SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    HELP WITH SICK DOG

Need help, a dear friend of mine has a pitbull pup (5 months I think) that is sick. Won't eat, can't hold down water at all, throws it back up. Is very lethargic and the vet says it's too soon for Parvo test. The vet gave him fluids, and antibiotics but that's about it. I recommended to her to try raw egg spooned down his throat, she's gonna try it. Also told her he needed to be on IV fluids if he's not drinking. I suspect Parvo, although she said he had his 7 way shots as a puppy, but I know sometimes those aren't always good, depends on how they're kept and handled.

Told her I'd ask ya'll, since although I've raised dozens and dozens of dogs and doctored a lot of them myself, I know a lot of you have raised hundreds and know much more than I do. Any help is appreciated.
    Godbless

Re: HELP WITH SICK DOG

Really? 4 hours later and not a single response??? But 4 responses for a dog that's scratching? My friend's dog is on the verge of death and this is her only dog and best friend. Told her I'd be sure to get some advice from the folks on here, used to always be people offering advice on sick dogs. This forum sure ain't what it used to be.... Reminds me why I quit visiting everday... Not mad, just disappointed.

Definitely needs fluids, pedialyte is what I recommend if not on iv. Sounds like parvo. Is his stool bloody.

No hard feelings but if the dog was that bad she would have left the dog at the vet. The vet should still be able to check for parvo never heard of being to early.. Make sure u give her fluids an try raw egg or tuna fish

Try caned mackerel. ..ive always been told if they dont eat that then they prly wont make it.....even experienced it a few times.but it does sound like parvo .I agree with last comment never heard of to early to tell..good luck and hope the dog makes it..

Could be cocsidiosis, tell her to try Corrid you can get it from any local feed store like southern states. I used to mix it in 5 gallon buckets and let them drink it for prevention but would shoot it down the throat if they came down with it. about a teaspoon per gallon of water. Cocsidiosis looks exactly like parvo but doesn't have the ammona smell like parvo and it will take a pup away just as fast as parvo. Tell her to get the powdered and mix it herself cause the liquid only comes in gallons and its about 90$ the powered is only around 10$. And tell her good luck and if she rasies any more pups she might as well plan on using it again if it is Cocsidiosis cause its there now and no getting rid of it like parvo not even bleach and water will kill it. Hope all goes well with the pup.

IV b 4 it dehydrates, corrid and we have even gave a little b 12 to hype them hope it makes them drink water or try to eat, if it's not dead by morning it's proly not parvo

Take all the advice given and get a new vet.

The symptoms that you describe regarding this pup could indicate a number of problems. The first that came to my mind based upon your post is that the pup may have a blockage somewhere along the gastrointestinal tract. You mentioned that you believed he had received his 7-way vaccinations at a younger age and if this is true would minimize the chance of Parvo or another associated disease. Pups have a way of ingesting objects that might not digest or pass through the bowel. In this state a dog will not eat nor can they keep food or water on their stomach. In the absence of a disease maker in a blood sample or fever, then I would suggest an x-ray of the abdominal area of the pup that might yield a possible clue to the problem. Good luck to you.

Susan Alewine

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFORMATION. She told me she took to another vet, which I had also recommended she do, and they tested for parvo and received a faint positive so he's undergoing intense treatment and will stay at the vet for the next 4 days and the vet is hopeful he'll make it. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFO

Could be distempor...but in vet hands is the best medicine