SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Garmin Alpha: Training to Come When Toned

WE HAVE BEEN HUNTING W/SHOCK COLLARS FOR YEARS NOW & WITH MY KNOWLEDGE,WE MAY HAVE RUINED ONE HOUND & SHE WAS A BAD GYP.THAT BEING SAID,WE ALSO CAN RUN OURS 1HOUR OR 5 HOURS.EVERYBODY HAS THERE OWN VIEWS & OPINIONS ON THINGS.I JUST PURCHASED A BRAND NEW ALPHA LAST WEEK & HAVE USED MY BUDDIES ALL SUMMER.THEY ARE 2ND TO NONE IN BY OPINION.I HAVE HAD QUICK TRACKS,220,&320.THEY WERE ALL GREAT IN THERE SHORT ERA,BUT THE ALPHA IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED FOR DOG RUNNING.IF YOU USE IT RITE YOU WILL NEVER REGRET BUYING ONE THAT'S FORSURE.

I LUV GOING HUNTING AS MUCH AS ANYBODY,BUT I LIKE GOING HOME MORE THAN ANYBODY WHEN I'M READY TO GO.

GOOD LUCK & IF ANYBODY WANTS TO TALK DOGS SOMETIME GIVE ME A CALL.256-307-0884

To each his own, but I like having mine to hunt with me instead of me hunting them. I deer hunt and enjoy it so much better since I converted to dogs that handle. I think a whole lot of outside hunting problems would go away if dogs handled better. I will say this, it starts in the yard before I carry them hunting, they need to know what is going on.

Hi, Mr. Newman -- Thank you for your comment. This is a good discussion. I totally understand your concern about micromanaging the dogs. My goal in training with the Garmin is to teach the dogs a recall. It's easy for me to teach them to come when we're in the yard, or at a friend's house. Distractions are few. I'm a firm believer in "catch your dog doing something right", so from the time they were little puppies, I rewarded them whenever they were lying down calmly, when they responded to their names, when they voluntarily come over to stand or sit beside me. They walk down the street on loose leads, they know how to sit, stay, lie down. They even know how to go use the woods rather than poop in the yard. I only use praise and treats as rewards, not lures or baits. They live in the house with us, but are free to go outside as much as they want.

I use the tone solely for recall. The hunters I know can hit the tone button, the collar on the dog beeps. When they hear the beep, they know to go back to the truck/gate/clubhouse or start looking for the owner. I wouldn't mind calling for the dog, but I can't yell that loud.

I have to teach them the recall because otherwise they'll stay out all day or all night. If I had my own pen, I wouldn't mind, but I can't leave them at someone else's place all day or overnight.

The way I've been teaching the tone is the same as I would teach them to respond to hand signals. First, the dog has to already know the behavior I want. So for the recall, he already has to know to come when I call. I put the collar on, then simultaneously say, "Archie, come!" and give the tone (beep beep beep beep beep). As soon as he turns or takes a step toward me, I encourage him. When he gets to me, lots of praise and a tiny piece of hot dog. Now that he knows what the beep means, I don't have to use my voice at all. When he hears the beep, he comes running over.

Once the response to the tone is solid at short distances, I can increase the distance. When distance is increased and response is solid, I can use a mild buzz as correction if the dog doesn't respond. I tried it on the inside of my arm and it's just a vibration, another way of getting their attention. It's like the equivalent of giving a tug on the rope when teaching them to come.

These two dogs are my first hunting dogs ever, so I am taking everything slow and easy. I didn't even start them until they were nine months old, and they just turned a year old last Thursday. I talk to other hunters in person, but I like hearing everybody's thoughts and experiences.