SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Preserving the Hunt Club Model and the VaHDA

Brad Melton
    Great Post John. I, and many others agree with you. Chances are if you are on this site, you have grown up hunting this way. Hunting as a club, with dogs, with family and friends, enjoying quality land and quality times. That is how I grew up hunting and that is how I intend to raise up my 2 boys hunting in the same fashion. - IT IS A WAY OF LIFE -

This way of life is under attack and it is very concerning- I believe Sunday hunting, baiting, commercial hunting outfitters, and the attempt to end the right to retrieve are all examples of how certain groups are attempting to end hunting with hounds/dogs. Thankfully, the baiting bill and an attempt to amend the right to retrieve law were voted down in sub-committee just recently.

The commercial hunting outfitters CAN stroke big checks - and buy up that bear island, mead/Westvaco/ or even private land tracts that you are currently hunting. They want to plant a million food plots, dump corn on the ground, put up a million game cameras, "grow" and have an out of state client pay good money to "harvest" a mature buck. It doesn't seem much like hunting to me and nothing about "hunting" that way gets my blood pumping. Might as well have a buck staked to the ground and shot at 10 yards. These outfitters and even QDMA private land owners who hunt this way with all the cameras, food plots, and "no dog hunting" signs all have one thing in common:
    THEY FEEL LIKE THEY CAN OWN A DEER -

There is one main thing stopping these outfitters from coming here - they will not write those checks, spend the money implementing food plots, game cameras, tripod stand over bait sites - to have a pack of hounds come on their property and take "their" buck out of this country. How can they "guarantee" to their client that they will take a mature buck when all the adjoining properties hunt with dogs? THEY CANT! That is why they, along with other non-dog hunting groups are trying to do away with dog hunting in general- They are so scared that someone else will kill "their" buck that they will go to great lengths and spend a lot of $$ to see dog hunting go away from VA.

I hunt with hounds and I also still hunt with the bow and muzzleloader in the appropriate seasons. I hunt this way without cameras, food plots, bait etc.. To me, not knowing what is out there in the woods you hunt is exciting, the unknown is what keeps you coming back to that spot where you saw that massive rub line or scrape line. You know a buck is out there somewhere- there are camera systems that send updates to you by email right to your smart phone that will show when a buck walks across your camera and takes a dump at 3 in the morning, and you want to set up on him at 530 the next morning? To me, all the technology creates an un-fair chase scenario. I think all the food-plotting and game camera use takes away from the excitement of going into the woods using your knowledge and- HUNTING!

We in VA and across the south need to support groups like the VaHDA and others that fight for our rights at the government level, there are a lot of people and groups out there who want to see our HERITAGE and hunting TRADITIONS ended. So, Support these organizations in any way you can!

AND REMEMBER, YOU CANT OWN A DEER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post and we really need to do whatever is nessecary to maintain our way of life.

Re: Preserving the Hunt Club Model and the VaHDA

Brad Melton
    Great Post John. I, and many others agree with you. Chances are if you are on this site, you have grown up hunting this way. Hunting as a club, with dogs, with family and friends, enjoying quality land and quality times. That is how I grew up hunting and that is how I intend to raise up my 2 boys hunting in the same fashion. - IT IS A WAY OF LIFE -

This way of life is under attack and it is very concerning- I believe Sunday hunting, baiting, commercial hunting outfitters, and the attempt to end the right to retrieve are all examples of how certain groups are attempting to end hunting with hounds/dogs. Thankfully, the baiting bill and an attempt to amend the right to retrieve law were voted down in sub-committee just recently.

The commercial hunting outfitters CAN stroke big checks - and buy up that bear island, mead/Westvaco/ or even private land tracts that you are currently hunting. They want to plant a million food plots, dump corn on the ground, put up a million game cameras, "grow" and have an out of state client pay good money to "harvest" a mature buck. It doesn't seem much like hunting to me and nothing about "hunting" that way gets my blood pumping. Might as well have a buck staked to the ground and shot at 10 yards. These outfitters and even QDMA private land owners who hunt this way with all the cameras, food plots, and "no dog hunting" signs all have one thing in common:
    THEY FEEL LIKE THEY CAN OWN A DEER -

There is one main thing stopping these outfitters from coming here - they will not write those checks, spend the money implementing food plots, game cameras, tripod stand over bait sites - to have a pack of hounds come on their property and take "their" buck out of this country. How can they "guarantee" to their client that they will take a mature buck when all the adjoining properties hunt with dogs? THEY CANT! That is why they, along with other non-dog hunting groups are trying to do away with dog hunting in general- They are so scared that someone else will kill "their" buck that they will go to great lengths and spend a lot of $$ to see dog hunting go away from VA.

I hunt with hounds and I also still hunt with the bow and muzzleloader in the appropriate seasons. I hunt this way without cameras, food plots, bait etc.. To me, not knowing what is out there in the woods you hunt is exciting, the unknown is what keeps you coming back to that spot where you saw that massive rub line or scrape line. You know a buck is out there somewhere- there are camera systems that send updates to you by email right to your smart phone that will show when a buck walks across your camera and takes a dump at 3 in the morning, and you want to set up on him at 530 the next morning? To me, all the technology creates an un-fair chase scenario. I think all the food-plotting and game camera use takes away from the excitement of going into the woods using your knowledge and- HUNTING!

We in VA and across the south need to support groups like the VaHDA and others that fight for our rights at the government level, there are a lot of people and groups out there who want to see our HERITAGE and hunting TRADITIONS ended. So, Support these organizations in any way you can!

AND REMEMBER, YOU CANT OWN A DEER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post and we really need to do whatever is nessecary to maintain our way of life.