SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Building a good veterinarian Relationship

First off I would like to say that there are a STINK pot load of people on here that should be Veterinarians !!! Y'all are spot on.
    The reason for saying that is that WE as hounds men deal with everything.. the good the bad and the ugly. Probably the majority of the times we beat the bad and ugly by asking for advise and listening to it.
    In some way shape or form we all deal with everything under the sun involving our hounds, house pets and Heck, even ourselves.
    With that being said. Each of us need to build a relationship with a veterinarian that understands our concerns, needs and expectations.
    My kennel is very fortunate to have that. I cannot stress enough that whomever you chose as a vet, talking to them and explaining yourself and what your expectations of them are go along way. After all it is YOUR money that they are getting so they should understand that. Building a good relationship with a vet is imperative when even the Best advise doesn't seem to help.
    But remember..........
    Even their diagnosis is a SWAP though !!! ( Scientific Wild A** Guess) sometimes!!

All comments and replies are appreciated.

Good luck, and Happy Hunting

Re: Building a good veterinarian Relationship

I have over 50 years experience with hounds and do most of my own veting, I'm sure like a majority of us. But I too can relate to all Scott is saying. When you need that Vet, you need him. I have had some vets that you could talk with and share experiences and I have had a couple, though not for long that knew it all and you were just ignorant. I once needed to visit a new Vet, upon meeting him he said he was young and from Indianna and had a lot of experience with cattle and I told him I was sure he knew alot more than I did about cattle but I probly knew more about hounds, he grinned and told me , you probly right. I told him that I was looking for a Vet to get what drugs I may need and he could bet if I came to him with a hound, I was in dire need. That lasted for awhile until he just priced himself out of my budget. Majority of the time I will question a Vet about a problem, listening to his thoughts and practices, but he knows when I call I'm in dire need. I will say that it will be a sad day when something happens to my Vet, for me and alot of others. I probly shouldn't say it but the best thing with our relationship is I can get just about anything I need to self vet and no problem. Hope he doesn't read this but he still only charges like $10 for a office visit. I'm not scared to tell him when I'm doing something from my way of thinking and see what he thinks of it. Lot's of times he tells me what I'm doing is right and similar to what he would be doing. He is old and contancous sometimes and I will get back on him only to see that little grin come on his face. I do incourage all owners to try and find a nice common ground with your Vet and build a good relations.

Agreed. I have a good vet that I can talk to.

Finding a good vet can be a challenge. Most are treating house pets and few are familiar with hunting hounds. We have been very fortunate to have found a vet that treats our house pets and our hunting hounds. He prices very fairly. We always are provided with treatment options and the price, and parti****te in the treatment plan. We have had great success with lots of problems, from injuries incurred in the field to illness. We have a hound over 12 years old still going strong, thanks to his care. If you live anywhere near Moyock, NC you would not go wrong using this vet. We try to manage what we can but we don't hesitate to take the dog in when needed as the vet is good and fair.

Exactly,
    We all need the help whether we want to admit to it or not.
    Uncle Wayne you and Meade have probably forgot more than I will know.. the knowledge that Y'all \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ We have built through the years is PRICELESS. Sometimes it is very frustrating to take a hound to a vet with an issue knowing dang well what is needed to FIX or Solve the problem and have to go through the formalities to get them to understand. Which costs more... BUT on the other hand I have been hard headed thinking I knew everything to fix the problem and have Him say NO you are wrong and this is what is needed.
    My point being is .. Communication, Respect and confidence among each other.
    My Vet knows my limitations because we communicate and he knows I have all confidence in him and WE Respect each others input. I hope everyone can Build a Good Relationship with your veterinarian .
    I am very lucky to have a hounds men and veterinarian all rolled into one.
    Thanks Dr. Brian Morris at Corban Veterinarian in Charlotte Court House Va.
    He has always done me right and been honest with me. He had some mighty big shoes to fill when he came here and in my opinion he has done well.

Always remember.... Don't judge a book by it's cover...after you Read the book then you have the right to judge any part of it you want

You have a good one there, Dr. Morrison is a houndsman and understands a working dog. He is also a board member on the Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance. He is working for you.

I have the same situation here with Dr. Tracy Eure. He too is a houndsman and a great vet. We don't hesitate to take a dog in to see him.

This is a good point and good conversation. Just like our kids, we may watch them a day or so but when we know they are sick, we go to the doctor. Same should go for our hounds.

Well said Wayne Most young Vets. Work on small dog cats and not working dog. Don

Well said Wayne Most young Vets. Work on small dog cats and not working dog. Don