SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    New Updated Birdseye Maps on Garmin Alpha and Astro

To all my Garmin Alpha and Astro hunting buddies and users... If you haven't updated your birdseye maps in the last month, I suggest you do so.. I learned that they updated birdseye and now the maps are 10 times clearer... I held my alpha beside a alpha that was bought sun and had been loaded with the new maps ... there was NO comparison... Im in the process of reloading all my maps in birdseye now... you will need a ACTIVE subscription to birdseye and if you already have it on your computer you will need to clean all of your maps off of computer and handheld... I didn't want to have to redo all of mine but it was worth it once I saw the difference... If I can help please call or message me .. 252- 217-7941.. Also any of your local dealers should be able to assist any of you if you have any problems or questions... or Bill Grey and his staff at Outdoor Dog Supply will be glad to assist you if you don't have any where else to turn.. 757-498-0101...

Re: New Updated Birdseye Maps on Garmin Alpha and Astro

Neil is right.... New maps are the way to go... no comparison. ..

Todd Wilkins
    Wilkins Outdoor Products
    804 586 0345

Just to clear this up and i understaand I have to delete base camp off my computer and re download it to my computer and re download all my maps that i already have? Dont want to have to do something that i dont have to. Thanls for the information guys.

No just delete your birdseye files and re download them.....

Guy's its real important that you don't try to max out the size of the area you are downloading at one time it can cause your alpha to shut down or not power on. I recommend less then 200 gigs for each block,you can still do multiple blocks. I also recommend high instead of highest, we have downloaded them side by side and on your handheld there is almost no difference. Also if you add the 24k topo it is important to disable the 100k. If anyone has questions or needs help feel free to call myself or the staff.
    Beach Billy
    Outdoor dog supply
    www.outdoordogsupply.com
    757-498-0101

I just can't figure out why the maps are not updated. I get what Rosebud is saying about it being more clear and not as cloudy but the MAPS themselves are 4 to 5 years old. I have a number of brand new maps downloaded on my unit in the last 2 days and the same timber is still showing that has been clear cut and reseeded at least 4 years ago. You would think they would get it like Google Earth.

The old maps had a haze over them like a picture that is "washed out" by overexposure light. The satellite images might not actually be new. They might be from several years ago but the images themselves are clearer and more crisp. I reloaded some birdseye images of a couple fox pens last night and now the haze is gone. If you like to use birdseye you will like the new images better. I don't think I would pay the $30 for another year of subscription just to download clearer maps but if you have a current subscription is is worth the time to reload them.

I done just as Todd said.. I cleaned everything I had on birdseye now im reloading all my maps... Beach Billy was right in the high vs highest resolutions ... I could hardly tell any difference other than I could get more area on my 4GB card.. Killer, its hard to keep up wid the timber crews right now on your maps... new maps today with trees are cut downs tomorrow so I guess that's y it is like it is... plus it keeps some thinking involved in it... I hope this helps out... Happy hunting..

I saw some folks kinda bashing Garmin up here last week or so... and I agree to some extent.. Garmin made this for bird hunting, and they are a map gps company... and ive heard all about this Marshall thing for 5 years now and no gps so until they come out with it and show its better.. Im more than happy with my Garmin... folks say well they don't care for the hunter or they have to many problems but look at your favorite vehicle manufacture.. every dealership has shops because its man made and has problems... Garmin has made it possible for a person like me to be able to hunt around purple paint and black top highways and have fun doing it... I will stick by them until someone can step up and do better... but I guarantee theirs will come with problems too.. just my two cents on the matter.. Happy Hunting

Rosebud
    252 217-7941

What is the big difference with 24 k topo vs 100k topo?

The newest 24k gives a way more detailed map with road names verses rout numbers, it will even list the nearest address. It also is more detailed with small creeks and off-road paths. It is important to know the 24k takes up way more memory so I wouldn't try to add a great big area (more than a couple hundred square miles). Also be real careful with some of the after market topos they did great in the 220's and 320's but can lock up or greatly affect the performance in the alpha.

Thanks for the info more road names would be helpful. So the best would be the one on the Garmin site.

Having a little trouble wondering if anybody can help me. I redone everything like yall said deleted it off my box and put the new back on and now when i cut my box on it says invalide birdseye file and dosent show any birdseye on box. tried another box and everything worked fine. any suggestions

That happened to me one time and a certain file was uploaded twice. You may need to remove it and try again.