SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

Hunts and Hunt Results
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Carson Community FHA 1 Day Speed and Drive @ Poole's

Carson Community FHA will be holding a 1day speed and drive hunt to benefit the Carson Vol. Fire Dept. and the Carson Community Hunt Club. Listed below are some of the details.

Poole's Foxhound training preserve
    March 5, 2011
    Registration will begin March 4,2011 7pm-11pm
    Open again at 4:30am March 5th
    Roll call around 6 am
    Cast at daybreak

Prizes include
    trophies for top 20 in each class
    field trial blankets for top 5 in each class
    tracking collars for winners of each class

Raffle prizes include tracking collar, dog food and other nice prizes.
    50/50 drawing

For Numbers call Chris Miller @ 804-586-2807
    Please come out and join the fun.

lost perspective of running hounds,

I think to much is put on s/d and hearing a big race, b4 anything is threw at me i run hounds to hear a race and expect to hear a race. however thats not what its all made of and about,
    I have recieved the chase for many years and love to read about hounds of the past, stories of hound so and so with a group of hunters out for a night of hunting,and running hounds, in the stories there is a lot of talkk about hound so and so taking the lead from another hound or several hounds pulling to the front, how they no what hound was what, Because they knew what there feeding, they knew there hounds bark, ETC, there is also a lot of notes put on when the race would get quite, or hounds make a loss, most important notes go with this,
    At cast in 90% of the articles after the cast the hunters start a camp fire and wate, what for, to HEAR the first hunting hound Strike a track, As soon as the first hound stikes all attention goes to that hound who is it how is he doing is the track good with notes of the track getting better and then the addition of other hounds getting into the mix, with every bark more hounds join in, then they jump and the race is on.
    Who does this, anybody that runs hounds should be, its called listening for a hubnting and trailing hound, You cant have a race without something to get it started and you cant keep a race without a hound capable of picking up a loss, I may be the minority but when I run my hounds I listen for who makes the track first, then who joins in and works the track to the point of the jump, once the race is on if it gets quite I listen to see which hound picks it up and carries it on,. What is most exciting is that when you are working on starting young hounds and you hear your favorite pup get into a race and take the lead, when he is the first to strike a cold track or pick up a loss, When that young hound gets in the front of the race and with his young voice holds out in full cry, Crosses the path in the lead and never misses a beat, You know that you have done what you set out for and that is a Good Cross bringing GOod hounds out into the woods to compliment your pack. Have I got it wrong is this not the goal when you raise a litter of pups the first time they do all of what it takes to be a COMPLETE HOUND

Re: lost perspective of running hounds,

You are not wrong at all you are right on brother.
    Lynn

you are right read what i put under the rule change
    if a hound cant hunt and trail what good is he we quite field trialing when they went to all the local hunts went to pen any dog can sight race game in a pen
    we have placed dogs all over the country in the 70s
    i think the rule change is wrong i went to a hunt and had dogs in speed and hunt that didnt hga and some had all speed no hunt or trailing and hga how can a dog be a champ if he cant trail or hunt if he cant product his game i dont feed him i can drive my truck around the path happy hunting

Just because a dog did not score hunting and trailing at a FIELD trial dont mean it can hunt and trail means he/her was not in the right place and right time to get scored in hunt and tailing. But if that dog wins the S/D he /she was in the right place most of the time. I dont understand this thinking that a S/D winner must be a road runner that cant hunt that is the most crazy thinking I have ever heard. One of the best 1 day dogs in this area in a long time Ipocks Stinger was a real fast dog that could turn on a dime with a piece of game wether it was a gray fox a deer or a coyote matter of fact he was better outside in my opinion but he placed in S/D in about 60 one days and won the s/D in I think 12 or 13 of em. Just my HUMBLE opinion and NO I dont own Stinger

This is very simple. Most very fast dogs know how to hanle a track like it is tied to it. If you want to hear your dog trail then go to the outside, if you want to hear him hunt ( good luck unless he is a babbler ). Think of field trialing like nascar. Do you want to go to a race and at the start the driver jumps out of the car and has to put on his tires, fill it up with gas, and then drive through the infield until he finds the track. NO is the answer!!!! The driver who hows to do nothing but drive fast usually just crashes out but the 1 who knows how to navigate the track and find the right line will find his way to the front. Field trialing is alot of luck with a nice dog. You have to be seen to be scored and sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesnt. If you know what you are feeding then it shouldnt matter if you dont place. If you win that just gives you a chance to brag and gloat for a few days.Fieldtrialing is a chance for everyone to get together and have fun and if you judge your hound on what someone else seen then you might need to re-evaluate your program. Just my 1/2 cent worth.

KENNY DEAN/BLACK LABEL KENNELS
    This is very simple. Most very fast dogs know how to hanle a track like it is tied to it. If you want to hear your dog trail then go to the outside, if you want to hear him hunt ( good luck unless he is a babbler ). Think of field trialing like nascar. Do you want to go to a race and at the start the driver jumps out of the car and has to put on his tires, fill it up with gas, and then drive through the infield until he finds the track. NO is the answer!!!! The driver who hows to do nothing but drive fast usually just crashes out but the 1 who knows how to navigate the track and find the right line will find his way to the front. Field trialing is alot of luck with a nice dog. You have to be seen to be scored and sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesnt. If you know what you are feeding then it shouldnt matter if you dont place. If you win that just gives you a chance to brag and gloat for a few days.Fieldtrialing is a chance for everyone to get together and have fun and if you judge your hound on what someone else seen then you might need to re-evaluate your program. Just my 1/2 cent worth.
    WELL SAID.

Lil John I am just like you I do not want a dog in there hunting or trailing when there is a race going on in hearing distance. But I dont pen hunt so I guess I dont get what all the fuss is about.

Just saw this looking to see if anyone had white cat top and bottom female forsale I came across this. The nascar post was. To irressitable not tto respond to.
    If u have judged any amount of hunts then you know that if and when runniing breaks down it is a lot like a nascar race the road runners are running laps around you. I once wrote down hounds numbers at a hunt I was judging. The running broke down and where I was at is where the last race ended in a pipe. From that point I had about 65 dogs that ran laps around the block where I was judging. I counted 38 hounds passing by me 12 times. Around 15 or 20 went 6 to 8 times and only a few went by once. 3 that went by me once set off into the woods and after about 40 minutes jumped. Every hound running laps came down the path I was on as the true hounds were coming to the. Path. It took the game flanking up and down the path 3 or 4 times before it could cross because so many hounds were running up and down the path as the race got bigger hounds going to the. Running the game crossed and there was an awesome race for 5 minutes the 20 plus hounds ran the roads to the. Next crossing took the game in and the race was soon over. And back to the nascar laps they went. Sad thing is some of the hounds that were leading each lap placed. It was a s/d only. Soo for you to compare nascar and running hounds you can say you are on the money. Not all hounds that place in s/d are road runners that has a lot to do with the pen and the terrain. I just can't see calling a road running game stealing hound a ch. My opionion and free to voice it. Again not all hounds that win or place are road runners but rest assured more than 1/2 are......

As far as most fast hounds running game like it is tied to it you got it right they have got to be tied to it because if their not as soon as they loose site of the game they loose the race!!!
    And that's the rest of the story.
    Some of the fast hounds can hold a track if they have hunting ability and no how to let their brain catch up with there legs and realize they lost site and now they got to use the first thing in front of them and that is there nose. Most however just keep trucking on till they see there next piece of game and lasso it tie up annd go thru a block of woods get there score and as soon as the briars and thickets cut the rope its same scenario all over again!!!
    As far as that goes I wish the old rule for cunning runninng scratch would come back into play. If the rule was used correctly it would be the most used red line in a trial.
    When a pack of hounds cross a path with there eyes set on a piece of game and 5 minutes later they come back out to the path without anygame in front and do it over and over that should tell you about the hounds. No pipes or holes for the game just a thick patch of woods game not caught.... makes u go hhhhmmmm.