SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    RE: VLA.....Virginia Landowners Association Press Release

My family farm has been around for 65 years.

I do call the dog owners when I can catch their dogs. I do everything I can to help them get their dogs, including taking time out from my day to jump in their truck and ride my property tracking their dogs. It has always been a cordial situation. I express my desires that they keep their dogs off my land, and they tell me that they will try to minimize the dogs coming on my land. And, I think they try, but there are still dogs on my land on a weekly basis. And it's usually the same dogs. And I have no legal recourse but to keep doing what I am doing. The VLA is trying to change that, so that I have more rights on my own land. By the way, isn't it ridiculous that I have to fight to be left alone on my own land?

Deer dogs do cause me to enjoy my land less. They have messed up bow hunts, turkey hunts, field goose hunts and black powder hunts. I wish I could enjoy those hunting opportunities the way I want to, and not have my time with my family interrupted. I have a big family with 4 hunting kids and 9 neices and nephews, countless friends, aunts and uncles and I would like to enjoy hunting the way we want to hunt, uninterrupted. It stinks when I spend countless days, weeks, months and years working with my young kids to learn to shoot a bow, put up a stand, pattern a deer etc., only to have the three does coming through the woods on the perfect trail, just like we planned, spooked by deer dogs 35 yards from the kill zone. The look of disappointment on a 12 year old's face when our effort is ruined by dogs is pretty tough to take. And yes, this happened last Saturday. Similar things with turkeys, deer and geese happen consistently. Yes, our field goose spread is run through by dogs while birds circle at least 2-3 times a year. Often in January, after deer season is over.

And, I have a job, just like you, so when my free time with my family is compromised by unwanted deer dogs on my own land, well, that stinks, in my opinion.

Also,I know exactly where my property lines are.

And, I don't understand why you think this isn't' about property righs? All I want to do is be LEFT ALONE on my own property. If deer dogs and their owners would leave me be and stay off my land, I could live the rest of my days enjoying my family and friends and never have to be bothered with this stuff again. If people and their dogs would leave me alone on my property than I guarantee I would leave everyone else alone. You don't bother me and I won't bother you. You could chase deer with a pack of lion/tiger hybrids on your own land, for all I care. Leave me alone to hunt as I please and I will leave you alone to hunt any way your heart desires. Doesn't that seem fair?

Mr. Wallace

Were in VA do you live im only asking because this sounds to be a cultural problem or a group of ppl not actting in a way typical to most hound hunters. Is it the same hunter everytime?

Central VA. 25 miles outside of Richmond. 2 adjacent clubs with multiple "hound masters" in each club. There are 4 guys that I regularly talk to with when I catch their dogs. I think we have a pretty good relationship, as I am always cordial and accommodating, but I do tell them that I don't like having dogs on my property. They are always cordial and respectful.

If its the dogs you don't want on your land, put up a fence. That should take care of the problem.

Mr. Wallace,

you are an idiot.

enough said.

Mr. Melton,

Good talk.

Mr. Wallace

Mr. Bishop , was wondering if anybody from our side was at that meeting?I think those board members should hear about some of the positive things we do as dog runners when they issue those permits for field trials. We are helping raise money for fire departments,supporting local businesses,as well as doing benefit hunts for sick or injured people in the community. I feel the board members should be made aware of these things so that they can take that into consideration when they make a decision.
    Thanks,Mark

I think what Mr. Wallace is trying to say is that it is ok for everybody's dogs except deer dogs to be on someone else's property .My dogs have ran out of our property on to someone else's in the past and the landowner shot and killed the deer in front of my hounds, but hey that's ok I don't mind that but when the landowners want to call in the law after that kind of stuff takes place then yes I do have a problem with it.

That is not what I am trying to say.

Please do not try to speak for me. And, I won't try to speak for you.

I think I have been very clear. I just want to be left alone on my land.

I don't want your dogs to run a deer to me on my property. I am glad that others love dog hunting. It seems like you guys have a blast, and I hope you enjoy it for decades to come. I just don't want your deer dogs running on my land. That's it. It's incredibly simple. Keep your deer dogs off my land and I'll disappear forever, hunting my way, with my family and friends, on my land.

Mr. Wallace,

I'm curious, have you ever had one of your goose or turkey hunts interrupted by a coyote or bobcat and if so how do you mitigate the risk of having another hunt ruined by them again? Have you considered putting up a four foot fence around your property lines? At my first home when I had neighbors, I had a particular neighbor that liked to party on his back deck every other night . My wife and I are all for individual rights so we exercised ours and put up a 6 foot privacy fence. My point is we all live on this Earth together and we all must at times concede our desires/pleasures so that others can have their desires come to pass. If deer dogs bothered me on the farm I live on now, I would simply put up a four foot fence around my property and that would take care of the situation. If coyotes and bobcats were ruining my hunt then I would get some predator hunting gear and get after them very hard until the number of predators was diminished to the point that they no longer impacted my hunts. The problem with the VLA proposal is that it simply will not work and it will allow individuals with an anti hound agenda to further said agenda until our rights as Houndsmen are infringed upon or eliminated. I'm sure that we can find common ground but until both parties come together and have a sincere discussion about these issues we will continue to be dominated by rumors, propaganda, and perceived agendas. There is common ground, it is on us to find it! CHEERS TO THE HOUNDLIFE

Mr. Preas,

I've only seen one coyote on stand in 23 years and I was too slow to get my bow up and on him. If I see a coyote or bobcat while hunting, I would try to kill it. I'd love to kill either one. That'd be a highlight of my season.

I don't believe it's my responsibility as a landowner to fence your animals out. It's not that way with cattle or sheep or any other livestock or animal, not that I'm aware of, anyway. It's legally the owner's responsibility to fence animals in, as far as I know. Plus, considering the time and money it would cost to build and maintain a fence, I'd rather spend my time and money on pursuing legislation, not fences.

As for conceding my pleasure for the greater population's pleasure, I am not trying to impede anyone's pleasure. Like I said, as far as I am concerned, anyone can hunt deer on their own land/lease any way they want. With dogs, guns, bows, spears, cannons....whatever they desire, have at it. I am not trying to stop someone's pleasure, I just would like to try to prevent people from impeding on my pleasure.

The VLA proposal, which is identical to Florida's, worked in Florida. And, similar (actually MORE restrictive) laws worked in Georgia and Sourh Carolina. Dog hunting is alive and well in all three states, decades after the laws changed.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply,

Maxwell

As a land owner and fox hunter in Tn. I respect your position Mr.Wallace.I have had fences cut, 4 wheel drives in my wet fields and cows gut shot with arrows ,all in the name of the deer hunting brotherhood. But you must also realize the still hunter like your self and deer dog hunter are one in the same to the true fox hunter.We do no blood sport.Our way of life is basically never to be agin....Do any deer hunters care?

I care. I think it stinks and I'm sorry to see you lose access to hunting the way you like.

Sounds like to me you have a criminal problem in TN. What happened to you are all criminal acts and can be reported to both your sheriff'so office and the local Game Warden.

What I'm dealing with are not criminals. In fact, they aren't breaking any laws, because there is a fox hunting loophole in our deer chase laws that says one can run foxes 365 days a year. Coupled with VA's right-to- retreive law, I have little legal recourse to keep unwanted dogs and people off my own land. I'm hoping to help change those loopholes.

FYI, I've allowed mounted fox hunts on my farm. What a great sight to see! The local club asks permission, tells me when they're going to come, shows up, has a great chase and at the end of the day, they and their dogs are gone, not to be seen for another year. And me and my kids get to see a great spectacle. A win for everybody.

You would think law enforcement would be the answer, but unfortunately the prosecution of these type crimes require eye witness or admission of guilt.And as you know deer hunters are quite stealth.With years of fox hounds being killed and deer estimates of 15 to 25 per square mile the fox hunting that was a sportsman's sport is dead .And it has been for 30 years.I hope land owners and gun hunters in Virginia the best of luck in their struggle. I know the fox hunters in Virginia have had their share of problems trying to hunt on their own property without harassments from government and public forces as well....Good luck to all and stay civil.

RE: VLA.....Virginia Landowners Association Press Release...William Jones

You or I neither one live in va. I do hunt there on occasion though and my family owns a considerable amount of land there. In this part of the world, if you have a dog box on your pickup, you have a label in the public eye... Deer hunter. We also have to fox hunt the same tracts of land as the boys deer hunt. Therefore, we as fox hunters stand behind our deer hunters in there battles. I bet Mr. Maxwell would be equally as upset if you were to run a fox through his bow hunt as he was when the three nannys got spooked off. It doesn't sound to me like he has people trespassing as you do. Have your dogs ever ran a fox in a hole on posted land? How did you handle the situation? Do you not hunt 2000 acres that you have permission for because you dont have permission for the 60 adjoining acres? I dont think so. You do your best to stay away from it. Some folks just hate to see anyone enjoy themselves. That being said, if the tables are turned and the dog hunters have 60 acres to hunt and 2000 that they cant, they didn't have anywhere to dog hunt to begin with unless they were rabbit hunting.

I don't know much about VA but it seems like what you are calling the "foxhunting loophole" is actually just foxhunting season but you are acting as if fox chasing was invented as a way for people to chase deer year round and get away with it. Foxhunting is not a clever slight of hand designed to extend deer season although you are probably not the only one that thinks so. I got the AL dept of conservation to open a daylight hours foxhunting season on a local WMA so we could have field trials (nighttime foxhunting was already allowed). The first time we had a hunt we were accosted by a US Forest Service officer who told us he knew we were just trying to create a chance for us to run deer outside of regular deer season. The only way I can explain this line of thinking is that there are lots of idiots in this world. Most foxhunters would be just as happy or happier if all the deer in the world suddenly vanished. Not to take away your sport but from a foxhunters perspective a deer is for the most part a hindrance and not a benefit.
    The "foxhunting loophole" concept uses the same logic as the anti gun lobby. Criminals misuse guns so we must ban guns. A deer hunter ran his dog out of season and called it foxhunting so we must ban foxhunting.

Like I said you there is no fox hunting here.Hasn't been for many years.Deer were the economic winner for the state.Thus the death of fox hunting in Tennessee.I saw the problem that the deer dog men are dealing with years ago when neighbors turned on each other over the big buck deer.Its old news here.I drive 125 miles one way to run coyotes in a pen in Ms....And I own 500 acres in Tn. that is impossible to foxhunt on.

The problem with a law like Florida's for instance would be my hunting club is located on a state dirt road and we lease the land on both sides but some sorry a** land owner can ride through there pick up the dog who was where he belonged and take him their place and file a complaint about the dog being on their property just to be a jerk and don't think for a minute that hasn't happened. One landowner called my cousin about one of his dog's being at their house and when he got there the dog didn't have a collar and he asked where was the collar and he said that it didn't have one so he asked him well how did you know who to call. We lease land in my other hunt club beside people that don't like no hunting of any kind, dogs or not but yet complain about the deer eating up things and are worried about coyotes and their pets. They don't want you to ride down the state road by their place in hunting season but they think that it's okay TO RIDE THEIR HORSES ON YOUR LAND WHENEVER THEY FEEL LIKE IT. I hit a deer and wrecked my truck on the STATE ROAD that they live on and my truck ended up in the woods and the first thing out of the landowners mouth was do you know that you are on private property. I guess in their eyes you have to pick where you are going to have an accident. We could raise he** or call the law but we haven't just trying to be neighborly, hoping that they will change, but maybe we should call the law.

Exactly right!!! Great Post

Mr. Wallace, after 10 years of dogs being released from the road onto our posted property, our electric fence being manipulated so the dogs could get under it or the fence getting cut by the hunters( I set up cameras that showed the activities) we spent 18,000.00 to have a mesh wire fence put up. This year the first year after we fenced around 30 acres the hunters went to the wooded end of the property and released the dogs again on posted property, and they still ended up at the barn endangering us, the stock and destroying the hunt of the tree stand hunters that we rent the property to each year. If you think that we should bear the cost of fencing our property because you want to not take responsibility for where the dogs go, you are wrong. You need to bear the responsibility of hunting not poaching. Joyce Miller

It seems to me that you have a cultural issue as well in your area if you have pictures of the criminals invading your land have you taken legal action to help in stopping those at fault, or are you just typing a fairy tale story on a dog hunting forum hoping someone will respond in a rude and unprofessional way so you can feel better about your self and your ideas on dog hunting. I hope you can understand my stand point on your comments while much of what you say could very well happen it is in my experience that much of these types of stories are often exaggerated or made up completely to paint a picture to help sway opinions of others in to thinking in the way of the one telling the story. Now if you truly have these issues and can provide the proof I would be interested in see it and I myself would do what ever I could to help solve the issue you are having with hound hunters in your area because that is not the actions we promote out of our fellow hunters.

Thanks,
    Bobby Newman

What happen to the land of the free. This day in time, it's everything a average person does is wrong in somebody else's eyes. You cant even turn on the tv, radio or internet because it's always something negative about some peoples way of life or enjoyment in life. I love the outdoors, hunting, fishing and all sports. I have been a houndsmen also. It's know telling the field trials I have ran in or judged, also the money I have spent at a benefit field trial for someone that was sick, a benefit for church youth group, on an on. The look on there faces is priceless when a lady sitting over there crying and receives a donated gift from a hound field trial. It's sad to read all the post about hounds on here. The money the houndsmen spend in a year puts a lot of food on the table for someone trying to make a living in life. You know its the same going on with firearms, now it's dogs running thru the woods or across a field. If we keep going down the path we are going the United States is going to have nothing it's ALL going to be gone because we the people aren't as one and trying to work as one to make EVERYBODY happy so life would be better so we can enjoy what the good lord has gave us. There's always a answer and away to make life simple but the people behind the desk needs to step up a find away to make both sides happy so they want take everything away from the tax payer, because it's not the hounds fault. I think all hunting clubs needs to work with the landowner to make them safe and happy so we can enjoy there land and we the houndsmen can still enjoy the hobby for another 100 years and also the landowner work with the houndsmen also but it takes two and IT CAN BE DONE.....

You are right Bryan, the American people this day in time aren't as one like many years ago. I'm a land owner an lease three farm for my crop and there is a local dog running club that have been hunting on my land and they treat me and the land with respect, they know not to drive in the field, if it's wet stay put and don't keep driving back and forth. This is also told at the local outside hound field trial that is done around my farm, respect my land and have fun. Also I'm a big turkey hunter and my nephew love to bow hunt, the clubs know to stay off the land (with hounds) that part of the season because thats what we do for enjoyment. They all do it and I still get my bird for the next thanksgiving and he gets has deer harvest with the bow to, when dog running season comes in they run there game like they want on my land, everything goes as plan. The VLA or land owners needs to work with the dog hunting club to set rules on hunting there land. Really when they turn the hounds out they smell the scent an just run where the game goes, when they loose the scent they stop running and with the knew tracking systems they have today (the money houndsmen spend on the GPS is thousands of dollar to the economy along with feed and etc.) you can retrieve them off your land in 15 minutes an be gone. But anyway hope both sides can come together and work out the problems so they want just take dog running away because that just will be unbelievable.