple dogs, which is no easy task) they will probably think at least twice about casting them on those small tracts again. They will huff and puff their way back to their trucks and think it just isn't worth it.

Here is another solution - Put up a 3 ft tall fence around your property. It's legal and wild game can still jump/cross the fences. Dogs cant. I have personally seen this work wonderfully on a 1200 acre tract in Powhatan County. The land owner stopped dogs from coming in and he had GIANT bucks, HUGE bear - he created his own ponderosa back there. Unfortunately for him, he fell on hard times and the land had to be auctioned but he had it all back there. The flier for the auction had a title of "sportsman's paradise" and it was just that. If you have that much land I would assume you could fence the property in and you would for sure solve all your problems and be "left alone". All by yourself

Mr. Wallace, maybe if you went on a good dog hunt you'd change your mind!!

I know you are right Mr. Jones, he needs to hear some good dogs run a buck to him and feel the hair on the back of his neck raise!