SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: concrete or dirt

I live in the low country of SC . Never heard of rock dust , we may call it something else . Can someone please enlighten me on this. Thanks for all the comments and help

Rock dust is very fine gravel chips or dust, it will pack very hard but the dogs can still dig but usually the puppies do most of the digging. Will harden up pretty good if rained on otherwise it will be loose and dusty. Some have broomed in quick create on the the top and wet it down to make a hard top layer. Sounds like over time it will break up. I like it, keep pads tough and easy to clean and inexpensive. Can be bleached like concrete but may take a little more to do an adequate job but bleach is cheap. Should build a 2X6 band or border around kennel and lay 2X4 wire down first to make sure they dont dig out.
    Hope it this helps.

well they say concrete bad on the joints and yall say to put down rock dust and then put sackrete on top and wet it down to form hard top layer now we back to concrete kinda confused on this one

Some folks call "rock dust" the same as others call "screenings". It is the fine particles that go through the crusher. It will pack quite hard if packed, good drainage, and fairly easy to clean. It is easy on the feet & joints too.

I spray mine with bleach to help with some insects, but primarily as a sanitizer, and keeps down any urine smell. In the summer, the hounds can dig a hole to lay in & stay cool, but all you have to do, is fill it back in, tamp it down good, and good as knew!

I would recommend it be a minimum of 8"-10" deep, & do put wire under it, & they cannot dig out. My kennels are about 14" deep, and I did them that way because it helps with drainage!

Good luck, whichever way you go.....gonna be some hard work, no matter what!

Allan Bishop
    (Jabber Jaw)

Thanks everyone for the advice