SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    For the old school guys

I've heard if you looking to one day 4-5hr power then you would want to breed to a one day champion.... A 3 day champion don't produce a one day champion cuz they don't give it everything think they got in 4-5hrs what's yall opinion

Re: For the old school guys

WRONG!!! Besides why would you breed FOR a champion. I thought we bred for
    SPEED, for ENDURANCE, for HUNTING ABILITY, for ABILITY TO PRODUCE GAME, for
    a hound WITHOUT FAULTS. WHAT IS NICE IS WHEN THAT HOUND WINS A CHAMPIONSHIP.
    BREEDING FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN THIS PRODUCES AN INFERIOR HOUND.

Thank you I like older guys opinion they alway know the right in wrong

Its all in how you train them if you want one day hounds or 3 day hounds, you can make a dog put out 200% for 4 hrs are make him steady for 3 days All in Training dont matter what breeding!

Breed for three days and hope for one day speed. Without toughness and track running ability you are left short handed. You can't better your pack by pedigree seachin get in the field and find a TOUGH hound with the traits you want. But b4 you go breed to him make sure the gyp your hauling to breed is just as good or better then the male ur planning to breed to!!!!!!!!!!!! Never seen a one day or puppy hunt special with bad feet three day

Not sure I want to call myself old school yet but I am probably getting close to that group, Glen for sure old school :)

I have heard this debate for years and everyone got opinion on it not right or wrong.

Stoncipher used to like to have 3hr dogs, lot of one day 4 hr hunts and then we got 3 and 4 day hunts.

My thoughts are I am not going to have different dogs for different hunts, I like to puppy hunt a little and one day occasionally, I like 2 and 3 day hunts especially 3 day hunts as that is the way to make a FIELD champion and that to me is (IT) I like run for championships. I also love pleasure running especially day light that is lot fun.

I believe good is good and can do it anytime and anywhere - example I know Skid Row that PD own, will thrash u in 3 day and heard could tear it up in one days also....that what I be looking for one that can do both, plenty fast and can cross the finish line and look good doing it.

Be good
    Lenny

I breed for game,strong,all night hounds. Not a particular breed or field trial do me or my hunting partners breed for. We like the same type of hound. If I can make somebody think they need to pep up their stock by hunting with them on Saturday nights then that's as good as most field trials. Breeding is a crap shoot! Breed the best you got to the best you can find. Forget high powered stud dogs. That's if you think that's the only way to get a good dog. One day dogs have come from every breed in the country because they have all produced dogs that blow it up early but aren't game enough to go all night. And some 3 day dogs pace them selves as to make them last. They are from all blood as well. Old school is wanting the same type of hound out of every cross you make or every pup you buy. And gameness is the most desirable and hardest of the trait to get. Not 5 hr 3 day gameness but 10-15 hour gameness. Just an opinion of hunter trying to get a good one

If you think the breeding dosent have anything to do with it you have a long row to hoe. There are lines of dogs that dont like certian types of game and If you breed dogs that dont like a fox to foxhunt, you wont be very sucessful. The same goes for coyotes, deer, bear, rabbit or whatever else you may hunt

On the laws of avg it does make a difference agreed. Totally agreed. But who's to say a dog known for getting speed demon s won't get piddlers on occasion and vise versa. Worthlessness will show up. But if you go through enough of any line you can get something of all kinds good or bad. That's a fact.

I agree that there are bad apples always in the bunch. I also agree that breeding is a crap shoot. That is why we cull. I just like to start with something or at least a stock of dogs known for doing what I like to do. It seems to better the odds.

Agree that's what I meant by the laws of avg. happy hunting