SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Judging Hounds

my opinion..today..everyone wants a big scoreboard...at whatever cost.the national rules has a 10 minute time limit,others have 5,,,a lotta hunts today want every crossing to count...every crossing..even if judges are standing togather should count...I've never agreed with this...but it is what it is,without a time limit,I've stood at a crossroads an scored a hound three first place crossings in under a minute,by national rules,only one crossing would have counted....today if different,everyone wants a high scoring hound

There are cases where father and son, boyfriend and girlfriend, one experienced and one non experienced judge are together. IMO this is fine and can actually help if the experienced calls out numbers and the other rights them down. Pen owners like to see high scores but nobody likes to see their hound put up dots when they could have been in the top ten at multiple crossing but the judge couldn't log the numbers fast enough by himself. The more dogs that get scored the more accurate the scoring will be for places 5th through 20th. Any judge can catch the first 2 or 3 dogs.

If the score sheets were posted,it should have been checked with the two judges and everything should have been good to go.

One thing to remember is that when a hunting club puts on a hunt not all judges are dog men or experienced and they do the best they can.

If they are running a masters or national computer scoring program, then the computer will automatically keep the highest score in the 5 or 10 minute time intervals and throw out the other ones.