SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: VHF and garmin

Kevin,

VHF will interfere with the Garmin. Garmin's tracking frequencies range from 151-154mhz. Most VHF frequencies people talk on frequencies of 152-160mhz. We use the VHF and when I tone/shock a dog with my Alpha, you hear it come through the radio. I would just spread your antenna's apart as far as you can from each other.

The VHF radio will kill your Garmin. The frequencies are too close together.

Garmin told me to keep my long range antenna and VHF antenna at a minimum of atleast 3ft apart and to keep my VHF radio on low or 5 watts instead of 25 watts. I learned this the hard way after burning up my old astro 220 a few years back and upgraded to the 320. This info came from Garmin themselves wen I was trying to figure out how I fried my 220. I hope this helps. Basically the farther apart the antennas are the better as long as the VHF is on low.

Mine may burn up tomorrow, but thusfar, I run a 75 watt Yeaseu and a Garmin Alpha, antennas mounted as far apart on toolbox as possible, but coax runs into truck in the same hole, and I have had ZERO issues as of yet.

Joseph,

The Alpha's are supposed to have a filter built in them to filter out the radio waves and prevent burning them up. I too might burn my Alpha up tomorrow, but so far I've had it since Dec. 2012 and have seen no signs of the "burnt" issue like I had with my old 320.

Does make me wonder if I am slowly burning it up because I can hear the shock and tone through my VHF

Haha I dunno. It took mine about 3 or 4 years before I burnt it up. Well before it got to the point where it wouldnt track anymore.

Jonathan we still hunt with cb radio as you probably know, I can hear the shock and tone come through the cb as well, always wondered what that meant but was never sure.

I have fooled with this before and know alot about it I just wanted to see what real world experience has taught others. I know that reddogradios.com makes a filter for garmin, very expensive, he also makes a filter for CB frequency as they can "fry" a garmin too, with right power or relationship of antennas. I was just going to try a vhf and did not want to have issues. I figure mount one on hood and one on back of dog box would probably be sufficient... thanks for all input