SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    IF YOU DONT THINK CALLING AND EMAILING DOESNT HELP READ DELEGATE EDMUNDS LETTER FROM THIS WEEK !

SIGNIFICANT LEGISLATION:

-The bill to reform the Tobacco Commission co-patroned by Senator Frank Ruff and Delegate Jerry Kilgore, HB 2330, is being debated in the agriculture committee. I feel that it's extremely important that we monitor this bill closely in order to preserve this most critical economic development tool for southern and southwest Virginia.

-The two bills that caused the most calls and emails to my office this week were in opposition to HB 2343, baiting animals, and HB 2345, the right to retrieve dogs from private property. Both these bills were given a long hearing in the Natural Resources sub-committee and both were "passed by indefinitely", which means they will not be considered any more this year.

-The House of Delegates passed two bills this week to trying to make college more affordable in Virginia. One bill will put a cap on the athletic fees that Virginia colleges and universities can charge their students. The other bill will give small and medium-sized Virginia schools more flexibility to cut wasteful spending and reduces annoying reporting requirements. I believe both of these bills are taking a step in the right direction to make college more affordable for families in Virginia.

-Del Margaret Ransone's "Right to Try" bill passed from committee this morning. This bill gives terminally ill patients, under care from their physician, the right to receive experimental medications. This gives those patients a fighting chance that they wouldn't otherwise have. The legislation is expected to come to a vote on the House floor early next week.

-As a co-patron of HB 1277 for Industrial Hemp Farming, I am very pleased to announce that it has cleared committee and is being discussed in the House. I see hemp farming as an important opportunity for the farmers in our region to have an additional cash crop.

- I encourage you to follow the actions of the General Assembly. Any legislation can be read in full on the Virginia General Assembly website, http://virginiageneralassembly.gov/. A wealth of additional information on the legislative process can also be found on this site. In addition, you can actually watch video for the House by clicking on the link on my website, http://www.friendsofjamesedmunds.com/.

Re: IF YOU DONT THINK CALLING AND EMAILING DOESNT HELP READ DELEGATE EDMUNDS LETTER FROM THIS WEEK !

Exactly!