SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Valbazen

Best Article I've ever read on Valbazen use. Has been posted here multiple times over the years.
    ------------

Re: VALBAZEN
    Puppy info is toward the bottom...

The article was in the November 1999 issue of the Rabbit Hunter. This article was titled “Another Old Product with a New Use. This article was also in Full Cry.

The use of Valbazen cattle wormer for the control of tapeworms and prevention of the viral diseases of Coccidiosis and Glardia. I’d like to get in several good licks on this product and its use before we turn loose here.

Valbazen is the brand name and it is a derivative of albendazole. After checking locally, we found Valbazen available in 500 cc bottles at a cost of around $50.00. If this seems to be a lot of wormer at a high cost, think on this order. You can share to medicine with your fellow dog men. We do that here with Ivermectin used for heartworm prevention.

Then too, when you think about the cost of treating a pup with Coccidiosis at the vet’s. $50.00 is a bargain for a product that takes care of tapeworms and prevents the fungal virus killer that will kill about half the pups, which come down with it.

Let’s take a look at the dosage for dogs and puppies. The amount to be given is much higher than we’ve accustomed to in administering Ivermectin monthly to kill heartworm. Valbazen will not only take care of tapeworms, but also whip; round and hookworms are euthanized as well.

How should Valbazen be used on your adult dogs? Of course, when they have visible signs of tapeworm infestation the only way I’ve been able to do this is to look at your dog’s stool immediately after he excretes it. You’ll see segments of tapeworms slowly moving about in the stool. They look like and are the same size of grains of rice.

If you wait longer than a few minutes, these segments burrow into the stool and disappear. When you break open the stool, they will already have dried up and you won’t know your dog is infected.

So, Treat your adult dogs when they have these parasites and about every six months to prevent full-blown infestation. Your females should always be given a dose of Valbazen before breeding to rid them of any tapeworms. These parasites can be transmitted to her unborn pups and most wormers are ineffective for them.

Now let’s assume that your female is worm free when her pups are born. A dose of Valbazen at two, four, and six weeks of age will take care of all their worm problems if they have any, including tapes. After this, I’d recommend a dose of this good wormer every two weeks by weight to prevent the possible fatal consequences of an attack of Coccidiosis. I’ve lost pups to this malady up to four months of age. Therefore, I’d say it’s best to continue the dosage till at least this age bimonthly.

Now, to the dosage for pups, administer 1/10 cc per pound of weight. Valbazen is an effective product and, like Ivermectin, has a very wide safety margin. So you’re not going to hurt your pup with this medicine.

The dosage for adult dogs would be multiples of the rates for pups. Give 1 cc per 10 pounds of weight. Now, for a dog that is already heavily infested with tapeworms. Treat him two days in a row. Let’s suppose that you buy a pup that hasn’t been given Valbazen and it comes down big time with Coccidiosis. Then follow this schedule. Administer 2/10 cc per pound of weight the first day. On the second day, go back to the regular rate of 1/10 cc per pound and give the same on the third day.

A three-day treatment will usually take care of your pup. If he is still a little droopy after the third day, then treat him two more days for a total of five. Folks, sometimes no matter what you do, you’re subject to lose a pup. I’ve seen them put on IV’s at the vet’s when they were very sick with Parvo. Even with the very best care they could possible receive, some would make it and some wouldn’t. After the five-day treatment most pups should be well on the road to recovery

May I stress very adamantly the importance of preventive measures. It has always been better to prevent disease than to threat it after you have it. So, start those pups at two weeks of age on Valbazen and build up their immunity to protect them against Coccidiosis and Glardia.

The author is George Blaine. The article was in the November 1999 issue of the Rabbit Hunter. This article was titled “Another Old Product with a New Use