SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Garmin

TT10 AND TT15 ARE BASICLY THE SAME THING EXCEPT THE TT15 CAN BE USED WITH THE 320 ASTRO. GARMIN BROUGHT THE TT5 ABOUT BECAUSE IN UKC HUNTS YOU CANT HAVE A COLLAR THAT CAN "CORRECT" THE DOG SO THE TT5 WAS DEVELOPED FOR COON HUNTERS THAT COMP.HUNT AND FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT NOT EVERY HOUND NEEDS A SHOCK COLLAR TO LEARN OR TRAIN WITH.
    ALLAN IM WITH YOU,I JUST GOT MY ALPHA SYSTEM TOO BUT IN MY CLOSET I STILL HAVE A BEEP-BEEP BOX AND COLLARS BECUASE I FEAR ONE DAY THEM SATTALITES UP IN SPACE WONT BE THERE FOREVER AND THAT GPS SYSTEM WILL BE JUNK

This whole thing is so confusing. I expect to buy a Garmin system within the next month, but it is tough to figure out exactly what I need. All the websites I've read all say pretty much the same thing. I have yet to find one that tells exactly what is needed for someone who's starting from scratch.

I'm still trying to figure out if I need to put an antenna for it on my truck.

If you are starting from scratch buy the alpha and either the tt10 or tt15. They are the latest collars And box that garmin makes I love mine. I would definitely get the roof mount as well.

A long whip(5 foot?) vhf antenna roof mount is a must for hunting the outside...

When we download BirdsEye imagery, we put it on our laptop or desktop computer, is that correct? Then would we use an SD card with a USB adapter to get it to the Garmin unit? Does this go pretty smoothly?

About the roof mount antenna ... I guess it expands the range of the Garmin for if you're hunting in a large area? Just stick it on your roof and plug the Garmin in. What's the difference between the VHF antenna and the Garmin one? I'm guessing the VHF is stronger? This is a stupid question, but how does a VHF antenna read the satellite signals?

Thank you to everyone who's explained stuff so far.

The garmin antenna is VHF also. The vhf long-whip antenna just gives you much more range. I've picked up mine as far as 4.5 miles away in good conditions. All garmin gps collars use a combination of gps signals and vhf signals to pinpoint the location of the dog.

where can you buy these antennas , thanks