SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Garmin range question

As the owner of 2 320s and a brand new alpha I've got a question for other owners , what kind of range are you guys getting ?? I have 30s 40s 50s and tt15sJust still not satisfied with the range am I being to picky ?? We hunt in fairly thick cover down east if that matters so your input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Re: Garmin range question

I hunt on the coast of nc I'm gettin about 1 to 3.5 miles some collars track better. Any where past 2 miles it's in and out.

Don't know if this helps, but I just checked mine while running inside a fox preserve on Saturday morning. I had to run back home to pick up something, and lost communication at 6.1-6.3 miles...was running 6 TT10 collars on my Alpha!

When returning, the Alpha started picking them back up at 2.6miles, but at 2.2 miles had all 6 back on the screen.

As a side note, I had the antennas tucked into the collar ring, and that will cut down on distance, and also was tracking from the roof mount antenna!

Extremely happy with my Alpha system! I was very disappointed with my 320, never could get it to track more than 1.5 miles.

Hope this may help give you an idea!

Allan Bishop
    (Jabber Jaw)

I had 2 TT10's and 3 TT5's on my alpha and then 2 dc-40's on my 220 on Saturday. With the long range antenna on the alpha it was about a mile range. With the 220 it was about 3/4 mile range. With the 220 on the roof mount antenna I got about 2 miles before it started dropping in and out. With the alpha I'm getting over 3 miles with it steadily tracking em. They were in and out of swamps and bottoms and kept tracking them good. I did notice the faster the update rate the less they dropped in and out with the alpha. Big thing I like though was I cast at 8 in the morning. At 1 a.m. I had a dog still running. Changed the update rate to 2 minutes from 5 seconds and at 8:30 when I got him up it had half the battery left. Also I'm using the aftermarket roof mount antenna not the Garmin one

Donnie,
    When we were running in the summertime, we would get 4-5 miles regularly with the Alpha's. Since deer season began, I would say we get somewhere between 1.5 - 2 miles. I assume that is because of the number of Alpha collars (I have the TT10) in the area at one time and the interference issues. None the less, it is a heck of a lot better than holding the wand out the window and stopping every 1/4 mile to look for a dog, only to find he is heading the other way when you get to the other side of the block. In my book, GPS systems are the best thing since sliced bread for the hound hunters, and I myself was a skeptic of them in their beginning stages. I know my wife thinks so!!LOL!! I am PRETTY confident we are hunting the same terrain and areas! LOL!!!

10-4 on the same area Tyler just got the alpha and was expecting that4-5 mile but only getting 2-2.5 so guess it's about right ! Hope you guys are knocking them down we have been doing OK nothing to brag about maybe we could all get together before season goes out !# happy hunting