SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: sick pups - please help!!

Darron I have been using sa***uard for a couple of years and have never had anything like this to deal with. It was suggested to me to try the panacure to make sure It was not a worm problem. I finally got my hands on some Albon late Saturday to give to them. I have had a hard time locating any sulmed or any of the sulfa based products in or around Goldsboro. I lost one late yesterday and I have one more that is sick. He looks like walking death. He is not eating much of anything. I have tried chicken and mackerel. I am currently pouring a dyne and Gatorade mixture down his throat. He had a black semi solid stool this morning. That is the first time in over 2 weeks that it has been anything but water constituency. He is very week and I hope that he may be on his way to recovery. I have made some mistakes dealing with this mess but I have learned a lot. I current have been putting Corid in the water of the 3 that are doing great. I will continue this for at least 21 days. I appreciate all the advice and welcome any more that y'all have to offer. Thanks again guys!!

Tim Cherry

Tim,
    I might have missed it in the early part of the post, but everyone seems to be assuming its a coccidiosis problem. The symptoms you describe are also identical to a problem I have with my pups consistently that comes through ground water called giardia. It's a parasite that's treated with metrodonizole or Primor. You might try putting them on cheap distilled water and giving them one of those meds if nothing else works. Just a thought.

Will I was assuming to it was coccdia but it may have been something else like giardia. I lost both of the last 2 that got sick and have two that seem to be back to normal. One of the the ones that died stayed sick for most of two weeks. He got better for 4 or 5 days and then took a turn for the worse. The other that died got sick and died in a couple of days. They got sick late Thursday and with the holiday weekend it was hard to find medicine in my area. I had some friends reach out to me with medicine and suggestions and I really appreciate all the help. I am currently putting Corid in the water for the 3 healthy pups. I sure wish I knew what it was so I could try to prevent it in the future.

Thanks again guys
    Tim Cherry

TIM , I THINK WE MISSED THIS ALL TOGETHER ITS PROABLY HOOK OR WHIP WORMS ,I KNOW U HAVE WORMED THEM BUT I HAVE SEEN SOME BUILD UP IMMUNITY TO THESE THINGS THAT WE ALL USE ,YOU NEED TO GO TO ANOTHER WORMER ,SAD THING IS A VET TRIP WOULDA PROABLY SAVED EM AND CUT OUT ALL THIS SPECULATION --DAVID BAILEY

David you may be right. I have never seen 3 get sick at the same time from worms. They were all throwing up and had lose black stools. Two of the 3 that were sick at first have gotten better and seem to be doing just fine. I have been using sa***uard does anyone have a suggestion as to what I need to worm these puppies with? The stuff you gave me seemed to work and the one that died got better but just never could put weight on him and he got sick a second time. Then one of the ones hat did not get sick at first got sick and went down very fast. Thanks so much for your help.

Tim Cherry

DRONTAL WILL DO THE JOB THE BEST WORMER YOU CAN GET

DRONTAL PLUS IS A GOOD ONE BUT ITS BASE FOR HOOKS AND WHIPS IS PYRANTEL PANOMATE --SENTIENAL IS THE BEST HOOK WORMER OUT THERE -DB

Tim I had a litter if pups do like this one time and gave them albon just as needed and all died but 2 and I think the shots I gave were bad. Black stool sounds like it could have been Parvo but I could be totally wrong just another thought

Well guys had a friend that got a littermate from me about 5 weeks ago. His got sick and died over the weekend. He did get her to the vet late Friday and he was told that she did have coccidia. But she was severely infested with hook worms. The vet told him that when pups get sick with coccidia that it weakens them down and the hook worms take over. She said that most people are not worming their puppies long enough. She suggested 10-12 days instead of 3 days in a row. This seemed to be what was the issue with my pups. I was so focused on the coccidia that I was not treating them enough for hook worms. I am putting Corid in my remaining pups water every day and will until they are at least 6 months old and will worm them for at least 10 days in a row. They look so much better than they did 3 weeks ago. I have raised pups for over 25 years and never had issues like this come up. I sure learned a lot and I hope it helps some of you guys in the future.

Thanks for all the friends of
    speeddogs for all your help and concern,

Tim & Jonathon Cherry

Thanks for keeping us undated I know this experience may have help a lot of us

WORMS IS CAUSING YOUR PROBLEM

You are correct. But it all started with the coccidia. I was so focused on the coccidia that I was not worming them with a heavy enough dose and a long enough period. I know now what I should have done and I am putting it on here for other people to learn from my mistakes. I had a lot of people try to help me and I really appreciated it.

Tim Cherry